Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything i can do?

Options
  • 01-10-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

Hi all, basically i got in touch with the relevant people regarding a grant and because i have lived in derry for the last year i cant get a grant from the government and as i am not a citizen up here either i cant get a grant up here, the only thing i can get is my tuition fee's paid which i have gotten but thats it no help with cost of living or anything

Is there anything i can do in this position? I am putting it into mature students as i am one btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭reganovich

Can you not apply through the NI system. THey have excellent student loan schemes I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

reganovich wrote: »
    Can you not apply through the NI system. THey have excellent student loan schemes I believe

Yeah they do, only problem is if you were not born here then you have to spend three years prior to the year you start studying which because i started then took some time out i would have to have been livin here from 2002 :mad:

It is balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Are your parents down South? If so, can't you claim you're 'ordinarily' resident with them but for the purposes of going to college in Derry? It worked for me with my local VEC this year :D They base residency on some magic date in October of the preceding year; for which I was technically living with my parents in the South, but 'away' at college in the North.

Have they extended the hardship fund at UU to include people born in ROI? There was uproar in first year about it only being available to those born in NI....and being a uni sponsored fund. Discrimination at its finest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

ellscurr wrote: »
    Are your parents down South? If so, can't you claim you're 'ordinarily' resident with them but for the purposes of going to college in Derry? It worked for me with my local VEC this year :D They base residency on some magic date in October of the preceding year; for which I was technically living with my parents in the South, but 'away' at college in the North.

Have they extended the hardship fund at UU to include people born in ROI? There was uproar in first year about it only being available to those born in NI....and being a uni sponsored fund. Discrimination at its finest :D

A ****in men and if it was the other way around there would be murder and war but sure what the hell can i do?

Yeah i could say that i was only in derry for college but was on a year out so the uni wouldnt give me anythin to say that, plus if you are resident in Dublin/south etc they want proof in the form of wage slips or social welfare payment proof and i could muster neither :(

Advertisement