Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

sat nav

Options
  • 01-10-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

my first time starting a thread:confused:
    just a quick question,can you use a sat nav outside a car? ie. if your out walking will it still work just the same or does it need to be plugged into a power source all the time?
    someone told the girlfriend that a satnav will only work when inside a car,and that it knows when its in a car!!!!

sorry if this is in the wrong place
    cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Course you can use it outside a car. Mine used to last about an hour on batteries

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Once it has batteries and a self contained antenna, you can use it outside the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

just make sure you dont leave it out in the rain, you can get some waterproof models that can be used on Motorbikes, IE Garman ZUMO 550, I find them handy walking around London if im there on a night out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

on my tom tom theres an option to tell it wether your driving or walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

kceire wrote: »
    on my tom tom theres an option to tell it wether your driving or walking.

all that option will do is slow down it's calculations. Most representations of motion on your system is calculated based on the assumption you are moving at a certain speed which is why, when you turn off the route, it takes a few seconds for it to realise it. It reduces data traffic loads on the satellite.

So your walking option will slow things down to a 4/5 km/h pace.

See?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AlanD wrote: »
    all that option will do is slow down it's calculations. Most representations of motion on your system is calculated based on the assumption you are moving at a certain speed which is why, when you turn off the route, it takes a few seconds for it to realise it. It reduces data traffic loads on the satellite.

See?
    It also affects how it calculates routes - pedestrians are not subject to one-way streets etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

AlanD wrote: »

See?

How can it 'reduce data loads on the satelite' when there is no data sent back, its purely one way and uses multiple satelites to work out where it is. All the walking option does is ignore one way systems as it doesnt apply to pedestrians and obviously a pedestrian can't walk along a motorway.

Yes, it does work outside your car and i've used it for find addresses in cities perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

craichoe wrote: »
    How can it 'reduce data loads on the satelite' when there is no data sent back, its purely one way and uses multiple satelites to work out where it is.
    How come a Garmin handheld comes with the facility for the company to trace it for you if it's lost then?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement