Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Virtues of buying a 1.8l car

Options
  • 01-10-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

How do guys.

Im just trying to get my head around a few options for cars.

Most of the cars I seem to like the most have 1.8L engines on them. Being 26with 4 years no claims, i would hope that insurance wouldnt be too high.

Has any one got any opinions on bying a 1.8? Is it worth the extra expense? Should I just settle for a 1.4 or 1.6? The car I was looking at was a mazda 6 or Vectra GTS. If its a 1.4 it would prob be a focus or along those lines....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What do you drive now, and how do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Get a 1.8 it won't cost that much extra to insure. I'm driving a 1.6 and next car as a minimum i'll be getting a 1.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I drive a 1.2 Bravo at the moment and it does my nut to be honesy. Im not looking for super fast performance or anything, its just that they two 1.8's seem to be the ones that catch my eye the most.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd start by driving a few cars, that should give you a much better idea. Remember that a 1.8 in a Bravo-sized car will be significantly nippier than the same engine in a Mazda 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When your talking about cars the size of a Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, etc then they are more suited to a 1.8 litre engine than a 1.6 litre. 1.6 litre engines in cars that size are a false economy imo. The struggle under the weight of the car making them underpowered and heavier on fuel. My last car was 1.8 litre petrol and it was just as economical as my father in law's 1.6 litre version of the same car. Tax was only about €80 more per year than a 1.6 and the insurance increase was negligible for me.

To be honest I think the jump in running expenses from a 1.2 to 1.8 is nearly the same as going to 1.6 litre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Make sure it's a turbo too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

haha,

if im concerned enough to post about simply buying a 1.8L engine, I dont think a turbo is gonna come into the equation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

bazz26 wrote: »
    When your talking about cars the size of a Mazda 6, Ford Mondeo, etc then they are more suited to a 1.8 litre engine than a 1.6 litre. 1.6 litre engines in cars that size are a false economy imo. The struggle under the weight of the car making them underpowered and heavier on fuel. My last car was 1.8 litre petrol and it was just as economical as my father in law's 1.6 litre version of the same car. Tax was only about €80 more per year than a 1.6 and the insurance increase was negligible for me.

To be honest I think the jump in running expenses from a 1.2 to 1.8 is nearly the same as going to 1.6 litre.

What Bazz said.
    I ran a Mazda 626 1.8l for 3 years, and which for its size and comfort, was amazingly economical. A 1.6l engine ( which didnt exist in this model ) would have struggled, and would almost definately been heavier on fuel.

The tax difference between a 1.6 and 1.8 is marginal compared to the comfort of having a car that can overtake swiftly and safely. On the insurance side of things (in view of your tender years ;) ), shop around before you make your final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm the same age as you with the same no claims and I drive a 1.8 litre Civic. The insurance isn't too bad - go get some online quotes. Plus she's pretty quick once you keep the revs high :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Dude, I'm 20 and driving a 2.0l with only 2 years NCB. Live a little! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

thehamo wrote: »
    Has any one got any opinions on bying a 1.8?

I have a 1.8 (albeit a diesel) I fail to see how a Cinquento would be cheaper to run (leaving aside tax). Insurance is about €400 or something along those lines.

My advice:

Get a 2.5 or bigger :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you're looking for something bigger than a Bravo, then you'd want to be a right eejit to buy an underpowered low spec 1.6 paddy special.

1.6s are fine in a Focus, Bravo etc but most certainly are not in cars like the Vectra, Mondeo etc which these days are nearly the size of a 5 series so clearly they need a bigger engine.

Alternatively, if you're worried about running costs then consider a diesel, though these are usually 2.0s in this category. These are probably the best solution, plenty of go and good mpg. I'd love to tell you to buy a 2.0 petrol but they're as rare as hens teeth in addition to being sale proof unfortunately. There are 1.6 diesels but they only have as much power as a 1.6 petrol so they're going to be as hopeless as a 1.6 petrol, but noisier and less smooth.

VW do a 1.9 diesel but that is appalling, Opel do a 1.9 diesel(from 05 on) and that is considered to be one of the best of the type in addition to being very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

E92 wrote: »
    ..Opel do a 1.9 diesel(from 05 on) and that is considered to be one of the best of the type in addition to being very reliable.

Correct. That's because it's a Fiat engine ! :)

Same engine in my Saab 9-3, btw.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I would add a caveat to the diesel recommendations above. Just make sure its a turbo diesel (they all should be these days at that size range). I remember hiring a small car in Spain years ago with a 1.1 Diesel. It was funnily bad at times, outright dangerously underpowered at others!

I drive a 2.0L TFSI. Cant recommend that engine enough! Audi/Seat/VW etc all have it. Similarly the 1.4 TFSI is supposed to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You should be looking at all the other characteristics of an engine not just the capacity. Torque, BHP, MPG etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

just grow some balls and buy one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Id go for whatever car u can afford to run and insure, more power usually makes a more enjoyable and safer driving experience, no point in praying to the lord when ur out of power trying to overtake in an underpowered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Notch000 wrote: »
    just grow some balls and buy one

Thats surely going to help the OP make an informed choice. Brilliant:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

BostonB wrote: »
    You should be looking at all the other characteristics of an engine not just the capacity. Torque, BHP, MPG etc.

what he said

capacity is almost a non issue, tax considerations aside (and thats only if we are taking second hand if new it is a non issue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

thehamo wrote: »
    haha,

if im concerned enough to post about simply buying a 1.8L engine, I dont think a turbo is gonna come into the equation!

Don't heed any neighbours or friends who's jaws drop when you mention higher engine sizes than 1.6. The Irish are afraid of big engines, for no real reason.
    I wouldn't bother with a 1.8 in the cars you've mentioned though, the diesel options in either make more sense, drive both and you'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Well, my last car was a 1.8T, new car is 3.2... wonder what will come next :eek:

Seriously though, go for it. And go for the Turbo too, doesn't add much to cost of insurance, and nothing extra to the tax..... but it adds a hell of a lot to the drive experience :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

BostonB wrote: »

This is spot on. In general the engine size doesnt mean a whole lot. Remember the VAG SDI engine? 1.9L animal pumping out......67BHP? Look at the likes of the Cooper S (1.6 aprox 170BHP), Corsa OPC (1.6 190BHP) or the new VAG 1.4 turbo engines (up to 170BHP). Think power/weight ratio not capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

omega man wrote: »
    This is spot on. In general the engine size doesnt mean a whole lot. Remember the VAG SDI engine? 1.9L animal pumping out......67BHP? Look at the likes of the Cooper S (1.6 aprox 170BHP), Corsa OPC (1.6 190BHP) or the new VAG 1.4 turbo engines (up to 170BHP). Think power/weight ratio not capacity.

+1 but only after deciding what type of car you want for what you want to spend. Then test drive some and see if its quick enough for you. Most cars have a range of engines so one of them will suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Unless its changed recently (again) for a 1.8L it's going to cost you €530 a year car tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Morlar wrote: »
    Unless its changed recently (again) for a 1.8L it's going to cost you €530 a year car tax.

if its a s/h car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭paddy316i

I have a 2.8 litre 3 series and it's actually very good on fuel and cheap insurance too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Advertisement