Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The long slog back to being well again

Options
  • 01-10-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I hope some people on here might have some advice for me.

I have a pacemaker for slow heart rate/heart block and about a year and a half ago it stopped working and in october of last year they replaced it. When it wasn't working I felt pretty bad. The replacement surgery wasn't a success as I got an infection in my heart. I had to have the whole lot surgically removed and I was also on massive doses of antibiotics. I also had anaphlayatic shock as a reaction to the antibiotics at one point. I ended up in hospital for two months. Eventually I got out and a few months later I got a new pacemaker.

The first time I got my pacemaker I felt much better as my problem was corrected. This time is nothing like that. I feel wrecked tired, short of breath and depressed. I am going back to see the doctors soon. I think there is still something wrong.

I just wonder how people cope with being sick for so long. At this stage I'm beginning to lose hope that I will ever be well. I lost my job after this and I still haven't got another. I think I may be too tired to even do a job. At the start of my illness I was really positive and focused on getting out of hospital. But now a whole year later and I'm not better. I eat well and exercise and do all the doctors said and still I'm not back to normal. Some days are better than others and I suppose you have to focus on the good ones. But I do wonder when it will be all good days again.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Takes a long long time. Yes, focus on the good days and slowly they will increase. Maybe keep a jourmal then you can look back and see the progress you have made.

I find that doing something for others boosts the spirit; I am a keen knitter and we sell my work to feed our abandoned babies.

Blessings and prayers

Advertisement