Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed re: new dog

Options
  • 01-10-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

Basically we've just rescued a dog from being destroyed in the pound.

We've known him since he was a pup as my godchild got him when her mam died but due to their living circumstances, the dog was not allowed to stay with them in their apartment. My nana then took him in and due to her deterorating health in the last year he has been neglected a little. We have also discovered that he has been starting to go for strangers eg post man. ( great watch dog though!!) So to cut a long story short my nana's social worker has said he needs to go even though it has broken her heart. My dad then found himself with the choice of bringing him to the pound. Now this dog has always been such a gem with our family and i didn't like the idea of a perfectly healthy dog being destroyed just like that so i kind of put it to my dad that we take him in as he has never been a problem with us and we can bring him into a stable environment. For the first time in my life my words have stuck with my dad and as of today, we now have this dog in our care.

My reason for writing is i am really looking for advice on how to deal with him with regards to going for people, especially when were out for walk or god forbid if it was a child. Any advice would be appreciated as i really don't want to see ourselves on the recieving end of the law or worse have a dog attack on our conscious. Bare in mind he would only be 2 and half years old so is there any hope for him. I am going to get a muzzle for walks and that but any other tips in training him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Fair play to you and congrats. There is every hope for this dog he's only young. (can a social worker make a decision like that?)

Sorry, meant to say, I don't have a lot of experience in training dogs, but loads here do, so you'll get plenty of good advice.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

What breed is the dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

The dog is probably feeling lost at the moment. I would keep him muzzled when you have him out in public. If he even tries to look wrong at someone correct him. If he lunges dont be afraid to give him a serious yank whist telling him no. You could also try socalizing him with people get a few brave friends to walk in the room and give him a treat if his good. A lot of this behaviour is probably stemming from the dog trying to protect what it deems a weaker person (in the pack) be strong firm and set the rules in stone from the beginning. when you are not with him make sure he is secure from strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Any dog can be taught new behaviours no matter what age it is. The saying of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" isn't correct at all. Its better for a dog to keep learning new things as it keeps them mentally challenged and can also help tire them out ;)

Well done on rescuing the dog. What breed is it?

The muzzle is a fab idea, so definitely stick with that until he is 100% reliable. But he may never be. You dont have to keep the muzzle for only walks either, it can be used at home if its needed. Learn and know your dog. Watch out for signs that he's getting stressed on a walk, and if he is (and showing signs that he might want to go after someone) turn around, change direction. This breaks his eye contact with whatever it is and can help calm him down. If you react nervously, the tension can travel down the lead and put the dog into a different drive. You need to be calm so that he doesnt feel any different when walking past something that previously set him off. Reward him if he doesnt react.

You can also teach the "watch me" command, so that if he is concentrating on something, you tell him "watch me" and if it is trained correctly, he will look at you rather than whatever it is.

Make sure and introduce the muzzle properly though or he could come to hate it and try avoid it like the plague. If he doesnt trust you, he wont see that its nothing to be feared. You can put a treat in it, and get him to take it from the muzzle without fastening the straps, so that he will eventually associate the muzzle with nice things. You can then start fastening the straps, but still put a treat through the gaps so you're continuing the positive association. We did that with the Halti and our Rottweiler and the minute she sees it, she now sits. To her it means going outside for a walk - and if we're not fast enough to put it on, she tries to stick her nose through it anyway :D

Please dont use a nylon muzzle - these are only designed for short periods like vet visits or grooming, not for a walk. The dogs cant pant when using a nylon muzzle. A basket muzzle is much better as they can pant and even drink while wearing it.

You and your family must have the dog trust you - as in have the dog look to you for strange situations, decision making etc. Going for the postman, he takes the decision upon himself - you will be taking that decision off him. But for him to look to ye, he has to trust ye.

It will probably be a long road and will require a lot of patience and require everyone to be consistent. It sounds like he hasnt had a lot of consistency in his life previously - and dogs like routine.

