Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on the muslims

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

your link doesn't work.

Any chance of a synopsis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

aidan24326 wrote: »
    your link doesn't work.

Any chance of a synopsis?

Lady of Arabian Descent going on a (very accurate) tirade against the Middle East/Islam on national TV (in the Middle East). I found it pretty good but I do fear for her safety to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

What mena said

For some reason it works in this post but not in mine:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055388872

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fixed the link in the OP.
    Not sure of the relevance to A&A though... grumble grumble...

edit: Ah, now I see she's an unbeliever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

al jazeera would be international tv, not national... can't see her being allowed get away with that on many national television networks over there.

• Advertisement

Mordeth wrote: »
    al jazeera would be international tv, not national... can't see her being allowed get away with that on many national television networks over there.

Didn't realise it was al Jazeera. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Link still not working for me.

?

EDIT: Not working in firefox but working with VLC player for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

It's refreshing to hear such enlightened and foreward thinking in the Arabic tongue (no, this isnt a racist point its just usually we only hear threats from beardy cave dwellers).

dades: Surely it relates to A&A because of the rubbishing of superstition and pointing out how it is the medieval mentality of religion that is causing a lot of people to get iced. She refers to herself as not being of any particular religion but a secular human beiing, one who does not believe herself but respects the right to believe.

Edit: You edited before I finished writing Dades :p

It's refreshing to hear such enlightened and foreward thinking in the Arabic tongue (no, this isnt a racist point its just usually we only hear threats from beardy cave dwellers).

dades: Surely it relates to A&A because of the rubbishing of superstition and pointing out how it is the medieval mentality of religion that is causing a lot of people to get iced. She refers to herself as not being of any particular religion but a secular human beiing, one who does not believe herself but respects the right to believe.

Dades busted jumping to conclusions before watching all the source material!

Burn him... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

It's refreshing to hear such enlightened and foreward thinking in the Arabic tongue...
    I suggest you watch Al Jazeera more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

djpbarry wrote: »
    I suggest you watch Al Jazeera more often.

I did say "usually".

And the cleric about half way through doesnt do much to help matters by refusing to discuss anything with a "heretic".

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

And the cleric about half way through doesnt do much to help matters by refusing to discuss anything with a "heretic".

I was thinking the video was quite boring till he piped in with non sensical ramblings, made what she was saying all the more relevant.

She's quite right in what she's saying and it's refreshing to see someone like her be brave enough to come out and say those things on an arabic tv channel.

The cleric guy just looked bemused and had no idea how to counter her points. Obviously not used to having someone confront him with the cold hard truth. Hence the reason I don't usually bother posting in the islam forum as you're not really allowed to argue or debate much anyway, it's all just a nice cosy little group hug. In my experience I've met muslims who are so completely brainwashed they cannot and will not even entertain the possibilty that they might be wrong. They're just right and that's the end of it. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

It is more than refreshing to me, I find it heroic. She is a champion and a paragon of justice.

Mena wrote: »
    Dades busted jumping to conclusions before watching all the source material!
    I thought it was just some disgruntled Muslim woman!
    Mena wrote: »
    Burn him... etc.
    Not the holy water... nooooo...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

She's quite right in what she's saying and it's refreshing to see someone like her be brave enough to come out and say those things on an arabic tv channel.

The cleric guy just looked bemused and had no idea how to counter her points. Obviously not used to having someone confront him with the cold hard truth. Hence the reason I don't usually bother posting in the islam forum as you're not really allowed to argue or debate much anyway, it's all just a nice cosy little group hug. In my experience I've met muslims who are so completely brainwashed they cannot and will not even entertain the possibilty that they might be wrong. They're just right and that's the end of it. Case closed.

Yes, I just realised this, having posted for the first time there today only to receive an infraction! AND I read the charter...

Anyway, I think the only way muslims are going to change is if it looks like it's coming from inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Sadly there are Christians like it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Would it be trolling to post this in the Muslim forum to see what people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would it be trolling to post this in the Muslim forum to see what people think?
    I'm not sure they'll even listen. They have the most bombproof defence: "She's a women, what does she know?"

Afaik, that video has been around for a number of years, came out not long after the WTC attacks.

Well they wont say "what does she know she's a woman" on a public forum will they? I doubt people actually think like that? (I've never been in there) Even if it is a few years old, it would be interesting to see what people think. Although I've never been in the forum before, so maybe someone who pops in every now and then might be better recieved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Well they wont say "what does she know she's a woman" on a public forum will they? I doubt people actually think like that? (I've never been in there) Even if it is a few years old, it would be interesting to see what people think. Although I've never been in the forum before, so maybe someone who pops in every now and then might be better recieved?
    Don't kid yourself. Islam is a misogynistic religion no matter what male muslims like to say to the contrary. There are plenty of male muslims out there who will say just that.

