Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about long-term career in programming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

also... it'd do no harm to know a bit of PHP, MySQL and getting them up and running with APache... all learnable very quickly and used in many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Just a few pence. If you do stick with MS technologies, go with C#. VB is no longer in favour with MS. Moving to Java could be an even better choice, that's what I myself did. Bruce Eckel also believes VB is close to Java and I thoroughly recommend his Thinking in Java (http://www.mindviewinc.com/Books/). C# is also OK as it's built after Java. I did some work with C# and many things are quite neat but I still love Java more than any other language, maybe, only except VB. VB was the king of RAD and the only language that came close to its height, in my opinion, is Java (despite all their differences). C# won't ever be a cult technology as VB or Java, but it's the best RAD language on Windows now, I agree. With regard to studies, I do think formal education is important. I actually just finished my second degree with DIT but I wouldn't recommend this institution, to be honest. If you have spare time and money, do some evening courses, it disciplines quite well.

Advertisement