The three best tools for training any dog is, kind hands (hands are friends - not weapons), patience and a consistency. Just because someone "leads" a dog, doesnt mean it has to be by force. that sort of training is gone out and is replaced with positive reinforcement only.

Reward for good behaviour, ignore the bad. Though the "bad" behaviour he has learned (going for people) is quite bad compared what ignoring is recommended for.

You could and probably should contact a dog behaviourist for hands on help on how to go about this.

They can help you and give you techniques to try.

Make sure he gets enough exercise too so that he's not doing it out of frustration.

Interact with him daily, not just by walking, but teaching him things like fetch, take him to training classes, and never let him out unsupervised. Training him can help create a bond between you both, whether its in classes or the back garden. That will then build up trust and the dog should eventually respect you and look to you.

A good investment is a crate. It becomes their den, their safe place and somewhere to go when he wants a bit of peace. And it also helps you if someone calls, because the dog can be put into the crate and everyone is safe. If you need to go out and leave him unsupervised, a crate is also a great thing. Again, like the muzzle, give it positive association if he has never been in a crate before. Feed him in there, give him toys, give him treats for going in etc. He'll eventually see it as his space, and his nice space at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

It's not been said yet, maybe people have taken it for granted, but IMO he needs to be on a lead while out with you at all times until you have complete control over recall and trust in his reactions towards people and other dogs.

In fact, IMO, unless specifically playing fetch or such in a field, I think all dogs should be on lead.

I'm currently trying to train my pup, but the few times I've had problems in the park have been when others haven't had their dogs on lead, and the dog rushes over in an aggressive manner.
    This tends to happen with terriers more than larger dogs & my little fella is ok with it, but it makes it more difficult to control them when off lead.

Again, what breed is it?

• Advertisement

It's not been said yet, maybe people have taken it for granted, but IMO he needs to be on a lead while out with you at all times until you have complete control over recall and trust in his reactions towards people and other dogs.

In fact, IMO, unless specifically playing fetch or such in a field, I think all dogs should be on lead.

I'm currently trying to train my pup, but the few times I've had problems in the park have been when others haven't had their dogs on lead, and the dog rushes over in an aggressive manner.
    This tends to happen with terriers more than larger dogs & my little fella is ok with it, but it makes it more difficult to control them when off lead.

Again, what breed is it?
    I agree, unless totally controllable, a dog should be on a lead at all times. This bugs the crap outta me too, had a dog a while ago and I was out walking her when a red setter came over and went for her bald headed. I only had over night, so I did not know her personality. She was a boxer and I thought, "**** if she starts now there'll be no breaking them up" poor little girl looked up at me like she was saying "what do I DO!" while this bastard ate her back.

Had no choice but to start kicking him off her. Silly thing to do, I know, and not handled very well, but she wouldn't fight back, in fact I'm getting teary thinking about her poor bemused face. :( Dogs owner came over, tried to pull the dog off her, all the while I'm telling him what a twat he is. Then his dog attaked him! Unbelieveable. Imagine if it was a kid walking a dog!

Good point!! Unless he's a restricted breed, which means he cant be left off the lead at any stage out in public.
    I think all dogs should be on lead.
    The law states all dogs are to be under control in a public place. It doesnt mean they have to be on leads (bar certain restricted :rolleyes: breed). But it does state they have to be under control - whether its on a lead or through commands.

If a dog cant obey a recall command, then they're not under control and should be on a lead, if its the only way of controllling them.

No one should have to tolerate a dog running over to them uninvited under any circumstances. The law is there - but its a shame its not enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Is it just the likes of the postman, milkman that he runs to the door and barks? One of mine does that too but she wouldn't hurt a fly. She would if a stranger tried to break in without us there, but in general she is grand with everybody and 10 years on we have never had a problem other than her piercing bark when the door goes. All the others are grand and there isn't a peep out of them. But it is something you can sort with training if it is a problem for you.

