Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A dilemma - finding a priest to marry us

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭F@ces

Firstly, Niamh - CONGRATS!!
    Michael G wrote: »
    I am disappointed to see that this thread is still running, because it is so pointless. I still cannot understand why the OP thinks he or she (I don't remember which it is) should be married in a Catholic ceremony. The ceremony (even in the most dumbed-down form) still involves

Really? Who are you to decide that my looking for a priest to perform our wedding ceremony is "pointless"? :mad:

To answer a number of posts; assumptions are being made to me being Catholic or non-Catholic. How Catholic I am is not the question here, because as stated before I have never been asked by a priest if I'm a Catholic, non practising Catholic ; but have still being refused.

The problem is that asking a priest to marry one in a predominately Catholic country, where the assumption must be that both parties are Catholic, has resulted in refusal. It's got nothing to do with our faith; it has not been questioned.
    Pamela111 wrote:
    I would have to disagree with the statement that this is "the most important day of our lives".

The most important days of our lives include Baptism, receiving the sacrements and of course our day of judgement.

Sorry, who are you to tell me what I should regard as the most important day of my life?

Anyway, I think this thread just keeps descending into questions of whether we're Catholic, why we want a Catholic wedding etc. There are others here that have helped, and others who have explained in detail why it is the problem exists (i.e. lack of priests and the amount of workload they have - which of course I am sympathetic to). Thanks to you folks.

As for the rest of you, I was hoping you would have a little more "faith" and just maybe help with the how, not keep asking why.

But thanks anyway, and I'll leave this thread at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

F@ces wrote: »
    To answer a number of posts; assumptions are being made to me being Catholic or non-Catholic. How Catholic I am is not the question here, because as stated before I have never been asked by a priest if I'm a Catholic, non practising Catholic ; but have still being refused.

If you are active in your local parish, why not ask your priest to help you out, after a Sunday service or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

OP contact your bishop.

The priest is only an official witness of the Church, technically the couple marry themselves. If in times of great need or where a priest cannot be arranged a lay person can act as the Churchs official witness.

Its in the cannon before someone lances me!

Ive met preists who ve never done a wedding, try contacting some of the orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Just ring up the arch bhisiops office's it's full of people that can help;)

I havent looked threw this but it might help

http://www.gettingmarried.ie/pages/index.php

ryoishin & crotalus667, thanks for taking the time to try to help. We'll get it sorted, cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

wonderfull news i will tell the local priest of your out come,i am sure he will tell me ;i told you so;but i am not giving him another pint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

wondering if you did sort it; am not often on here these days... Blessings and peace to you.

F@ces wrote: »
    ryoishin & crotalus667, thanks for taking the time to try to help. We'll get it sorted, cheers :D

Hi Sorella,

I reckon we'll be fine. The lady who deals with things for the priest in the parish we are getting married said that if we don't find someone the priest there will do it. As it happens got a text last night from a mate's wife who told me she knows someone in the area as well. So we should be okay!

Thanks again for all the info/help you gave us. Take care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

so glad:) Have a wonderful wedding and a long and happy life:)Blessings...

• Advertisement
Advertisement