Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband

Options
  • 01-10-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Just moved apartment to dundrum and rang up eircom with my new house phone number looking for them to supply 3mb broadband home plus + line rental (€55). I gave them direct debit & personal details and they proceeded to turn the line on later that week (I already had a router from the old apartment)

Firstly the speed was 2/3's of the same eircom package I had when I lived in town. I called up and they said they'd check it out.

A few weekends later they switched off the account, I rang up and they said it was because I never paid the €150 deposit, I explained that I had givin my direct debit details, they apologises, took my details again and turned it back on.

I then recieved a bill for €150 deposit even though I had given my derict debit details. I called up, they said I had never given my details and said I would have to pay the €150!

I had had enough, I could get NTL 10mb (€50) for the same price so I after 6 weeks since I order the service I tried to settle what I owed for the service and cancel the account. They said that I had verbally agreed to a 6 MONTH CONTRACT although I had not.:eek: The sales department referred me to the customer complaints department and they are yet to get back to me.

What are my rights? Advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Senenpeter wrote: »
    Just moved apartment to dundrum and rang up eircom with my new house phone number looking for them to supply 3mb broadband home plus + line rental (€55). I gave them direct debit & personal details and they proceeded to turn the line on later that week (I already had a router from the old apartment)

Firstly the speed was 2/3's of the same eircom package I had when I lived in town. I called up and they said they'd check it out.

A few weekends later they switched off the account, I rang up and they said it was because I never paid the €150 deposit, I explained that I had givin my direct debit details, they apologises, took my details again and turned it back on.

I then recieved a bill for €150 deposit even though I had given my derict debit details. I called up, they said I had never given my details and said I would have to pay the €150!

I had had enough, I could get NTL 10mb (€50) for the same price so I after 6 weeks since I order the service I tried to settle what I owed for the service and cancel the account. They said that I had verbally agreed to a 6 MONTH CONTRACT although I had not.:eek: The sales department referred me to the customer complaints department and they are yet to get back to me.

I'd say all the messing with the bills is negligence anyway. Tell them you'll take them to court if they don't play ball. I'd say the court has had enough eircom cases to know that they are a bunch of muppets. Even if you did have a verbal contract, which will be easy to verify as the call centres record the conversations, You'd still have a case for cancellation. You can say you are so concerned at how they treated your credit details so carelessly. They seemed incapable of conducting a simple DD process etc. You gave them the benefit of the doubt and a chance to rectify, but they messed it up again.

All in all, it doesn't seem they have a case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dear God, Eircom yet again being a pain in the arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

Senenpeter wrote: »

You installed the BB, when you were installing the disc that came from eircom, you clicked agree to the terms and conditions before it could install. That is the contract you agreed to. Anyways PM me and ill have a look at your account if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Why on earth do you go with Eircon?

Same package with UTV is about €35 or less. UTV also offer 7.6mb BB for 23.99!

And they treat their customers with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Randi wrote: »
    You installed the BB, when you were installing the disc that came from eircom, you clicked agree to the terms and conditions before it could install. That is the contract you agreed to. Anyways PM me and ill have a look at your account if you want.

That would be assuming the Eircon disk was used, intead of the settings being updated manually. I'd certainly never run anything off a disk from Eircon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In order for your account to bve active, eircom are looking for a deposit. You're not willing to pay a deposit, as it wasn't mentioned up front and you shouldn't have to pay it since you provided direct debit details. As of yet, it looks like you don't have an account, as eircom are awaiting a deposit, and since you don't have an account, you don't have a contract. They've already ended this before it even began.

Cancel the direct debit instruction directly with the bank, if you haven't already, and don't have anything more to do with eircom. If they come after you, tell them to swivel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Randi

MOH wrote: »
    That would be assuming the Eircon disk was used, intead of the settings being updated manually. I'd certainly never run anything off a disk from Eircon.

That is very true, but most people new to broadband would use the disc to install it, not that you need it, all you need is the wep key if using it for the wifi. If the OP wants to PM I can sort out his account for him.

Advertisement