Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

youth talent search

Options
  • 01-10-2008 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

did anyone here sit the CTYI tests

i think i'd really like it but i dont think i'll be able for it.
    i figured leaving certs would have most knowledge as they could have been there done that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

danoboy254 wrote: »
    did anyone here sit the CTYI tests

i think i'd really like it but i dont think i'll be able for it.
    i figured leaving certs would have most knowledge as they could have been there done that?

Go for it.
    Chances are you'd get in on either the Math or Verbal, if not both. I did it in 2004, got in with the english and then did it again the next year and got both. I think the format changed in 2005 and there's an essay now, but i'm sure it would still be ok. There's lots of websites that have sample questions, or even better you could get a prep book off amazon for a few dollars.
    It's worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

The only way you'll know whether you're "able for it" is if you give it a try! You don't even have to tell anyone you're taking the test if you don't want to, it's just a few hours on a Saturday.

CTYI is really a fantastic experience though. I took the test in 2004 too and like RandomUserName! said, you only have to get in on one section. It's definitely worth it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I did CTYI for a few years when I was younger, but I gave it up in third year. It's brilliant! I miss it now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I did CTYI, enjoyed it muchly, PM me if you want to know more about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Piste wrote: »

In fairness, you may as well have sent him looking for answers in the Sahara...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Some people still check the board though, even if they never post and chances ar eif they know about the board and visit it then they went to CTYI and could better answer his question.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭danoboy254

sounds super! i'm gonna go for it and i'm pretty confident.
    just a bit unsure of what they expect.

now all i have to do is find the €50 exam fee somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭LL92

of course he'd manage!
    he got 11 A's in his junior cert! :D:D
    put us all to shame! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 princess764

You should totally go for it! I loved it - still wonder about how I actually manage to get in, but really glad I did!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Woah, there sure are a lot of CTYI people on this forum!

There's an essay now?! Ha! Hate tha!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Good luck! I think the exam was different when I did it too, only thing I couldn't do was the basic trig..

Hahahaha yeah thank God it was multiple choice, I did grand on verbal and was a few percent off on Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 princess764

Essays sound impossible. The whole fill in the boxes was the only reason I got in!

i don't even know what it is? what is it? do you have to have gotten all A's in the junior to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

LL92 wrote: »
    i don't even know what it is? what is it? do you have to have gotten all A's in the junior to do it?
    no

Check out the terrible website:
    http://www.dcu.ie/ctyi/

Some kids there get straight As, some do quite poor. The majority are well above average students in school.

You have to do well in certain aptitude tests, top 3-4% if I recall correctly. The idea is to get intelligent kids as opposed to those who do very well at school, they are not always the same people.

oops you have to be under 16! :p
    meh, it doesn't matter. it's probably way too complicated and i only wanted to check it out for something to "look good on the cv". :pac:
    thanks though! ;)

LL92 clear off, just cos u know who i am doesnt mean u go lookin up all my posts!....so embarrasing, dont tell any1 at school! haha!

oh thanks peeps, forgot to come back here after the test
    did it early 2009 and got on grand, average enough score, cant really remember it except that it's pretty hard......and there was no essay ! holy crap....that sound harder again.

i got accepted anyways In the end i didn go to the summer camp, clashed with family holidays!
    but i am doing a psychology correspondance course where i email an essay a month and get some cert at the end! it's enjoyable enuf, difficult at times. but i'd recommend it if ur not goin to the summer camp, i'll never get to go to a camp but i'll get over it!

u guys were right in the end! the test is not sumthing to worry about! :D:D

seriously! u have to say that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The test I did back in 2005 I think was a sample SAT, which had maths and verbal, can't remember the one that I did when I was in sixth class. Did a journalism correspondence course I was in fourth year, good learning experience.

Though I did hear that funding for it has been cut by the Gov, which is bad news for them

Advertisement