Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 01-10-2008 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Folks,

to my great surprise, I was down in Ballinconnigar beach in Blackwater Wexford yesterday evening and the swell was amazing thanks to some fairly stiff offshore winds. What wasnt so amazing was the rip I kept getting caught in and led to me eventually getting out due to being unable to paddle against it.

If anyone has local knowledge of beaches from Rosslare to Courtown and the dangers, I would be very grateful if you could spill the beans as I dont wish to die just yet. You can PM if you want to keep your favourite spots off the public tinternet, but rest assured, I will find them anyway, I would just rather not die in the process.

Thanks in advance,

K-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

you need to paddle sideways out of rips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Notch000 wrote: »

That wasnt doing the trick

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

heavy off shore winds.............................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Notch000 wrote: »

how do you paddle sideways? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

lg123 wrote: »
    how do you paddle sideways? :p

its called a moon walk shuffle,
    look it up on [url]www.yourasmartass.ie:D:D:D:D:D[/url]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

ya, heavy offshore winds and a current mean u gotta be on your toes the whole time. Keep an eye on the shore and don't let yourself drift too far

Do you know, in five posts, not one has related to actual dangers of any beaches. Are there no Wexford surfers here at all or do they simply not give a fúck about the safety of others?

I'll ring the RNLI in Wexford instead. They might actually be of some use.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Not all of us surf in Wexford.

Besides you should really educate yourself by speaking with local surfers, coastguard etc before you ever surf a spot. Not a lot of good thinking "Oh, I wish I had asked someone" as you're being carted off out to sea in a rip is it ?

c - 13 wrote: »
    Besides you should really educate yourself by speaking with local surfers,

In reference to above-
    Kell wrote:
    If anyone has local knowledge of beaches from Rosslare to Courtown and the dangers, I would be very grateful if you could spill the beans as I dont wish to die just yet.

Can you not read?

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Kell wrote: »
    Do you know, in five posts, not one has related to actual dangers of any beaches. Are there no Wexford surfers here at all or do they simply not give a fúck about the safety of others?

Yeh, like what the hell? You should ask for your money back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Kell wrote: »
    In reference to above-

Can you not read?

K-

Maybe if you lost the ****ing attitude ...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Paddling sideways (perpendicular to the direction of the rip current) and watching out for offshore winds...
    I thought that was all the info one would need to avoid rips..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 A_Walshe

To answer onr of your questions I've been at rosslare beach. Their is a rip at the corner of the wall and some rocks to look out for! Not for Kooks as you will end on the ferry on a off shore day :-)

Advertisement