Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MDL now left with just Mercedes-Benz

Options
  • 01-10-2008 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Yup, today is the first official day of Volkswagen Group Ireland, and the end of the MDL era for VW, Audi and Skoda.

There's an interview with the MD of VW Group Ireland(Paul Willis, originally from Belfast) in the Irish Times, and in it he says that there won't be much change but "there is always room for improvements in customer satisfaction".

Not surprisingly he wants VW to overtake Ford but he has ambitions of replacing Toyota as the nation's most sold marque. Similarly he wants Audi to overtake BMW. But it looks like VW is going to be getting the special treatment from him. I would have been thinking that they might be more ambitious for Skoda(he makes little or no refernce to Skoda), I think Skodas sell quite poorly here considering the products the offer(VWs for less cash but more reliability).

He is making a big deal about the new Golf, and now that it has the modern diesel engines I'm sure it'll do very well here, now that diesel is preferred. He's hoping that this car will leapfrog VW ahead of Ford here.

If VW start offering people the cars they want like the Bluemotion Golf and Passat amongst others, restore the reliability to its former glory and drive up dealer standards the way BMW did then they deserve to do better than they are presently.

No mention of Seat either, anyone know why VAG in Germany didn't buy out OHM for Seat?

Clearly Seat won't be growing as a brand here anyway until such time as they come under the Volkswagen Group Ireland umbrella.

Full story here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

E92 wrote: »
    Yup, today is the first official day of Volkswagen Group Ireland, and the end of the MDL era for VW, Audi and Skoda.

There's an interview with the MD of VW Group Ireland(Paul Willis, originally from Belfast) in the Irish Times, and in it he says that there won't be much change but "there is always room for improvements in customer satisfaction".

Not surprisingly he wants VW to overtake Ford but he has ambitions of replacing Toyota as the nation's most sold marque. Similarly he wants Audi to overtake BMW. But it looks like VW is going to be getting the special treatment from him. I would have been thinking that they might be more ambitious for Skoda(he makes little or no refernce to Skoda), I think Skodas sell quite poorly here considering the products the offer(VWs for less cash but more reliability).

He is making a big deal about the new Golf, and now that it has the modern diesel engines I'm sure it'll do very well here, now that diesel is preferred. He's hoping that this car will leapfrog VW ahead of Ford here.

If VW start offering people the cars they want like the Bluemotion Golf and Passat amongst others, restore the reliability to its former glory and drive up dealer standards the way BMW did then they deserve to do better than they are presently.

No mention of Seat either, anyone know why VAG in Germany didn't buy out OHM for Seat?

Clearly Seat won't be growing as a brand here anyway until such time as they come under the Volkswagen Group Ireland umbrella.

Full story here

Thing is though - his background is in the VW brand and its the groups bread and butter so no surprise with that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Full story here
    Seat would want to start putting a few dealers in locations where people can actually see them! THey're almost as bad as Subaru for hiding dealers away!
    Good news for VW heads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

in it he says that there won't be much change but "there is always room for improvements in customer satisfaction".

And nobody has more room for change in customer satisfaction that VW. I hope he realises how difficult it is to deal with most VW dealers - especially those in the MSL group.

If you ask me there should be LOTS of change.

Anyway best of luck to him - he's got a lot to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

crosstownk wrote: »
    And nobody has more room for change in customer satisfaction that VW. I hope he realises how difficult it is to deal with most VW dealers - especially those in the MSL group.

Well if dealers are not up to scratch, then he must be prepared to do what BMW have done, be ruthless and get rid of those who are not up to standard, while at the same time drive up standards. Making dealers build glass showrooms is not what I consider to be "driving up standards" by the way. Indeed I think that this is merely window dressing, and I would hate to see small country dealers go out of business because they quite understandably can't afford the high capital cost of investing in the glass showroom. They offer superior customer service and charge far less for servicing too than the large city dealers in my experience. I just think it's such a pity more people aren't prepared to shop around and move away from the large city garages.

We know that MSL Cork lost the VW/Audi franchise, and we need to see more of this kind of thing.

Competition is something I often feel is lacking in the Irish market, largely because Irish buyers tend to buy the same cars over and over again and are very loyal to one particular brand.

What I'm hoping is that VW, Audi and Skoda will undergo a revolution siumilar to BMW, not because I want to see Audi outsell BMW(I don't:D), but because I want to see cut throat competition and I think it would be of enormous benefit to consumers, however consumers have to be more demanding and shop around and test drive as many cars as they can instead of going foir the same old thing every so often like most people do.

