Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mobile advice sought

• 01-10-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Am going travelling for a year, and want to take the mobile for emergencies, but will not be using it regularly.

I have a Nokia 3120 and I'm not sure if that will work in other countries/continents - something about different bands (sorry, not up todate with all this technology).

Am I wasting my time bringing the phone I have, should I bring it and buy new SIM cards in every country I visit and will they work, or should I just wait and buy a new phone in India.

So many questions, all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah definitely bring it! First thing is if you are on bill change over to pay as you go and then disable voice mail. I believe if you are in say India and you don't answer a call and it goes to message minder then you are charged for receiving the message at the roaming rate for India. Anyway it costs nothing to receive texts and if you have a little credit on your phone then its handy to have for sending texts in emergencies. If your not sure what countries your phone will work in then find out what bandwidths its rated for and then have a look at this page for a list of countries and their standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Ritchi

I'm going to get a new Irish SIM for my travels. I'm currently with 3, but I know they're pretty bad as regards roaming, I'd say it's down to either O2 or vodafone that will work in most countries, which is better?

I'm going to India, SE Asia, OZ(I may get an Oz SIM while I'm there), NZ, SA and Central America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gone soon

Yeah definitely bring it! First thing is if you are on bill change over to pay as you go and then disable voice mail. I believe if you are in say India and you don't answer a call and it goes to message minder then you are charged for receiving the message at the roaming rate for India. Anyway it costs nothing to receive texts and if you have a little credit on your phone then its handy to have for sending texts in emergencies. If your not sure what countries your phone will work in then find out what bandwidths its rated for and then have a look at this page for a list of countries and their standards.

Excellent link Al, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Spider_Baby

I bought sim cards in most countries I visited.
    I was in Vietnam for a month so I bought a Sim card. It meant my family and friends always had a number to call me on if they needed to contact me.
    Also, it was dirt cheap to send texts from the Vietnamese sim card, even international texts.
    Myself and my friends split up for a while in Vietnam so it was extremely handy for arranging dates to meet up etc, instead of relying on internet cafes.
    Ask your hostel owner or guesthouse owner which is the best provider to sign up to so you get the cheaper rates.

Advertisement