Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC's new policy for new customers

Options
  • 01-10-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I'm just about to move into my house and I rang NTL today to setup the 10mb Broadband.

I was told on the phone that I had to FAX in photo ID and a bill in my name stating the address.

I asked why and she said people start up a package and then don't pay it at the end. I think this is a bit of strange setup having to fax in stuff... I don't own a fliping fax, and fax machines can send in doctored pages...

I guess I've no other option tho, just seems wierd. I wonder if I'm the only one that Irene got to do it, or if its because the area I'm in has had a lot of non payments...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weird alright, are you renting?

I set up a new account in February. Told them I was the new occupier, the old person had gone and they signed me up right away with a direct debit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If your renting I'd understand, but to be honest alot of companys have different policys.

For example, if you even own the house and get your first ESB connection the ESB require a direct debit payment or if you'd rather pay via cash etc they require a deposit of 300e

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

This is not Nazi Germany FFS, tell them where to stick it, we dont have to "show ze papers" on demand! Dont let them get away with it, there is no reasonable way they can ask for this, you clearly live at said house, otherwise you wouldnt be getting BB put in.

As for the people not paying............that happens in every walk of life, what happens then is the service is cut off! What next......walk into tesco and get finger printer just incase you walk out with someting you didnt pay for!

No, no and no again, you are not a criminal and they are treating you as such.

Dont even get me started on how someone in NTL's office could use all your details that you fax in.......they have no right to ask for any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sigh... is the installer going to your house not enough for them? It would be quite the prank to break into someone's house, wait for an installer get cable installed and then leave.

I don't see how having a passport will help either unless they're hiring hit squads. The whole reason they ask for a utility bill is proof of address, I'd think the installer has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Hey Seamus, no I'm not renting. I bought the house and renovated it. It kinda blew me for six, I was all ready to give my details and then they asked me for this.

Loved your response godskitchen.

I mite ring them again and ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them that their new policy has upset me and that I don't have access to a Fax machine!

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    If your renting I'd understand, but to be honest alot of companys have different policys.

For example, if you even own the house and get your first ESB connection the ESB require a direct debit payment or if you'd rather pay via cash etc they require a deposit of 300e

Deposit I would agree with and have no problem with.

I'd have no quibbles with a deposit, but it would be pointless if I owned the house? what am I going to do, sell the house so I won't have to pay the NTL bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You may well have to.... :)

Sniipe wrote: »
    I'd have no quibbles with a deposit, but it would be pointless if I owned the house? what am I going to do, sell the house so I won't have to pay the NTL bill...

Maybe they want the deeds to the house?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Ok, so what's the difference between NTL asking for Proof of ID and address and all the mobile phone companies doing it if you sign up for a contract?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No, no and no again, you are not a criminal and they are treating you as such.

Nobody says the op is a criminal, HOWEVER NTL can do this if they want and you are more the free to say NO NO NO :rolleyes: all you want but they are also then free to say fine so they won't give you any service.

Ok, so what's the difference between NTL asking for Proof of ID and address and all the mobile phone companies doing it if you sign up for a contract?

You dont have the mobile phone physically installed in your house, by one of their workers.

Deposit I would agree with and have no problem with.

Funny how people like different thing, I'd prefer ESB/UPC look for a copy of my ID then for them to get a 300e deposit off me :)

For the record BT Broadband have often looked for deposits from people before they installed Broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cabaal wrote: »
    Funny how people like different thing, I'd prefer ESB/UPC look for a copy of my ID then for them to get a 300e deposit off me :)

For the record BT Broadband have often looked for deposits from people before they installed Broadband.

Just because someone has done it before doesnt in some way make it right.

Precedents are not justifications.

And BT are the company who sometimes delayed peoples' installations on the excuse of waiting for a deposit and not informing the person concerned that a deposit was required.

BT staff did not know why a deposit was required, BT didnt give a receipt for it and were not prepared to say how a deposit would be lost.

Yes great example indeed!:rolleyes:

All of the above was well documented on boards by the way.

Anyone paying a deposit should make sure to get a receipt and details of the exact circumstances in which it can be lost and also a date of refund.

It would be nice If UPC etc were as exact about their quality of service!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

what i would like to know is if you where not jsut getting broadband of them but also a phoneline.

would they ask to fax something over if they know you dont have a phoneline.

i dont even understand why they need the proof and to ask you to send a fax of it over to them is just plane stupid.

most people dont have faxes in there house's anyway.

also how is giving your passport and proof of address going to change if you pay or not.
    i'd say tell them that you dont have a passport nor proof of address and if they say they cant give you the broadband say that you know someone who just did order it(say like 2 days ago around the corner from you) and that they where not required to give such information and that it isnt fair that they ask you to(as i know for a fact they dont ask everyone for that kinda information and that is discrimination to be asking only certain people for it.)

i got ntl a few months back and it couldnt of been easier. sad to see that they are acting like plicks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

My God just fax it in and get on with something more important. Talk about getting yourself in a twist over nothing. Its a policy so do it or go get some other broadband.

I rang them again last night and went thru the same process with a different person. In the end I asked if it was ok if I could scan and email them in. This was accepted. I said the first person should have given me this option and I also mentioned that this was a bit unfair that I felt as if they didn't want my business...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

At least its sorted now and you can enjoy some very fast broadband!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

After all that i hope you dont use torrent!!

Advertisement