Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ventilation Ducting - Insulate ?

• 01-10-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

To ask the question folks...

I am curious about MVHR ducting that is run in the ceiling in the basement and ground floors above the plastboard ceiling. As the plasterboard has no insulating properties I guess this void is a similar temperature to the room below so insulated ducting would not be essential.

Is this correct or should you use insulated ducting everywhere ?

thanks in advance !

p.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

Folks,

I need some sort of heads up on the above, can you suggest anywhere that I can get this information from ?

Many thanks. P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Take it from the logic point: A HRV system not only extracts air from heated/habitated spaces but from all ventilation openings. Bringing the warm air through cold spaces(unheated rooms) via the ducting So before the warm stale air has reached the heatexchanger it will have lost some of it'senergy content in places where there is no use for it.
    And the same goes for the pre-warmed fresh air coming in.It'll loose some of it's energy.A simple ventilation system would be as efficient as an uninsulated HRVU-if it's uninsulated ducting will loose energy before this energy has reached it's destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

ducts in heated spaces won't require thermal insulation . if your basement is unheated then both the ducts and floor construction between should be insulated

floors over basements require 60 mins fire resistance- I would rather worry more about this Baudreline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

Thanks guys, I always like to hear other peoples viewpoints and bounce ideas of other people... it usually helps me arrive at a good solution.

Both upper floors in the house are precast slab and screed so they give a good degree of protection. I am aware of the issue you raised about fire and the ducting in your other thread sb and this is something I am looking at too.

Thanks again !

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭holdfast

the Passive house guidelines suggest 60mm to 100mm insulation around the pipes. It does not indicate if this is in an unheated space or heated but I would aim for that anyway to ensure your are getting the max COP

• Advertisement
Advertisement