Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom Lino Damp

Options
  • 01-10-2008 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I pulled up the lino in the bathroom yesterday and the floor was black with damp & the linos underneath was wet also. The bathroom has no windows and only has an extractor fan. I don't think there is a leak as under the bath is dry. Any suggestions?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Gaothfar

The moisture is coming from (a) a leak, (b) condensation, (c) rising damp, (d) splashes.
    You have ruled out (a) and if you don't have a bath or messy kids, you can rule out (d). If the bathroom is not on the ground floor and if you don't have a concrete floor, you could rule out (c) though you could have a leak under a wooden floor. Are there pipes under the floor?
    The most likely culprit is (b) condensation. Steam heads for the coldest surface and condenses into water. Have you ever seen water on the surface of the lino? Is the lino porous? Do you have ventilation to extract steam when showering?
    You could leave the lino rolled back and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alk77

Thanks, I do have a bath and it is not on the ground floor so I agree it deffo sounds like condensation. I will pull the lino back and let it dry out.

If I got tiles laid instead of lino would this problem be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Alk77

Tiles laid will eliminate this problem for sure, Sheet the floor with ply lay the tiles and seal round the edges well. The lino is not stuck down and is letting in steam and condensation which eventually turn to water and then on to mould spores (not nice). The tiles will not let anything like that happen again.

Regards
    Builditwell

Advertisement