I also think that some manufactuers are very lazy here(like Ford and Toyota) only offering certain engines(like Ford and no 1.6 TDCi Focus) or a limited line up(like Toyota not offering the extensive range of engine and trim level options VW offer), because they're so popular and have always been for as long as I can remember, they could do with a shake up too.

I hope VW Group Ireland does well and makes VW/Audi and especially Skoda given how popular Skodas are in other countries more popular, but they will have to improve things dramatically first off.

They do have a strong product line up, not the best but they do have a lot of critically acclaimed models, what they need to do now is offer the lower CO2 "green" versions(like Bluemotion models), up the spec levels(while VW has improved dramatically in recent times to the point where even the Polo has aircon as standard these days, Audi still isn't offering aircon in the facelifted A3 which is inexcusable) and most importantly restore the reliability that the older models had(though this is a VW in Germany thing rather than an importer thing).

I am confident that things will improve, I just have to look at BMW to see what a difference having the car maker rather than the importer can have, and I know Audi globally want to overtake BMW so I'm sure Audi locally will want to do the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I just think it's such a pity more people aren't prepared to shop around and move away from the large city garages.

I have never dealt with them much, but I consistently hear good things about Blackwater motors in Fermoy.

Turner X motors will be a sad loss. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I also think that some manufactuers are very lazy here(like Ford and Toyota) only offering certain engines(like Ford and no 1.6 TDCi Focus) or a limited line up(like Toyota not offering the extensive range of engine and trim level options VW offer), because they're so popular and have always been for as long as I can remember, they could do with a shake up too.

No one is a bigger culprit than Toyota in these stakes, picking and choosing randomly which cars get what engine and in what trim level.

However. Ford does offer a 1.6 TDCi Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

ninty9er wrote: »
    However. Ford does offer a 1.6 TDCi Focus.

But you can't actually order one at the moment, due to supply issues with that engine. Ford are (so my dealer tells me) selling the 115ps 1.8Tdci for the same cost as the 1.6Tdci 90ps.

Interstingly, we had to do a comparison between Irish spec VW's and UK spec VW's for a customer last week. Turns out the UK spec Passat's don't get climate control as standard whereas the Passat Base is the only Irish model with manual Air Con. I also seem to remember that the Irish Highline is higher specced than the UK Highline - hopefully we won't see a "downspec" of the Irish models :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

maidhc wrote: »
    Turner X motors will be a sad loss. :D

Just passed this morning and the Audi section seems to be completely cleared out. Mostly Mercs parked on the lot out the back. Didn't get a good look at VW section. What would happen to all the Audis that were stocked there? Sold on to trade?

R.O.R wrote: »
    But you can't actually order one at the moment, due to supply issues with that engine. Ford are (so my dealer tells me) selling the 115ps 1.8Tdci for the same cost as the 1.6Tdci 90ps.

Interstingly, we had to do a comparison between Irish spec VW's and UK spec VW's for a customer last week. Turns out the UK spec Passat's don't get climate control as standard whereas the Passat Base is the only Irish model with manual Air Con. I also seem to remember that the Irish Highline is higher specced than the UK Highline - hopefully we won't see a "downspec" of the Irish models :eek:

There won't be a down spec. Last year it was announced that VW were taking over, and the ball started rolling back then. Immediately the Passat lost the steel wheels that came with it, and this was the only country to have a Passat with steel wheels. They were coming in with alloys on them and the dealers were convincing the buyers to part with their cash to opt for the alloys that were already on the car. If they didn't, the car would be delayed while the dealer had to scramble for a set of steels, probably from a Jetta where the buyer upgraded!

^^ I think you'll find the Base Passat comes with steel wheels. Comfortline got the Milwaukee Alloys as standard in March 2007 - before that most vehicles coming in to stock had them as a €450 option.

• Advertisement

^^ I think you'll find the Base Passat comes with steel wheels. Comfortline got the Milwaukee Alloys as standard in March 2007 - before that most vehicles coming in to stock had them as a €450 option.

I was told by a woman from VW Ireland last year at the ploughing championships (no less!) that the Passat no longer had steel wheels. I subsequently checked out the website the following day which confirmed what she said. Don't tell me they're back on the menu.

Biro wrote: »
    I was told by a woman from VW Ireland last year at the ploughing championships (no less!) that the Passat no longer had steel wheels. I subsequently checked out the website the following day which confirmed what she said. Don't tell me they're back on the menu.

