Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking cost and time query

Options
  • 01-10-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Am due to get my 3 year old who is rising four broken this spring. would love to do it myself but dont have time or space to do so. Have looked around and have spoken with one guy who says he will break my filly in 6-8 weeks.

Now what I can recall when I worked with youngsters some time back it took longer than that. In saying that the lady I worked for was very particular was big into eventing and took her time with the initial stages.

This guy is very genuine and professional its just I dont want it to be a rush job either as she is a lovely mover and pretty little thing. He has told me Im looking at paying in around €1200.

What do you all think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 giorgi

Hey there!!!
    Yeah I broke a colt this year - now he was a little bit older, at 5 - and he was being ridden after 3 weeks, had a saddle on him after 3 days. But I would not be able to put a time frame on it, its more to do with the horse and how she will respond to being broken in. Make sense??!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

Totally depends on how much preparation work you've done so far. If you've sending her away, I'd make a point of being there in person for as many of this training sessions as possible. I'd also watch this person start other horses before you send your horse to them, to get a better idea of how they go about things. I reckon if you get your horse started right you really set them up for life. Get it wrong and you can end up trying to sort it out for ages afterwards. Good luck :cool:

Have pm-ed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi, just spent this summer breaking a youngster from leading right through to riding. Took a total of ten weeks, two of which where holidays for either me or owner. If the €1200 include sfull livery as well as all breaking, I'd go with the rest of the advice above re watching them start someone elses horse first. If it is only for breaking fees, then keep searching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

would you not do it yourself?best way to make a horse is to do it yourself!!!! ive broken loads and it definitely depends on the horse as to how long it takes, some have taken months to be broken proper whilst ive had others riding within 2 or 3 weeks,

Advertisement