Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced vegetarianism and the climate change conspiracy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

I hardly think suggesting that people should cut down on their meat consumption amounts to forced vegetarianism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

taibhse wrote: »
    I hardly think suggesting that people should cut down on their meat consumption amounts to forced vegetarianism

agreed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Only if I get into power, which is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭taibhse

Only if I get into power, which is likely

YAY!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

"The report found the meat and dairy sectors together accounted for just over half of those emissions; potatoes, fruit and vegetables for 15%; drinks and other products with sugar for another 15%; and bread, pastry and flour for 13%."

so we could cut out all non-meat products from our diet and cut food based carbon emissions by half? ....atkins diet ftw :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

taibhse wrote: »
    forced vegetarianism
    If that was to come about I would imagine it would be due to a call against cruelty to animals, and rather than called forced vegetarianism it would be called a ban on eating meat, same thing I suppose, but no "forcing".

I am a meat eater, but am always surprised that eating meat is actually still legal, when you think of other things that have been done away with which were considered normal (or at least legal) at one stage, like slavery, recreational drugs, women not voting, blatant "legal" racism. I expect kids today find it hard to even believe smoking was allowed in the workplace! I could imagine some time in the distant future when people are saying "they actually used to breed those animals to be eaten in as late as the 21st century".

The "norm" is what people are used to, if nobody ate meat ever then if somebody suggested it you would think them a nutter, or even if they did eat it once but it was now illegal people would just accept it, esp if they grew up and it was always illegal. Just like many extreme heavy drinkers would not think of taking cocaine, yet in the early 1900's cocaine was readily available in dublin pharmacies and widely used, people just forget about older traditions pretty quick, one or 2 generations on.

Many people will like to figuratively "get away with murder" if you let them, and at the moment it is legal to murder animals to eat so people do simply get away with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I agree with you rubadub. I don't eat it because, I will create my own laws to follow which I think should be followed. Similar to how I break a law if I do not agree with it without a second thought.

The only solace I get is that I believe it will be as you say in the future, with people banning killing animals for dietary pleasure. It would be a long time though, even though there are hundreds of millions of us.
    For the time being I am happy with my company of Einstein, da Vinci(used to buy caged chickens and set them free apparantly), Newton, Pythagoras, Voltaire, Plato, Socrates, Gandhi, Shaw, Tolstoy, Tesla and Spock. Screw all those famouse smart meateaters. :D

I would rather we were called Pythagoreans like we used to be instead of the recently coined vegetarianism. Heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh yes :) good list Tar. Makes me proud.

Advertisement