Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diabetes

Options
  • 01-10-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi,just wondering does anybody attend the day center in saint james hospital in dublin??

sorry i posted this also elsewere but i dont now how to move it from previous topic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭niamh.brady

Hi there. I attended James' before I moved out of the big smoke. I found it a great clinic and there was always somebody to support mr. Prof Nolan is great when you get to see him and the junior doctors - though constantly changing were brilliant.

I think the main praise should go to the nursing team - Catherine and all the girls as they seem to know more about diabetes than most doctors and diabetics even. I was diagnosed with type 1 in James' and was 24 at the time so not expecting it. They gave me all the support I needed both as an in-patient and outpatient and were always available on the phone when I was in a panic.

I've been to 2 other clinics since but I am tempted to go back to James' and just take some holiday days to go up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's a great spot. I've a lot of time for all the staff and they do seem competent at their job. I travel up to St. James from Louth for the last 6 months, and I already feel happier about my diabetes. My local hospital had totally inadequate diabetes care and non-existent followup support.

The only eye checkup in the few years before I moved was when me and my mother got a referral from my GP for an eye checkup through the public system. After waiting for about a year, they wrote another letter within a month of the appointment to say that it was moved another 10 or so months down the line. We were outraged at this. My mother knew some of the nurses in the outpatients area and also our GP informed them that a diabetec who never had an eye checkup was not a low priority. So something was arranged for 2 months later, or something like that.

I shouldn't have to go private for a routine checkup like that, so I tried to get moved to a hospital in Dublin. I heard St. James' was pretty good, so my existing consultant sent a letter there and they eventually accepted me as I was going to be living in Dublin. It was definetely worth it for me.

Advertisement