Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MDL now left with just Mercedes-Benz

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Apparently Blackwater Motors have gone today - 90 staff let go.

Not sure if they were due to loose a franchise, or whether it's just due to the slowdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mrfamilyguy

thats odd, only heard last week that they were interested in taking the vw franchise for Cork City....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

R.O.R wrote: »

Not sure if they were due to loose a franchise, or whether it's just due to the slowdown.
    where did you hear that?

steve06 wrote: »
    where did you hear that?

Our service manager was just talking to service in Blackwater who filled him in on the whole sorry story.

I believe they were on the radio a few weeks ago to dispel the rumours of impending closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yea I heard they shot the rumours down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mrfamilyguy

To be honest ill believe it when i see it..surely it would have been all over local radio by now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Our service manager was just talking to service in Blackwater who filled him in on the whole sorry story.

I believe they were on the radio a few weeks ago to dispel the rumours of impending closure.

Ouch.

Very surprised to hear that, it wasn't that long ago when I remember them building that new glass showroom.

If you're selling the third most popular make of car and the second most popular premium brand car and this kind of thing is happening, then I hate to think what more bad news for the industry is set to come.

Hopefully the SIMI will use their considerable influence(and they have because of the double VAT rule for cars less than 6 months old) to make sure VRT is kept the way it is, the last thing that dealers need is yet another change, particularly a change which would make cars dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

... and they were by FAR the best VAG dealer in Cork, for both prices and service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Wow, that's bad news!

AudiChris wrote: »
    Wow, that's bad news!

You think the additional stocking charge from Volkswagen bank might have pushed them over the edge, or is that just my dealer squeezing us for more profit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Crap thats where I got my Golf from. They had a massive amount of used stock there when I was buying.

You think the additional stocking charge from Volkswagen bank might have pushed them over the edge, or is that just my dealer squeezing us for more profit?

No idea buddy, I'm not privy to those kind of changes/charges.

That being said, I'd be surprised if VWGI/Volkswagen Bank were to implement charges that had the ability to break one of their dealers within 9 days... Seeing as TXM are already gone, it'd be counterproductive to lose another Cork dealer over something as basic as stocking charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Blackwater Motors have NOT gone to the wall.

Are you sure your facts are correct R.O.R?

Kafer wrote: »
    Blackwater Motors have NOT gone to the wall.

Are you sure your facts are correct R.O.R?

Not 100% sure, hence the "Apparently".

I don't have any dealings with them myself, but our Service Manager was truly sorry to hear about it as they were always very good to deal with and the extended opening hours were ideal to fit around our customers requirements.

Hopefully the information is incorrect, but with the stories I'm hearing both from the motor trade and financial sector, things are in a very bad way for some of the major dealers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Rumours around Cork are Noel Deasy's have the Audi dealership, which does seem a strange choice. Can't see Audi themselves starting from scratch, it would take too long to get up and running? VW won't bother me anyway, I wouldn't take another one for free. Hated it when my indepeendent mechanic used to nod his head every time I came in with a problem.....
    "Oh, yeah air flow meter, that goes....."
    "Timing Belt, who's your mortgage with?"
    "Water gathering under the windscreen that slops out and onto the electrics below?"
    Blackwater quoted around €225 for an oil change service, and €695 for timing belt (TB was a good price). I asked coudl they do both together and you would have thought I'd asked for the souls of their first born!!! As it turned out, they did the whole lot for €725 apparently "It was easier to do it all together when we had it stripped down":rolleyes:

Sorry, my mistake, Deasy's have VW and Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Some mad rumours on this thread eh?

There is no appointed VW/Audi Dealership for Cork yet. 2 garages have applied, but none have a suitable site yet.

Blackwater are not gone to the wall, and are in fact well placed in the market, from their 500+ used cars at the start of the year, they're down to 300 ish, which is good work on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

ned78 wrote: »

There is no appointed VW/Audi Dealership for Cork yet. 2 garages have applied, but none have a suitable site yet.

Blackwater are not gone to the wall, and are in fact well placed in the market, from their 500+ used cars at the start of the year, they're down to 300 ish, which is good work on their part.

Silly stupid rumours. Blackwater are probably one of the most prudent with their stock out of all the cork dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

RedorDead wrote: »
    Silly stupid rumours.

Phew. I did think it was odd after them building that glass showroom not that long ago at all that they could possibly be gone that fast. And if they were gone it would mean that VW would be without a dealer in Cork city and North/East Cork, leaving them with a catchment area of 220,000+ people and no dealer, and similarly for Audi there would only an Audi dealer in Newmarket, and I think people are not going to be prepared to travel that far for their Audi. Thankfully my suspicion was right.

ned78's comments about them reducing their used car stock levels means they're definately here to stay, reducing their stock margins by that much when the market is on the floor is very good going indeed when we know many dealers don't want to take trade ins at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

According to their website, Noel Deasy's are VW and Skoda........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, Noel Deasy's are an authorised VW service point, but not for sales. Having said that, I've heard nothing buy good about their servicing, and when I had to order a key for my Mother's car, it was there when they said it would be.

• Advertisement

I used to work with their Service Manager, he's very, very good (laid back, but still gets sh*t done!).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, Noel Deasy's are an authorised VW service point, but not for sales. Having said that, I've heard nothing buy good about their servicing, and when I had to order a key for my Mother's car, it was there when they said it would be.

Sorry you're right, service only for VW, sales for Skoda.

Advertisement