Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on the muslims

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Galvasean wrote: »
    That's true. I've noticed anyone who questions anything Islam related matters overt here is branded a bigot and generally ignored.
    Makes me appreciative of the Christianity forum, at least they like to engage in debate. :)

Yes debatin's what we do best :D Anyway re that woman. How dare she go on TV and... just kidding ;) Fair play to her. More of the same please. I hate intolerance no matter what the source. Open dialogue and open mindedness on everything is what's needed in this world and from everybody. I’m all for her belief that everyone should be allowed to believe in whatever they want to believe in even if that belief is in nothing at all. She was wrong about that is only Muslims who burn Churches though; many Christians and Atheists have done plenty of that over the years as well. You only need look back to the North in the troubles and to the former Soviet Union to know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Mena wrote: »
    Lady of Arabian Descent going on a (very accurate) tirade against the Middle East/Islam on national TV (in the Middle East). I found it pretty good but I do fear for her safety to say the least.

Yeah ... she hit the nail on the head really, brave woman ..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Impressive but I would like to see it tempered a bit with the fact that the Western world has to accept some blame for crushing a people enough to empower the extremists even more. And while no Jewish person has blown themselves up in a shop they have leaders more than capable to do it for them and have done so. Looked edited though. Might not be seeing the whole argument from either side. Still it is important to hear these kind of words coming from the Arab world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I discovered her name is Wafa Sultan and she has made several other interviews, you can also find them on youtube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYB4pG3kHIY

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

musician wrote: »
    no Jewish person has blown themselves up in a shop
    It's not quite detonating an explosive vest, but the effects are much the same:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baruch_Goldstein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ah that Wafa Sultan video has been around ages. She's great.

If I'm not mistaken (check wikipedia), when she was a kid, some Muslim fundamentalists came into her classroom and killed her teacher in front of the whole class for being a heretic or some sh*t like that.... I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

edit:

ah, she wasn't a kid:

Sultan stated that she was shocked into secularism by the 1979 atrocities committed by Islamic extremists of the Muslim Brotherhood against innocent Syrian people, including the machine-gun assassination of her professor, Yusef al Yusef,[5] an ophthalmologist renowned beyond Syria, in her classroom in front of her eyes at the University of Aleppo where she was a medical student. "They shot hundreds of bullets into him, shouting, 'God is great!' " she said. "At that point, I lost my trust in their god and began to question all our teachings. It was the turning point of my life, and it has led me to this present point. I had to leave. I had to look for another god."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wafa_Sultan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Shame the video ended before their rebuttal. She spoke a lot of crap.

Neither "The Muslims" nor "The Jews" are responsible for any single atrocity. No more than "The Catholics" are responsible for any IRA bombing. She says the 'Jews' don't blow people up. If she's talking about the Zionist movement, she's right - they don't blow up churches. They only just destroy mosques (and people inside them), with F16's. They only drop millions of illegal cluster bombs on innocent civillians. But I guess many people see air strikes as 'legitimate' murder.

And which specific conflict is she speaking of anyway? I notice she speaks of 'the clash we are seeing around the world'. Which clash? Maybe she's talking about the handful of Islamist extremists of commit suicide bombings. Or maybe the invasion of Iraq, Afghanistan? The U.S. sponsored Israeli oppression of the Palestinians? She should be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Shame the video ended before their rebuttal. She spoke a lot of crap.

She spoke mostly sense, though I thought she was a bit kind on the jews in all honesty. The Israeli zionists have more than enough blood on their hands. I don't think the guy in the studio had a rebuttall, he just looked a bit bemused by her and resorted to calling her a heretic.

Neither "The Muslims" nor "The Jews" are responsible for any single atrocity. No more than "The Catholics" are responsible for any IRA bombing. She says the 'Jews' don't blow people up. If she's talking about the Zionist movement, she's right - they don't blow up churches. They only just destroy mosques (and people inside them), with F16's. They only drop millions of illegal cluster bombs on innocent civillians. But I guess many people see air strikes as 'legitimate' murder.

The Zionists believe the lands of Israel are their birthright, promised to them by god. This belief stems from religious indoctrination. The muslim who blows himself up in a marketplace because he thinks it will gain him favour in heaven has also been very heavily influenced by his religious upbringing. In that conflict you simply cannot ignore the religious angle to it. Northern Ireland was a bit different so it's not a fair comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

aidan24326 wrote: »
    She spoke mostly sense, though I thought she was a bit kind on the jews in all honesty. The Israeli zionists have more than enough blood on their hands. I don't think the guy in the studio had a rebuttall, he just looked a bit bemused by her and resorted to calling her a heretic.

Heretic could be synonymous with 'atheist'. We don't know the language well enough to fully understand what he said. It could be all down to the translation. Perhaps an Arabic speaker could enlighten us.

The Zionists believe the lands of Israel are their birthright, promised to them by god. This belief stems from religious indoctrination. The muslim who blows himself up in a marketplace because he thinks it will gain him favour in heaven has also been very heavily influenced by his religious upbringing. In that conflict you simply cannot ignore the religious angle to it. Northern Ireland was a bit different so it's not a fair comparison.
    Depends on the situation. If that marketplace is in Israel, there's a good chance that the guy's motives are those of 'resistance' to Israeli military and political oppression. He could just be an Arab. If he does it in the 'name of allah', it's only in the same way an Israeli pilot probably praises 'G-d' and kisses the star of David before dropping the bomb. The reality is, that it's not a clash of religions. If it were, Iran would be in chaos, as they have the largest Jewish population outside of Israel in the middle east. But Jews and Muslims live quite peacefully side by side there.

It is quite similar to Northern Ireland, but more like the South African apartheid TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭localhothead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dave! wrote: »
    Ah that Wafa Sultan video has been around ages. She's great.

If I'm not mistaken (check wikipedia), when she was a kid, some Muslim fundamentalists came into her classroom and killed her teacher in front of the whole class for being a heretic or some sh*t like that.... I seem to recall reading that somewhere.

edit:

ah, she wasn't a kid:

Sultan stated that she was shocked into secularism by the 1979 atrocities committed by Islamic extremists of the Muslim Brotherhood against innocent Syrian people, including the machine-gun assassination of her professor, Yusef al Yusef,[5] an ophthalmologist renowned beyond Syria, in her classroom in front of her eyes at the University of Aleppo where she was a medical student. "They shot hundreds of bullets into him, shouting, 'God is great!' " she said. "At that point, I lost my trust in their god and began to question all our teachings. It was the turning point of my life, and it has led me to this present point. I had to leave. I had to look for another god."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wafa_Sultan

Wow.
    Cool woman.

Advertisement