Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Billed without asking.wtf

• 01-10-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭

Woke up this morning with an email telling me that Microsoft had billed me for another years subscription to Xbox live.
    I wasn't asked, nor did I want it. Now I have to go to the trouble of getting them to cancel it for me. Has this happened to anyone else.

I think it's the height of cheek to just take the liberty of billing me for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its in the terms and conditions you agreed to, section 6.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Yea if you pay with a credit card it automatically buys another years subscription every year, until you ring them and tell them you don't want that to happen.

Much better off buying the 12 month subscription cards from play.com

Works out cheaper as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What happens if you get another year subscription off ebay/play and use that..? Does it cancel out the xbox doing it?

Mines going to be charged the 25th of this month and id rather save €30 if I can!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

dazftw wrote: »
    What happens if you get another year subscription off ebay/play and use that..? Does it cancel out the xbox doing it?

Mines going to be charged the 25th of this month and id rather save €30 if I can!

No. You'd just be left with two separate subscriptions.

You have to ring up to cancel your credit card subscription first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

koHd wrote: »

ah jaysus.. then ill have to go points on ebay as well.. I liked being able to points off the box. Once you cancel your card you cant put it back on.. its gets "black listed" or something like that

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I get my subscriptions off eBay and buy my points, using my credit card, from my 360 no problems at all. Ring them and tell them you want to discontinue using your credit card to pay for Live membership. Then just start buying your subs from eBay. Once you enter your code a year will be added on to your current subscription.

As Xbox will still have your credit card details you can continue to use it to buy points!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

koHd wrote: »

No you would not end up with two seperate subscriptions.

If you buy a subscription code and enter it onto your account before your next credit card billing is due then it will just extend the date the appropriate amount further into the future before the credit card will be billed again. The same applies for any of the month subscriptions that occasioanly appear with some games, it will just shift the date of the credit card getting charged back.

It is very difficult to get them to remove your card from being linked with your account though, other than the card just expiring you'll not be able to completely remove all cards from the Live! account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Its in the terms and conditions you agreed to, section 6.5.
    Yeah. I saw that in the Terms and Conditions and immediately thought 'bugger that' and went the pre-paid cards route.

When your prepaid Gold account expires it automatically switches back to Silver (which is exactly what a sub bought with Credit Card should do, in my opinion)

Prepaid cards are definitely the way to go, there are a number of threads here for places for good value savings on Live Subscriptions and Points so you won't have to use your Credit Card info for live at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Yeah, i need a quick one month subscription before, and I made the mistake of linking it to my credit card, so they billed me for an extra month when I couldn't use live at all, but luckily (well...not really lucky :rolleyes: ), my card was knicked and i canceled it, so MS couldn't take anything else from it. I've heard that they are very, very persistent on trying to make you not cancel your subscription, so no heckling for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Had no trouble cancelling with them about a year ago. Called a few days after it renewed and the refunded me the full amount. Only hassle was being asked about 10 questions about why I was cancelling and what games I played.

• Advertisement

My year was up about a month ago, as far as I recall (yes, I've got short term memory problems!) I got an email telling me that it was going to happen a bit prior to it, so I did have a forewarning that the money would be coming out.

Advertisement