Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Adoption Right or Wrong?

Options
  • 01-10-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So im going to college at the moment and as usual have free time for a good bit of the day..Anyway i was flicking through the poverty channels and with nothing else to watch except barney etc i watched the oprah winfrey(if thats how you spell it) show and saw they were talking about gays.They were talking about some people that came out about their sexual preference and how they were discriminated etc.I have no problem with gay people or gay marriage and i think that everyone should be able to do whatever they want in that regard however they talked briefly of gay adoptions.I know everyone has their own opinion on the subject but i strongly disagree that children should be able to be adopted by gay couples as i think children should be brought up in the healthiest environment possible for them and have a mother and father instead of just one or the other.Children that are brought up in a gay couples house often get bullied over this.Although gay couples have a choice to what they want to do,these children are too young and I think its unfair that these adopted children dont have a choice in if they want to be brought up in this lifestyle and are discriminated against as a result.Anyway I was wondering what other people think about this situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In an effort to break up your sentence:
    I know everyone has their own opinion on the subject but i strongly disagree that children should be able to be adopted by gay couples as i think children should be brought up in the healthiest environment possible for them and have a mother and father instead of just one or the other.

What do you have to backup your claim that the mother/father environment is healthiest? Most studies show that it doesn't make a difference.
    Children that are brought up in a gay couples house often get bullied over this.

Red haired children get bullied. Should red haired people not be allowed have children?
    Although gay couples have a choice to what they want to do,these children are too young and I think its unfair that these adopted children dont have a choice in if they want to be brought up in this lifestyle and are discriminated against as a result.Anyway I was wondering what other people think about this situation.

What do you think about the situation where a lesbian couple are raising children and the biological mother dies? Do you think it's right that the children should be removed from their home in that situation and forced to live with someone other than their other mother?

There was an interesting article the other day about real children describing their experiences of being raised by gay parents in Ireland. Apparently they were to appear on the Late Late show as well. Can't remember their names off hand but I'm sure someone here will. Anyway, they seemed quite happy and well adjusted and claim that they wouldn't have had it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Stark wrote: »

Red haired children get bullied. Should red haired people not be allowed have children?

Of course not! :p

Some gay couples would make great parents, some would not. Some want to adopt, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I wouldn't adopt a child to bring up with two guys.

ONLY ACCEPTION for me would be if one of us had a child with someone else and then we were left with the child.

I think I've made sense. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

I never really understand the objection. If you can accept single parents, how is this any worse?

As Stark says, you can be bullied or discriminated against for anything. Having gay parents is probably one of the lesser things, because people might never know unless you tell them. Why should two people who'd make perfectly good parents be denied the right just in case someone else's child is ignorant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Oh, please. Of course someone has a problem with gay people and gay marriage if they feel that it's an unhealthy environment for children to be raised in. And what 'lifestyle' exactly is this? That original post smacks of thinly-veiled homophobic assumptions.

There are enough unloved, unwanted kids in the world. Not sure why anyone would want to limit the number of potential homes with two loving parents for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

claire h wrote: »
    There are enough unloved, unwanted kids in the world. Not sure why anyone would want to limit the number of potential homes with two loving parents for them.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Children of divorced parents would be bullied horrifically, back in the day. Some catholic parents would pass on their little prejudices to their little angles who would then take it out on the child. Sometimes adults would also resent and reject these children. In many ways being a product of a divorce was seen as worse then coming from a single parent background (but both where held in contempt) as it hit closer to home. The only way people will start to let go of their small mindedness is by exposure and acceptance of new ideas. Pandering to them won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

I am for gay adoption, I don't think parents need to be of different gender to raise healthy children. I think 2 parents is the ideal as it makes it easier to rely on eachother. Also I think single parents can do a great job to as I work with a guy who is a single dad to 3 kids and he's doing fine even though its tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

As long as a child is loved, cared for (emotionally and financially) and nourished (physically, psychologically and educationally) there should be no issue surrounding the gender, race, sexual orientation, age, marital status etc of their parents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 guy2454

OP would you prefer for a child to be sat in some orphanage somewhere rather than be taken into a loving home regardless of what gender/sexual orientation they are? I think it doesnt matter as long as the child is loved and cared for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

i strongly disagree that children should be able to be adopted by gay couples as i think children should be brought up in the healthiest environment possible for them and have a mother and father instead of just one or the other.QUOTE]

I agree. To ensure a child has the best chance in life, we should hold parents to the highest standards possible, for a safe and healthy environment.

