Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

potential problems with black pvc windows?

• 01-10-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

hi,

im thinking of putting in black PVC windows in our new build...but im a bit worried about potential problems a few years down the line with expansion & movement due to heat absorbsion? (with them obviously being black!)

i have disscussed this with a few different manufacturers & have been getting varied responses from:
    'we have so many problems with them that we have shortened our garuntee on them'...........to
    'no we have no problems with our systems'
    :confused:

any people on here who have black windows in for a number of years or know of any potential problems???

another system i have looked into are 'alu clad' windows (aluminuim on the outside timber on the inside...i think!! :o) same question with these basically.....if i get a black finish on the outside will there be problems with movement down the line?

thanks..........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 maryo'dee

We got a black pvc front door last year and every time the sun shines on it it expands and gets stuck. its a pain inthe arse as we have to yank it open and slam it closed. this is going to cause a problem in the long term.
    unless you wont be opening them much id think twice:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

have had them (black pvc) windows (pvc door in garage) installed now for over a year

no probs with expansion

maryo'dee wrote: »
    We got a black pvc front door last year and every time the sun shines on it it expands and gets stuck. its a pain inthe arse as we have to yank it open and slam it closed. this is going to cause a problem in the long term.
    unless you wont be opening them much id think twice:rolleyes:

I have exactly the same problem with our patio doors.
    De_man wrote: »
    have had them (black pvc) windows (pvc door in garage) installed now for over a year

no probs with expansion

My windows and back door are fine.

I have come to the conclusion that it is only an issue if the opening is above a certain size, small window openings are never an issue.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Black windows and doors in since 2004 and never an issue. Maybe the issue is also down to supplier, Munster v Senator for example. You gets what you pay for?

Advertisement