Does she growl and go for friends and family? If she does I would be more concerned and certainly think about proper training with a professional.
    Well done for taking her in. At least your granny can still see her when you visit. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Thanks for the replies.
    What breed is the dog

He's a mixed breed. Has a bit of a Mongrel/terrier mix going (Think shaggy dog style)
    Is it just the likes of the postman, milkman that he runs to the door and barks?

So far i believe he went for a postman in my nana's and a priest that was visiting her at that time ( just hope the priest was all forgiven :o) and i've been told her neighbours kids were frightened of him. we let him out our back garden for while this afternoon and we could hear him barking at the side gate every once in a while. We noticed him growl on 2 occasions tonight when somebody suddenly appears in a doorway of a room he's sitting in - he seems to get nervous by this if that makes any sense :confused:
    (can a social worker make a decision like that?)

Well for one reason, my nana's not in the best of health and the memory is going big time so we were unsure as to whether she was remembering to feed him and secondly he was kept in the back garden all day long - (which wasn't fair on the poor dog)as my nana was afraid of him going for people and - that's why the social worker felt it best to get rid. She hated losing him as he was company for her, but she's happy enough that he wasn't sent to the pound in the end!!

With regards the barking outside - give him a chance to settle into his new home and acclimatise to the noises that are around. There are probably very different noises in your home as there was in others. Creaking floorboards ,water tanks filling etc dont always sound the same from house to house. Same for the garden.

When we got our rescue rottie, she barked at everything out the back and all the noises inside. It was just a case of ignoring her for the first week or so, until she knew what noises were supposed to be here. Living in a semi d in an estate, barely outside a town close to a road, was very different to living in the rescue with other dogs, farm noises and away from the road. She learned the noises here, and ignored them - and still does.

He can be nervous of someone by the door he's sitting in because he just hasnt relaxed and realised that this is his home, no harm will come to him. Being inside, is a big change from being in a garden all day long. Give him the chance to settle first, then assess how bad his problems are. They might just be because he was not given the chance to feel secure with a family and could disappear once he realises that he will have shelter, warmth, food, and company in his forever home.

But still do use the muzzle until you are 100% sure he will not react to anyone either outside or inside, in an aggressive manner. Dogs will sometimes act aggressively if they feel fear. If he feels secure as part of your family, you might not see that aggression ever again once he's settled.

Good luck

• Advertisement

gidget wrote: »
    Well for one reason, my nana's not in the best of health and the memory is going big time so we were unsure as to whether she was remembering to feed him and secondly he was kept in the back garden all day long - (which wasn't fair on the poor dog)as my nana was afraid of him going for people and - that's why the social worker felt it best to get rid. She hated losing him as he was company for her, but she's happy enough that he wasn't sent to the pound in the end!!
    Oh I see! thats fair enough, I thought the social worker decided to get rid of the dog and they had the power to do that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Well done again on taking him in. Best of luck with him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I think Beth has given you great advise and I like the bit about the muzzle.

I turn an unpredictable dog that was nervous aggressive and food aggressive and bit three times into a dog that could be handled but never lost the aggression, she's a great girl now but only I handle her and train her, she'd tap dance for me if I asked her too.

Give him time to settle in and watch everything he does, by watching him you'll figure out what he likes and what he sees as fun, learn to join in his games, by doing so you help to build that vital connection (friendship, trust) that the dog so desperately needs, with out making a connection you'll find he's never interest in you and won't obey you.

Feed him from your hand for a while before putting the bowl down and look at him like you want to get to know him, and pareses him when he is doing it, smile at him while saying it and make sure he can hear he's good in your voice as well. He'll soon calm down and want to interact with you, again it helps build that connection and by connection I mean one like you would have with a good friend who can tell you what your thinking before it comes out of your mouth.

Let him follow you around the house and show him what your doing let him sniff every thing and talk to him as you go along, as long as you see he is behaving himself keep telling him he's a good boy, the dog soon gets the hang of it and wants to be with you if he's going to be a good boy.

Fare play to you for taking him on just relax and give it time when I first take a dog in I pretty much take them every were with me till they want to do there own thing and have learnt I'll only give out if there bold by removing them from the situation.

Advertisement