I wouldn't see it as trolling, tbh. And I would like to hear what the 'moderates' think of it.

You may find it's been posted there before, too.

http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?ai=214&ar=1050wmv&ak=

Did it work here?

Oh it did, back in a few minutes. :)

EDIT: Oh I'm gonna be in trouble - Dades, I'm blaming you. I would have expected more from a mod. :P

What are you smoking?! I am above reproach. :D

[HTML]http://switch3.castup.net/cunet/gm.asp?ai=214&ar=1050wmv&ak=[/HTML]Cut and paste this into the "Open URL" option of Windows Media Player if all else fails.

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Sadly there are Christians like it as well.

No doubt there are, just in my own experience I've found christians by and large are more willing to discuss and debate their religion, I've found alot of muslims I've known or met to be very closed-minded. A generalisation of course, but one that isn't entirely unfair imo.

Well they wont say "what does she know she's a woman" on a public forum will they? I doubt people actually think like that?

I don't know about the islam forum on boards but I've certainly heard such comments in real life. It mightn't be said quite as bluntly as that but the meaning would be the same.

An Iraqi muslim guy I used to know fairly well would routinely make comments about the inferiority of women, or about the role of a woman in the world. He'd say it in a way that I could tell he didn't really mean any harm by it, he was actually quite a placid guy but that type of thinking is so ingrained in their culture that it was perfectly normal to him.

No doubt there are, just in my own experience I've found christians by and large are more willing to discuss and debate their religion, I've found alot of muslims I've known or met to be very closed-minded. A generalisation of course, but one that isn't entirely unfair imo.

I have found this too, there seems to be a mindset of "them" and "us" and to ask questions automatically puts you in the wrong catagory.

An Iraqi muslim guy I used to know fairly well would routinely make comments about the inferiority of women, or about the role of a woman in the world. He'd say it in a way that I could tell he didn't really mean any harm by it, he was actually quite a placid guy but that type of thinking is so ingrained in their culture that it was perfectly normal to him.
    I have an uncle who was Muslim, when he married my aunt he stopped practising as his family wanted nothing else to do with him. Their daughter, who grew up with no muslim influences from her father at all, is now married to a Muslim man, who, lets just say, is what we would imagine a typical muslim man to be like in how he treats her. I wonder in cases like that, is there a psychological reason a woman will marry a man like that when there is no sign of it in home life (IE. not the norm for her)

Their daughter, who grew up with no muslim influences from her father at all, is now married to a Muslim man, who, lets just say, is what we would imagine a typical muslim man to be like in how he treats her. I wonder in cases like that, is there a psychological reason a woman will marry a man like that when there is no sign of it in home life (IE. not the norm for her)

To be fair though there's women out there who just seem to be attracted to men like that for whatever reason, be they muslim or otherwise. Your cousin is possibly one of those people, so it's hard to blame it on islam if she wasn't brought up with that. I'd suspect her father may have had more of an insidious influence on her than you think though, or am I wrong to think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd suspect her father may have had more of an insidious influence on her than you think though
    That would be my thinking too. Even though her father may have abandoned the muslim faith, he probably still retained a good deal of the mysognistic attitude and was quite patriarchal at home. And as we know, many women are attracted to men who are like their fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hence the reason I don't usually bother posting in the islam forum as you're not really allowed to argue or debate much anyway,

That's true. I've noticed anyone who questions anything Islam related matters overt here is branded a bigot and generally ignored.
    Makes me appreciative of the Christianity forum, at least they like to engage in debate. :)

• Advertisement

To be fair though there's women out there who just seem to be attracted to men like that for whatever reason, be they muslim or otherwise.
    No not at all, I didn't mean I was blaming Islam, I meant, there are reasons above religion that make people accept certain behaviour. That was actually my point, a lot of the time religion can be blamed for this type of thing, but really it's down to the person. She seemed to have a romantic view of being "owned" by a man, and sought this man out. Causing a whole load of trouble. The situation went well and above what I can discuss here, due to legal reasons. <-- Yep thats how serious this "ownership" thing got.
    seamus wrote: »
    That would be my thinking too. Even though her father may have abandoned the muslim faith, he probably still retained a good deal of the mysognistic attitude and was quite patriarchal at home. And as we know, many women are attracted to men who are like their fathers.
    The man I'm talking about, as far as I know, is not at all mysognistic and has a very healthy and gentle respect for women. In saying that though, I rarely see them so this could just be my impression.
    Galvasean wrote: »
    That's true. I've noticed anyone who questions anything Islam related matters overt here is branded a bigot and generally ignored.
    Makes me appreciative of the Christianity forum, at least they like to engage in debate. :)
    In fairness, Wes just made a very good post about the video. Although besides that, nobody. :)

Advertisement