Comfortline no longer gets steel wheels, but the base model still comes with them. The 10 I ordered this year have all come in with hub caps.

We know that MSL Cork lost the VW/Audi franchise, and we need to see more of this kind of thing.

Another 8 (as well as TXM) finished up as Audi dealers on Sep 30th :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

RedorDead wrote: »
    Another 8 (as well as TXM) finished up as Audi dealers on Sep 30th :eek:

8 more? Who else?

AudiChris wrote: »
    8 more? Who else?

Rumours from my VW/Audi dealer..........

Annesley Ballybough are going to VW Commercials only :eek:
    Bradys (Castleknock)

He also said the Audi Ireland will be building and running the new Cork Audi showrooms, and the smart money is that the new VW franchise will end up in either Mahon Point or Douglas Road ;)

Any others?

8 more? Who else?

You're out of a job! Didn't you get the memo? :D

Biro wrote: »
    You're out of a job! Didn't you get the memo? :D

Welcome back from Honeymoon Chris, We clubbed together while you were away and got you this lovely P45 to commemerate the day :pac::pac:

(Don't worry, your's never came up in coversation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

8 more? Who else?

O'Leary's in Lissarda are gone VW-only as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Comfortline no longer gets steel wheels, but the base model still comes with them. The 10 I ordered this year have all come in with hub caps.

My grandfather has a 06 comfortline. It had alloys as standard i though, at least it got alloys and we didn't pay extra!

maidhc wrote: »
    My grandfather has a 06 comfortline. It had alloys as standard i though, at least it got alloys and we didn't pay extra!

It might have had alloys, but they definately weren't standard at that time. Perhaps the dealer did a "special offer" on them for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Bradys (Castleknock)
    `
    Crap! I bought my Passat there and it has 6 months to run on the 12 month warranty they gave me. Presumably this would have to be honoured regardless if the rumor is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

8 more? Who else?

JJ Reid's in Letterkenny has lost Audi/Loosing Audi and is/will be VW only

He also said the Audi Ireland will be building and running the new Cork Audi showrooms, and the smart money is that the new VW franchise will end up in either Mahon Point or Douglas Road ;)

That means Johnson and Perrot will be getting it then.

I wonder will they be losing the Opel franchise?

After all we know Kevin O'Leary is getting Opel to replace BMW for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

After all we know Kevin O'Leary is getting Opel to replace BMW for the time being.
    K o'Leary's took down all the BMW logos some night last week, the Opal stuff went up the following night.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    `
    Crap! I bought my Passat there and it has 6 months to run on the 12 month warranty they gave me. Presumably this would have to be honoured regardless if the rumor is true?

They still have vw i think. All mentioned here are correct so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't see how J&P could take on another franchise in either Mahon Point or Douglas Rd. I know they approached BMW sometime before taking the Land Rover franchise and then backed away from it.

Space in Mahon Point is tight with Volvo/Honda/LR and similarly so in Douglas with Opel/Kia (unless they've dropped any of those franchises recently). I'd imagine that Douglas Rd would be the location of choice as competing marques are Kia and Opel. Mahon Point has direct competion with Volvo and LR.

Maybe J&P will get the franchise - it wouldn't surprise me as the Whitakers are shrewd operators. But one thing is for sure, it probably help Audi sales somewhat as I'd imagine AVIS will have a few more Audis on the fleet........

crosstownk wrote: »
    Maybe J&P will get the franchise - it wouldn't surprise me as the Whitakers are shrewd operators. But one thing is for sure, it probably help Audi sales somewhat as I'd imagine AVIS will have a few more Audis on the fleet........

It's only VW that's rumoured to be going to J&P, Audi apparently will be looked after Audi themselves.

Whatever they do Volkswagen Group Ireland badly needs to update Audi's website, it's so hopelessly out of date, and they should do it fast.

Kevin O'Leary's are moving out Blackpool, so serving the Northside of Cork. Let's hope Cork is big enough for 2 Opel dealers.

Kevin O'Leary's are moving out Blackpool, so serving the Northside of Cork. Let's hope Cork is big enough for 2 Opel dealers.

Now that there's KO'L, we have 3 in Cork, PJ O'Hea(city centre), J&P(Douglas Road) and of course KO'L. Prior to that we had 2.

If J&P are getting VW, then this would mean that they are losing the Opel franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

Salesman in Annesley (Ballybough) told me they has lost VW, Merc & Audi and were going non-franchise...

Advertisement