Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depeche Mode

Options
  • 01-10-2008 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭

The Depeche Mode website has announced that the band will be holding a press conference on October 6th, 2008 in Berlin, to announce their future plans. Presumably, this means an album and tour for next year.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The Depeche Mode website has announced that the band will be holding a press conference on October 6th, 2008 in Berlin, to announce their future plans. Presumably, this means an album and tour for next year.

Cool.
    A propos of nothing, "Enjoy the Silence" is one of the most beautiful songs ever.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion figure in my list of all-time favourite albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

tech77 wrote: »
    Cool.
    A propos of nothing, "Enjoy the Silence" is one of the most beautiful songs ever.
    :)

agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Violator's incredible. Songs of Faith and Devotion is so-so.

For a newcomer to Depeche Mode, I'd recommend their singles collection 1986 to 1998. Wouldn't bother with anything prior to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I saw them at the paridisio club in Amsterdam way back in 1980

Jeez........i'm as old as they are :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Dudess wrote: »
    For a newcomer to Depeche Mode, I'd recommend their singles collection 1986 to 1998. Wouldn't bother with anything prior to that.

I agree that The Singles 86>98 is an excellent introduction, but I wouldn't write everything off prior to 1986. While there's no doubting some of the early stuff is incredibly naive and dated, I still rate Everything Counts and Shake the Disease among their best singles, and there are some great tracks on the first four albums.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

Everything Counts and Shake The Disease are indeed great songs... but the original studio recordings are very insipid in my opinion. The first time I heard those tracks was on 101 (legendary live DM album from 1988) and these live recordings absolutely pee all over the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I still rate the studio version of Shake the Disease, but I agree that the Pasadena Rosebowl version of Everything Counts is superb, not least for the big singalong finish which brought Dave to tears. Bless.

Oh it's such an awesome performance... :)

Advertisement