Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Game for Xbox

Options
  • 01-10-2008 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I recently bought a XBOX 360 purely to play GTA as I though it looked cool and I remembered playing it years ago on a PC in 2d.. Anyway I just loved it, and i recently completed it and now I feel like there is something missing in my life... I am new to gaming and I don’t really have any idea what game to buy next. Much of whats new doesn't seem all that great, but im probably wrong. im not really interested in sports games either.. Can anyone recommend a game that is either -

A. Similar to GTA
    B. Nothing like it but absolutely brilliant!

Just one point, Im not looking for a overly serious game - like a massive strategy game or anything, just something with a good story and plenty of action.. the more playable the better obviously

Thanking you in advance
    William

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Saints Row, Just Cause and Mercenaries 2 are all decent, if unspectacular GTA clones.

Aside from that the must-haves for the console are Bioshock, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, The Orange Box, Gears of War, Burnout Paradise, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Fight Night Round 3 and Dead Rising among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 William NoMates

Sounds, thanks for the quick reply Super Furry..
    Ill look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

If your 360 is connected to the Internet you can try out the demos for most of those games to see if you like them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

pick up the previous grand theft autos for dirt cheap on the xbox. just check they are backwards compatible. Also, Chronicles of riddick on the original xbox was one of the best fps games of that generation. On the 360; Condemned 1 (v. cheap) and if you like that there's a sequel. Both rainbow 6 vegas games are excellent and cheap. Gears of war, Halo 3 and bioshock also very good. Bully is meant to be a really good sandbox game, not sure if it's on the 360 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You owe it to yourself to buy the Orange Box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Mass effect - good story, good gameplay, downloadable add on missions. If you like that you can go farther back to Star Wars Knights of the old republic. Also very playable.

sweetie wrote: »
    bioshock also very good. Bully is meant to be a really good sandbox game, not sure if it's on the 360 though
    Bully is on the 360. Not played it yet though.

Like everyone else, I recommend BioShock. It's going for €25 (even the tin-box version) in Zavvi if you're near one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

Have to say Gears of War is pretty special but a bit linear compared to gta. If you want something like GTA from the "freedom to do whatever you want" point of view then maybe try something like Oblivion - its not quite as pick up and play as GTA but if you give it a chance its very good!

Maybe give Crackdown a shot too - its good fun and not too unlike GTA style!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

sweetie wrote: »
    pick up the previous grand theft autos for dirt cheap on the xbox. just check they are backwards compatible. Also, Chronicles of riddick on the original xbox was one of the best fps games of that generation. On the 360; Condemned 1 (v. cheap) and if you like that there's a sequel. Both rainbow 6 vegas games are excellent and cheap. Gears of war, Halo 3 and bioshock also very good. Bully is meant to be a really good sandbox game, not sure if it's on the 360 though

Riddick is being re-made for the 360 atm, with HD graphics and some new content, might be better waiting for that.
    Having said that the original is not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Canape

Crackdown may well be what you're looking for as it's similar to GTA and absolutely brilliant. Doesn't have much of a story though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 William NoMates

Thanks for all the replies, People repeating the same games a lot which is a good sign!

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mass Effect and COD4.If you have Xbox Live,get Halo 3.If not,dont touch it.Bioshock is good as previously mentioned.

Saints Row 2 is out in a few weeks aswell as Fable 2 and Fallout 3.

Oblivion is a good game but I'd wait til Fable 2 or Fallout 3 then buy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lost Planet, Prey, Quake 4 and MotoGP 07, all very affordable right now, and all well worth the few euro.

And don't mind Titan18, get out there and buy Halo3, the single player game on Legend is awesome!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think Gears Of War is the game for you honestly - its great and looks fantastic and is cheap enough now - and the Sequel will be out in a month so when you complete it you won't have long to wait :) do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

For your requirements. Definitley Crackdown. I found it funner than GTAIV to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I'll add a +1 for Crackdown but you should really try Bioshock, Gears and Orange Box too. Not much of a gamer, eh? We'll soon change that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus yeah forgot about Crackdown. It's a must have and available for next to nothing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I think Gears of War is the biggest pile of excrement I have ever played. You cannot see the stuff happening on the screen cause there's your massive playermodel in the way. How anyone can think this is acceptable is totally beyond me. I'm sure it'd have worked great as a proper (First Person) shooter...

Most of the other games mentioned I've played on PC, so no idea what it's like trying to control them on a joypad. Halo 3 is only really fun in Multiplayer as it's too short in single player.

I do recommend Lego Star Wars Complete (2 games in one) for the laugh and if you haven't played it already, Assassins Creed (I just picked it up for less than €20 in Xtra Vision - bargain if you ask me). It's also a "Sandbox" game like GTA, but in truth gets somewhat repetitive. However, bouncing around the rooftops of the Holy Land in the Crusades and slitting archer's throats from behind is really more satisfying than it probably should be :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Crackdown is a incredible game, you should be able to pick it up 2nd hand for a tenner these days and its worth every bit :D

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

+ 1 for halo 3 on the more difficult setting, makes it a bit more strategic, no running and gunning all the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

+infinity for Crackdown.

Best ~€15 I spent on a game in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

I bought my boyfriend bought "The Force" Star Wars game. And I havent seen him for three days!! Not sure why I'm recomending the game! LOL!

kaimera wrote: »
    +infinity for Crackdown.

Best ~€15 I spent on a game in ages.
    I'd love a sequel :(

Skills for Kills, Agent. Skills for Kills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Bioshock is a definite. Story had me hooked, and the gameplay and graphics were amazing!
    Assassins Creed was another one that I played none stop, visually stunning but got repitive near the end.
    Halo 3, both single and multiplayer were pretty impressive.
    COD 4. Amazing multiplayer, and single player story was quite good.
    Crackdown as mentioned, good fun, go nearly anywere picking up cars and running across rooftops.
    Gears of War, just to get you ready for Gears 2!
    Thats about all I can think of now.

Advertisement