Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What poets do you wan to come up in English this year?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

montague is my favourite. after him bishop followed by keats. we just started walcott this week. not so bad so far. we have all the six poets covered then. i dispise longley. hate the sh*t he writes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Mahon ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭damienricefan

andyman wrote: »
    Derek Mahon
    John Montague
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Philip Larkin

All of these poets are NOT on next years course. I'd mainly focus on them plus Derek Walcott as he's the new poet for this year. We're not doing Larkin but if Mahon or Montague came up I'd actually stand up in my exam centre and do backflips.

And also remember, just because Mahon or Rich came up last year does not mean that they wont come up again this year. This paper is supposed to be unpredictable. I'm pretty sure a poet has come up in successive years as well just from glancing through the exam papers.

Poets have come up in successive years and I have a snifter of a feeling Rich may do that this year, cos she's new last year and it would be a real kick in the teeth to the Bishop prepared people

but maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

in the 1850s three sisters wrote poetry in a parsonage in a small village-non of them was ment to be published---the names are charlotte anne and emily bronte-all have a irish conection-farther rev patric bronte -also charlotte married a irishman--the poems are brilliant -if you do nothing else-read just one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

I hate Larkin with a passion. Longley does nothing for me. Their poems are so straightforward; my style is to make my own conclusions on what the poem is about (can't really be wrong in your interpretation of the poem, but I'm guessing it's good to say something other than what's surmised in the back of the book; I've been getting straight A's since last year in my essays) and it's just so hard to do that when it's glaringly obvious. The first Larkin poem we did was At grass and I knew immediately I'd be in trouble if this guy came up in the exam...

For me, I get the most insights out of Bishop, Keats and Rich. In particular, In the Waiting Room, Diving Into the Wreck, and When I Have Fears. If Rich comes up I will be a happy happy camper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Mahon
    Rich
    Larkin

Because I did them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Keats
    Montague
    Mahon

Hate Rich..........

Advertisement