Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuvi Lane assist

Options
  • 01-10-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try this out in Ireland. It comes on the Nuvi 765T, and basically a diagram up the top left corner displays what lane you should be in for the upcoming turns.

Seems like a feature id pay a little extra for, as it annoys me when i end up in the wrong lane for a turn or end up in the turn right lane when i meant to go straight on.

So any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Only as good as the available mapping data, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How about just being more observant?

MC

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not sure how much use something like that would be in Ireland. Possibly useful for going round the M6 in Birmingham, but how many big junctions are there here where you'd really end up in the wrong lane? The older set of Garmin maps I have seem to tell me which lane to be in already when needed.

How about just being more observant?
    What .. like being able to magically see through cars that obscure the road markings showing you what lane to be in?

How about something more constructive, like doing what they do in any other civilized country and actually indicate on signs well in advance of the junction what lane goes where so that people can make their decisions in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If your expecting to be turning left up ahead then get in the left lane, if it's a right turn then get in the right lane, otherwise the middle lane or the left one is where you should be. If your on a motorway then always get in the left lane wherever your going.

robinph wrote: »
    If your expecting to be turning left up ahead then get in the left lane, if it's a right turn then get in the right lane, otherwise the middle lane or the left one is where you should be.
    Fine in theory, until you end up in a left-turn only lane when you want to go straight on which is the most common scenario here. Pretty much every other country manages to signpost lane designations ahead of time, it's hardly rocket science.

Here's typical Dutch signposting 100m before a set of traffic lights ... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Verkeersborden_EL_0609.jpg. See, easy isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Dublin is plauged, absolutley plauged with people sitting in the wrong lanes and then trying to force their way out to the right lane at the last possible moment.

I know its not a big problem because most roads only have two lanes, and everyone in Ireland accepts that no one really knows where they are going, and is willing to dangerously slow down to let them merge back out to the right lane.

Everyone knows, there is no way for someone to know that its a left only lane unless they have been on the road before.

But its a huge pet hate of mine, Im the type of person that will take a 30 min detour rather than force my way out of an error i made and obstruct and act dangerously in the process.

I reckon it would be worth an extra 20 quid instead of one with an mp3 player.

The markings on some roads, despite being woefully close to the turns (and usually blocked by a single car stopped and waiting), are usually absent from being worn out.

Anyway, i take it no one has tried it in Ireland. :P

I reckon it would be worth an extra 20 quid instead of one with an mp3 player.

Anyway, i take it no one has tried it in Ireland. :P
    As I said, it all depends on the quality of the data in the maps as to whether it'd be useful or not. Personally given the standard of Navteq mapping in general, and the Irish maps in particular, I'd say the chances of there being any useful info in them regarding the layout of lanes at most junctions to be as close to zero as makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

So, has anyone actually had any experience of using this lane assist in Ireland? I'm interested in hearing does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Had to laugh last night at the interchange coming off the N4 where the road splits into M50 North--City Centre--M50 Southbound.

There was a guy plonked up on the concrete divider in some kind of Hyundai Toaster trying to get from the Northbound to City Centre lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Firstly have a read here if you have not already: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58430030&postcount=1

Due to the issues with keeping mapping up to date in Ireland do not expect that lane assist will be absolutely perfect.

As for a diagram on the screen - it is the voice instructions coupled with external visual clues including road signs which are important when moving.

3D buildings also have limited capability here in Ireland, however they are moving in the direction of the way we in Ireland naturally do road navigation - i.e. using pubs, churches and other visual landmark clues to navigate by!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have it on my Navigon and it seems like a good idea. I did a few demo trips around Paris (from the comfort of the couch) and it looked useful.

Haven't seen it in action in Ireland yet.

Navigon also have "Reality View" which is an image of the junction with the relevant signage. Seems to be ok but as it's an image it replaces the moving display for a few seconds...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Alun wrote: »
    Fine in theory, until you end up in a left-turn only lane when you want to go straight on which is the most common scenario here. Pretty much every other country manages to signpost lane designations ahead of time, it's hardly rocket science.

Here's typical Dutch signposting 100m before a set of traffic lights ... http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Verkeersborden_EL_0609.jpg. See, easy isn't it?

It's in Cork - Angelsea St, Sarsfield Rd Roundabout, Camden Quay to name a few.

People still manage to blissfully ignore them esp if the wrong lane has less cars....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

parsi wrote: »
    I have it on my Navigon and it seems like a good idea. I did a few demo trips around Paris (from the comfort of the couch) and it looked useful.

Haven't seen it in action in Ireland yet.

Navigon also have "Reality View" which is an image of the junction with the relevant signage. Seems to be ok but as it's an image it replaces the moving display for a few seconds...

All features made possible by the capability of Navteq mapping used in both Navigon and Garmin

Advertisement