Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman laptop

Options
  • 01-10-2008 4:58pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    Harvey Norman are advertising in papers, radio and tv a special birthday offer of 399 with a 5 year warranty, ending in November.
    They have other laptops in the offer.

So I sent in a friend of mine who is looking a dog basic laptop to HN in Castlebar, he was told that the laptop was sold out on first day and that they would not have any more. Next option was 899 euro.

Now what I am a bit annoyed about is that they are still advertising an offer which is not available, then trying to sell you a much inflated priced laptop for the spec.

Can they do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I would think they would have paid for the adds to run for a set amount of time. Maybe they didnt expect them to sell out that quickly? Im sure its not benefiting them anyway due to advertising costs and customer enquiries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Not a fan of "Harvey Norman" and their prices but what the above poster said is true.
    They probably went for a (pay for) 2 and get a 3 day advert package or something similar.
    Its quite common. Same thing happened with Waterstones and the sales of their E-readers very recently and they were still advertising them after they went out of stock. Sold out quicker than expected.

All you can do is tough it out and not be talked or pressurised into buying something more expensive. There are other sellers out there with stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

yop wrote: »
    Guys,
    Harvey Norman are advertising in papers, radio and tv a special birthday offer of 399 with a 5 year warranty, ending in November.
    They have other laptops in the offer.

So I sent in a friend of mine who is looking a dog basic laptop to HN in Castlebar, he was told that the laptop was sold out on first day and that they would not have any more. Next option was 899 euro.

Now what I am a bit annoyed about is that they are still advertising an offer which is not available, then trying to sell you a much inflated priced laptop for the spec.

Can they do this?

Harvey Normans always seems to be the most expensive shop for most items including PC's and flat panels.

899 seems expensive for a basic laptop. Most shops sell basic, non-netbooks, for between 450 and 600.

You could also get a basic DELL (Celeron DC with 1GB) for around 500 or around 600 for a C2D with 2GB. Your friend should check out Currys, PC World, Peats or even Power City.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jahalpin wrote: »
    check out Currys, PC World
    Avoid these two.

=-=

If HN had 2 laptops per store, the ad would be legit. It gets people into the store, and since they're there, wanting to buy a laptop, people would sometimes just buy the next one up. Simple technique, but effective, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The HN add on TV and Radio is enough to put me off setting my foot in the door of the place. Well known trick is to advertise a "loss leader" to get you there that just happens to be "sold out". when you enquire about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thanks guys, I have got him a Dell this morning.

Just dont like their tactics I suppose!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I am AMAZED at the customer service I got from Harvey Normans!
    I bought an Acer Aspire One laptop from the Rathfarnham/Nutgrove branch a few days ago. As soon as I got home, found out it was a dud, the trackpad wasn't detected by the laptop. There was also no case in the box, as there should have been, and the package containing the manual and restore disc had been tampered with...so it was quite possibly already returned to HN's as faulty, and then put back into their stock.

Having read threads on here about them, I prepared myself for a row the next day when I went in to ask for a refund or replacement.

Dealt with a really nice guy who was very apologetic and instantly gave me a replacement, AND threw in a laptop bag worth 50 euro to make it up to me!

Haven't received such good customer service in a long time!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

great to hear some positive customer service stories about a company for a change :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

eth0_ wrote: »
    I am AMAZED at the customer service I got from Harvey Normans!
    I bought an Acer Aspire One laptop from the Rathfarnham/Nutgrove branch a few days ago. As soon as I got home, found out it was a dud, the trackpad wasn't detected by the laptop. There was also no case in the box, as there should have been, and the package containing the manual and restore disc had been tampered with...so it was quite possibly already returned to HN's as faulty, and then put back into their stock.

Having read threads on here about them, I prepared myself for a row the next day when I went in to ask for a refund or replacement.

Dealt with a really nice guy who was very apologetic and instantly gave me a replacement, AND threw in a laptop bag worth 50 euro to make it up to me!

Glad you got sorted.
    Sounds like one of his co-workers slipped up (and he knew it) returning something to the stock and you temp-wise came out the worst of it.
    However you got it sorted and got a bonus (which might be seen as "hopefully they will take this and say nothing more!" LOL).

At the end of the day, I don't blame the staff, its the strict official rules they are forced to abide by, the store terrible prices, the companies false claims "our prices can't be beaten" (by god they can!) and the unofficial rules also that is never mentioned to the customers.
    As one rep spoke to me not so long ago... "I can't say or do much while I am wearing this uniform"
    - but he filled me in later off the premises!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jao

I really like HN, actually.
    I'd spend the extra few bob in there rather then being hastelled anytime i looked at something.
    The one in blanch is great, the guys are all really nice too.

thumbs up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

I would never buy from them!! I was in there about 8 months ago pricing tvs on a weekly basis at a time when i was looking to buy myself a new one for the apt. I was writing down the prices on a foolscap and in the period I was there each of the store guys came up and asked me if I needed help; I wouldnt mind but there were 6 or 7 of them all standing together so they knew I had already been asked!! they just didnt like that I was writing down all the prices and "special offers" of tvs. Anyway, about 2 weeks later I was in and they had one 50" plasma selling for the same price as before that weekends sale with sign saying Special Sale price and in small marker saying it was 250 euros more expensive before that weekend!!!
    I was also in the Rathfarnham store about 2 months ago and they had Guitar Hero 2 with guitar on the PS2 selling for €120!!!!!!!!! ....very competitive:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

eth0_ wrote: »

it always pays to strike while the iron is hot and when the staff will probably remember you and be glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They can sell at whatever price they like, call it an 'idiot tax' for those who don't shop around.

Advertisement