Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What were you doing at 15?

• 01-10-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Well I was gettin ready for my junior, tryin to go up girls' tops and doing my best to sneak booze out of my mate's house. This lad on the other hand.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_1/7645562.stm

Barnsley schoolboy makes history

Barnsley have pledged to nurture Reuben Noble-Lazarus after the striker, aged 15 years and 45 days, became the Football League's youngest player.

Boss Simon Davey said the youngster, who was due back at school on Wednesday, was too young to be paid.

Noble-Lazarus came off the bench during his side's 3-0 defeat at Ipswich to beat the record by 113 days.

He passed a mark set by Bradford Park Avenue's Albert Geldard in 1929 and equalled by Wrexham's Ken Roberts.

Roberts was aged 15 years and 158 days when he made his debut in 1951.

Davey joked that Noble-Lazarus would receive a ham sandwich and a piece of pizza for his efforts.

He said the player would receive money as an apprentice once he has finished his GCSE exams next years.

"He has only trained a couple of times with the first team but they have taken him under their wing," the manager continued.

The club has liaised with his school so he can join first-team training on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Wearing a number 31 shirt, the teenager came on as a substitute in the 84th minute at Portman Road.

"I think if they're good enough, they're old enough," said Davey.

"I have kept an eye on him over the last two years and have tried to integrate him as quickly as I could into the first team.

"He is a confident lad but he is still only 15. He is a talent and we need to nurture him in the right way."

The youngster is such a newcomer that his player profile on Barnsley FC's official website contains little detail and no photograph.

He can play as an outright striker or on the left, and is renowned for his speed.

"I was academy manager two years ago and I gave him a start in the under-18s," said Davey.

"He did well when he came on. He didn't give the ball away.

"He scored a hat-trick for the youth team against Sheffield United on Saturday.

"We need to look after him. He has got to be dipped in and perhaps dipped back out.

"We've arranged with his school that we can get him out for two days a week so he can train with us."

In the last 20 years, Millwall's Moses Ashikodi was the youngest player to make his Football League debut. He played in 2003, aged 15 years and 240 days.

Matthew Etherington, now with Premier League side West Ham, was 15 years and 262 days when he appeared for Peterborough in 1997.

Mad stuff altogether

Comments

Mad stuff. He's probably dyin to get outta school anyway with a name like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jayus!!

You did ask what i was doing :-)
    http://archives.tcm.ie/carlownationalist/2000/02/11/story6280.asp

Asca OG FC 6

Derry Rovers 2
    Asca then raced into a two-goal lead within 10 minutes when David O’ Callaghan and Emmet Daly scored. Just before the break Peter Brennan shot home his second to level it up at half time.

The second half was a totally different game with the home side in total control and Paul Byrne shot them into the lead early on.

.......bla bla the rest isnt important!

Oh and my favourite!
    http://archives.tcm.ie/carlownationalist/2000/03/17/story7213.asp

St Patrick’s Boys 1

Asca OG 2

Asca caused the shock of the season on Saturday when they defeated St Pats who had only lost twice all season.

bla bla bla.....

The second half saw the home side on top again and they missed more chances before they were caught out again and Paul Byrne fired home to give the visitors a two-goal lead. Pats did get one back from a David O’ Regan volley but the away side held on for three points.

The visitors had an all round team performance with Pat Robinson (RIP Paddy - legend of a keeper) standing out in goal. Best for St Pats were Derek Abbey, Terence Haughney, Damien Hackett and Aidan O’ Rourke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Didn't realise games in such low leagues got media coverage! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Anyone that doesn't say **** in here is a damn liar... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Mad stuff. He's probably dyin to get outta school anyway with a name like that.

Oh come on. It sounds like the name of a hitman from a Tarantino flick :pac: It reeks of coolness.

Chelsea were on the BBC rumours page yesterday, signed a 12 year old French kid dubbed "the new Zidane" (there must be at least four "new Zidanes" by now, it is getting like Father Windy Shephard Henderson from Ted by now :pac: )

Hafta wonder though, alot of these new big things dont materialise in the end. Freddy Adu has hardly set the world on fire has he.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

shane86 wrote: »
    Chelsea were on the BBC rumours page yesterday, signed a 12 year old French kid dubbed "the new Zidane" (there must be at least four "new Zidanes" by now, it is getting like Father Windy Shephard Henderson from Ted by now :pac: )

Lol quality :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Some team needs to put a new born baby onto the pitch for 10 secs at the end of a game to end all this "youngest player ever " stuff.

Xavi6 wrote: »

Not a hope of him making the Asca Og 98/99 legends, not a hope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's a story of biblical proportions. Lazarus rose from the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

eZe^ wrote: »
    Anyone that doesn't say **** in here is a damn liar... :pac:

I think it actually means what you were doing at 15 that you aren't today:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Stekelly wrote: »
    Some team needs to put a new born baby onto the pitch

Man City have been doing it for years now with Stephen Ireland.

Pigman II wrote: »
    Man City have been doing it for years now with Stephen Ireland.

fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Barnsley have pledged to nurture Reuben Noble-Lazarus after the striker, aged 15 years and 45 days, became the Football League's youngest player
    I predict this guy's stock to rise and rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Pulling my

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

There must be 5 Father Windy Sheppard Hendersons... Oh at least. pmsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Oh ffs :pac: Two in one week?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7649883.stm
    Chelsea are trying to sign French midfielder Sofiane Feghouli, 18, who has been dubbed the new Zinedine Zidane. (Daily Mirror)

Im wondering which one will be the first man on the scene when Raymond Domenech is assasinated :eek: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Xavi6 wrote: »

Lining out for Parkville FC in the Limerick District Schoolboy League Under 16 Division 2 as a utility full-back. 1998-99 is not a season that will go down well in the annals of Parkville history. There was one match we managed to lose 18-4. Thankfully I happened to be on holidays at the time and missed it. You'd thought that would have got me off the hook, problem was that week's Limerick Chronicle reported me as being in the starting lineup for that game.

So while there may be media coverage at those levels, the accuracy may not always be up to speed.

The question remains though, is Reuben Noble-Lazarus in the latest edition of Football Manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Lining out for Parkville FC in the Limerick District Schoolboy League Under 16 Division 2 as a utility full-back. 1998-99 is not a season that will go down well in the annals of Parkville history. There was one match we managed to lose 18-4. Thankfully I happened to be on holidays at the time and missed it. You'd thought that would have got me off the hook, problem was that week's Limerick Chronicle reported me as being in the starting lineup for that game.

I could have played against ya a few times. I remember winning a couple of games by similar scorelines with Fairview! :)

When I was 15 however, I had been training a few times with Brian Kerr/Noel O'Reillys U15 squad, never got capped though! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://msnsport.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12975_2801555,00.html

^ sure chelsea already have "new zidane" in joe cole :rolleyes:

even though he was dismissing those comparisons completely, there's something in that article which gave me a very strong dislike for joe cole. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

LOL Zidane...no chance...good player but his style like Zidane? Eh no..sorry Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

LOL Zidane...no chance...good player but his style like Zidane? Eh no..sorry Joe.

the fact he even brought it up is arrogant and embarrassing

Advertisement