Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster cost?

Options
  • 01-10-2008 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just wondering how much a hamster with accessories would cost? Cage, wheel, exercise ball etc? Looking to get one as a gift for my GF :D

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Depends on the housing you get but the bigger the better, some ones with tunnels etc cost around the 80 euro mark or at least used to. Sometimes you can get second hand ones in the free ads papers. Some people find a large aquarium with a timber frame and wire lid works well with plenty of hidey places and toys etc a 3 foot tank could cost around the 70 euro mark again it depends on where you buy it check out some of the online shops for a quick and easy way to price check zooplus.ie is one.

I've tried lots of different kinds but ended up with the Habitrail..the older version not the newer ones as they are very small but added newer ones on to the older one over time.

If space is an issue you can get ones you can build upwards instead some people use the Rotostak brand ..think that's how you spell it.

You can avoid spending money on an excercise ball by just popping the plug in a clean dry bath and pop the hammy in their for floor time.

There's a pink Rotostak palace you can get, it's very cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Please don't get a hamster as a surprise present for your girlfriend - be sure it's something she definitely wants. :o

The best cage I've found so far, size-wise, is the Savic Hamster Heaven "Metro" and it costs about €120. That includes all the accessories you'll need (except the hamster, LOL!)

Hamsters need more care and are more long-lived than you might think... Please do your research first. ;)

I know a young hamster that is looking for a home - he's in Tipp. Let me know if you're interested. There are plenty of rescued hamsters out there looking for homes - no need to buy one from a petshop - too many of the store-bought hamsters have been bred in horrible conditions - with very few exceptions, it's not a trade you want to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Unfortunately the only place I know of so far that has that particular hamster cage buy their hamsters from the worst source for small rodents in this country. So the question is, is it ok to buy accessories off them, thus supporting them financially even though you may not be buying your hamster from them.

I would think it would be better to find a store that you are happy with where they are buying their smallies from (or else one that doesn't sell pets if you can't find one you are happy with otherwise). When you have found somewhere that you are happy to support then find the best cage that they can get, there are plenty of other really good cages available, a good store should be happy to let you browse through their catalogues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

You had me worried there for a minute Brenda, until I remembered I got mine in Maxi Zoo - they don't sell pets, just the accessories.

That said - there is another petstore chain I know of that I DO worry where they get their animals from... There is a poster up in the branch here saying that they always welcome contact from breeders and to speak to the store manager. I sincerely doubt the store manager goes out and vets all those breeders and checks the conditions that the animals are being bred/confined in.

Edited to add: My local petshop really stunned me recently when I told them that LAW had rescued some hamsters that were injured, pregnant, inbred, etc. They just couldn't believe that they had been dumped rather than being sold... As the guy in the petshop exclaimed, "sure we're always looking for hamsters!" It didn't matter a jot to him that these hamsters were unwell and that had the breeder sold them to him, he'd then be selling sickly, inbred hamsters to his customers. We as consumers need to ask more questions when it comes to buying small animals in petshops. Sure, they may be kept in clean cages in the petshop, but we don't know what kind of conditions they've come from. Really makes you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Whatever you do, avoid the regular cages and avoid the plastic tubes!!!

If you get a wire cage- Hamsters love digging and will fling their bedding out of the cage and all over your floor. They also love chewing and will chew the wire bars all night and keep you awake- trust me! No matter how many toys/chews/etc they get.

The plastic tubes are no good- Hamsters love using them as a toilet and no matter how much you clean them (I did daily), they will absorb the urine and will stink. Hamsters can also easily chew their way out of the tubes and escape.

The best thing to keep a hamster in is a glass fish tank with a secure, well- ventilated lid, with lots of shavings to dig in and lots of chew toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Whatever you do, avoid the regular cages and avoid the plastic tubes!!!

If you get a wire cage- Hamsters love digging and will fling their bedding out of the cage and all over your floor. They also love chewing and will chew the wire bars all night and keep you awake- trust me! No matter how many toys/chews/etc they get.

I will second this. I have my hamster with me in college and I keep her in my bedroom so that people coming in drunk won't be at her or anything like that. A night I have to put her in my bedroom cause she chews so much! I tried giving her an empty toilet roll last week - in half an hour it was devoured! With regards to the digging and making a mess just put a sheet of newspaper underneath the cage. This way you can either just pour the bedding into the bin or scoop it up and pop it back in the cage!

Deffo avoid wire cages they are a right pain.

Tip for cleaning, use plain cheap white vinegar for urine stains for stubborn stains allow it to soak for a few minutes then wipe. Perhaps get a hamster loo with chinchilla sand I used to use a Nutella Jar it never rolled around so didn't squish hamster but probably safer to use a regular hamster loo.
    They are very clean and will pee in one area. If using tubes you can reinforce them with sellotape but do check the cage and accessories regularly for wear and chewing.

zooplus.ie has fun toys etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Don't think the sellotape would be the best idea- a hamster would bite straight through it and also the glue on the tape could be toxic.

No the sellotape is put on the outside of the tube not the inside, the hamster cannot chew or get anywhere near it on the outside of the tube, have used this method with all hamsters over the years with no problems.

Advertisement