Both parents should be geneticaly healthy, to avoid birth defects, there would have to be some sort of testing for potential parents. The should be a minimum requirement on the earning of the parents, because no child should be raised in poverty. I would also suggest a minimum level of education for both parents, after all, they are going to be looking after a child.

Obviously, people with criminal convictions would be right out, as would anyone who was divorced, or god forbid, unmarried, as the people have already demonstrated their innablilty to create the ideal environment for children. No one with an addiction problem should be in charge of a child either, perhaps enforcable by mandatory piss testing for both parents until the child is 18.

I think the only way to enforce these vital standards is a licensing system, where you apply before having children. You'd fail, btw, because you are'nt yet in a stable earning job.

your argument would be fine, except for the fact that gay adoption is not drawing children away from an ideal environment. if it were, you'd have a point.

as an aside, I have my own womb, should the government stop me from having kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

i strongly disagree that children should be able to be adopted by gay couples as i think children should be brought up in the healthiest environment possible for them and have a mother and father instead of just one or the other.

Children that are brought up in a gay couples house often get bullied over this.

Although gay couples have a choice to what they want to do,these children are too young and

I think its unfair that these adopted children dont have a choice in if they want to be brought up in this lifestyle and are discriminated against as a result.Anyway I was wondering what other people think about this situation.
    Actually homosexuality might exist because it is an efficient way to guarantee a stock of childless men to adopt parentless (really fatherless) children. Perhaps gay adoption is completely natural?

Kids get bullied over all sorts of things. Homophobic bullying is less acceptable than ever before (even though many people still use ******, gay etc. as synonyms for fool) .

If gay couples are invollving kids in gayness that's unacceptable, but straight men don't involve girls in straighteness (I hope).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭WexfordMusings

(ps - I'm back after not having internet connection for ages)

I think some have forgotten that the whole issue if fostering and adoption must first take into account the hilds needs. Not the needs/wishes of the hopeful parents (whether gay, lesbian, straight or red haired)

You might have a homosexual child- they might be better adopted by a homosexual couple - who could provide a loving, caring home (and not in a pedo way if anyone just thoughtof that) that a striaght couple may not be able to.

This is a discussion which has been passing around for a few years now but we also forget this is a matter for the department of family and children to legislate for not the depatment of justice who should be dealing with other equzlity issues for LGBT people. This is an issue which should be taken out of the current wrangling over the civil union bill - or dog licence bill, which ever you prefer.

As to my personal opinion,

If an couple or single person can provide a loving, caring, financially secure home for a child, wellthen their application should be dealt with in a fair manner regardles of their sexuality. i know some straight couples who are dreadful parents and i also know some homo couples who would make fantastic parents. each case should be dealt with on its own merits...

J

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

If those bloody penguins can do it- why cant I?? http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/02/07/MNG3N4RAV41.DTL Id love to have a child some day, but for the moment its completely out of my reach.... financially. Plus Im enjoying my life with my boyfriend and friends without all the worries... plus, I'll save on the baby-sitters fees for a few more years!!

I think the person from the original post needs to wake up to the better world we live in, where most people can accept that not everyone is in a 50s American sit-com time-warp!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

What if being brought up by gay parents produces a huge increase in gay children and the entire population of Ireland is eventually wiped out....

what if being adopted by gay parents meant you were more likely to be a good basketball player? or sprout wings?

any basis for your concern, or just general fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

hot2def wrote: »
    what if being adopted by gay parents meant you were more likely to be a good basketball player? or sprout wings?

any basis for your concern, or just general fear?

I was trying to be satyrical, evidently I failed.

not while *I*'m on dinternet! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Tula

Something that most people seem to forget:

Kids are mean little buggers and highly creative. They will bully someone over ANYTHING.

Personally I think that once a child has a stable and loving home and a big family (I believe a child will learn from far more adults than solely their parents) there shouldn't be any problem with the gender of the parents.

how many kids from hetrosexual couples turn round and say well such a one was more of a mother than mine ever was.

There's too much stigma being placed on this. The adoption process is difficult enough as it is and you need to be really commited to go through with it till the end.

How many hetro couples get knocked up and rasie kids with no love?

If there's gonna be such a huge deal being made about giving a loving couple the right to have a child then surely there should be equally as huge a deal made about "unwanted" children and how to protect them.

Rant over.

Wendy

Advertisement