Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP Builders prices all over the shop!

• 01-10-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I’m in bit of a predicament.

I have been battling it out with 2 builders for the last few weeks one guy came back with 196k and the other 195k long story short……..one of the builders has dropped his price down to 175k but claims that he isn’t sacrificing on materials etc.
    This just seems to good to be true, 20k drop just like that!

Am I right in thinking this is to good?
    BTW I have another company doing the timberframe.

Jonny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

Not really, he could push it down the lione to his sub-contractors and give them a low price, at this stage work is hard to come by so they take it of leave it. How big is your house and what type of fitout ? Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Theres a world recession... some people see a bare wage as a way to survive the next two years. Maybe your builder is thinking this way.

I assume you have retained a Profession to inspect all construction, on site, providing stage payments and Cerificates of Compliance.

This Archtect / Technician, or Engineer will ensure compliance with the Building Regulations - workmanship, materials, construction details / methods etc. A strong contract, good working drawings and specification will protect you.

If the materials / construction or workmanship do not meet acceptable standards the Builder won't be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

They could drop the price by that much and not compromise however there could be a few pitfalls

1. Any change in your spec and will find the price soon jumps up as they are trying to cash in where they can so have a detailed list of works to be completed and do not change, List everything down to almost every component including the electric requirements in each room.

2. If come finishing time the money is running out you could find then that the material quality or workmanship may drop or even both as they could try a few short cuts

3. If the Market picks up while your home is being built then expect your home to drop on the priority of the builder while he starts other builds that pay much better

I am about to start building and I weighed up the pro's and cons of various builders and their quotes. In the end I didn't go with the cheapest but with a builder that I could communicate with and I was fully confident in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

.one of the builders has dropped his price down to 175k but claims that he isn’t sacrificing on materials etc.
    Ask him to show you how he has or intends to make these savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi jonny
    Do you know the builders quoting
    check exactly what you are being priced for in detail
    have they proper insurances in place
    see there work and meet people they have built for see are they
    happy with work done.
    check your house specification with regard to insulations what building energy rating is specified, do you need to do an air tightness test on house, do you need to use one form of renewable energy in your build, roof const slates - tiles / all these products can make a big difference.
    All these products can add a considerable cost factor to the build. Where on the ladder do you want your building energy rating (BER )Contractors prices on materials will differ slightly from merchants but overall not to much. Where is the20k coming off?? Labour is getting very cheap with an abundance of lay off's in the building trade. Maybe cheap labour? quality issue then arrises. CHEK IT OUT THOROUGHLY LIKE THE BIT OF TIMBER MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Thanks guys

Yeah I have pretty much done all the above. I have just spoke with him as one of the other posters said he will be passing down the 20k to his subcontractors and taking a bit from his profit margin at the end so im trying to get a detailed quote at the moment which is hard and view other developments that they have done.

We will be coming in at 283,000 in the end that includes (I hope)
    Co Co fees
    Well
    ESB
    Solicitor fees
    Architect fees
    Timber frame to high spec
    Turn key from Builder

Excludes
    Tiling
    Flooring
    Sanitary Ware
    Kitchen
    Landscaping
    Painting

All the above im planning on doing myself until retirement :p

Oh the house is 2300sqft story and a half in Meath

Ill let you know how I get on and thanks for all the feedback.

Jonny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

seems expensive. I have a quotation of €165k for a 2850sqft story and a half excluding the items you mention above. Reputable builder (and recommended by architect). Might be a little too low though - I also have a quote of €280k and €307k, but they include painting and bathrooms.

Yeah we are pumping 75k into the timber frame with instulation, inthello Heat recovery etc so that end of things it’s taking a big lump out of our budget.
    I did get crazy prices like 18k for a timber frame structure and 350k for the whole lot from another builder!!

Is that quote a fully finshed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Thanks guys

Yeah I have pretty much done all the above. I have just spoke with him as one of the other posters said he will be passing down the 20k to his subcontractors and taking a bit from his profit margin at the end so im trying to get a detailed quote at the moment which is hard and view other developments that they have done.

We will be coming in at 283,000 in the end that includes (I hope)
    Co Co fees
    Well
    ESB
    Solicitor fees
    Architect fees
    Timber frame to high spec
    Turn key from Builder

Excludes
    Tiling
    Flooring
    Sanitary Ware
    Kitchen
    Landscaping
    Painting

All the above im planning on doing myself until retirement :p

Oh the house is 2300sqft story and a half in Meath

Ill let you know how I get on and thanks for all the feedback.

Jonny

Expect the "pretties" to add about + 30% . totaling about €160/ft2 - this is about right for Meath - close enough to feel the poisonus Dublin affect - €200/ft2 + is more like it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Jonny
    Good to see it's coming together for you. check quote toroughly when you get it see exactly what your getting. Check drawing to see do you need a air tightness test done also if so see is qouted for. Prices seem reasonable for meath area. Beware of extras this can be a way used to get extra money on job. if there are extras have it in writing and agreed by both parties ON PAPER

Bet luck with build
    Heatherview
    Keep in touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

sinnerboy wrote: »
    €160/ft2 - this is about right for Meath

Not anymore it isn't.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Price seems extreme Jonny especially in this environment, we did a 2100 sq build with a TF also and came in at about 170k every room finished and about 3/4 of the site completed with decking and kerbing all finished.
    I know its a builders price but even still.

I put up the our frame for 32k euro inc all insulation, plasteboard, battens, felt, stairs, doors, skirting and architrave with 400mm centres so I cant under stand how yours is that price or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Builders Finish €180K for 2900 sq ft (Sligo).

Hi Guys

Yeah the timber frame is costing a far wack its coming in at 75k with a U value of .15 but its costing a lot to get it to that.

Still haven’t decided what builder yet im leaning towards the 196k guy but im trying to get him down even by 10k so far im down to 193k so ill have to wait and see.

I’m also looking at getting somebody in to install the intello as the TF company are charging 7k just to install it!

Advertisement