Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Religion?

Options
  • 01-10-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Ok, I want you to let go of your logical thinking and empirical evidence for a bit and imagine you had to pick a 'religion'.
    Which one would you choose and as far as your hypothetical choice goes-why this particular religion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Atheism

- because if you ask many of the posters over in the Christianity forum they will tell you it is a religion.

Or better yet 'Scientism'! :pac::eek::eek::D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Evolutionism for me.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Ok, let me be more specific. I'm talking about a belief in a 'god' of some sort.

Your choices are as follows from the most popular 'religions':

1. Christianity
    2. Islam
    3. Judaism
    4. Shikism
    5. Buddhism
    6. Hinduism

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jainism would probably do it for me, but they haven't really created a god figure, so it's probably not what you want. From your list, I'd choose Buddhism, as it's from the same general atheistic direction as Jainism.

btw, are you aware that Buddhism doesn't posit a supreme being?

Splendour wrote: »
    Ok, let me be more specific. I'm talking about a belief in a 'god' of some sort.

1. Christianity
    2. Islam
    3. Judaism
    4. Shikism
    5. Buddhism
    6. Hinduism

Bah! No love for Scientology? I wanna see aliens damnit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

robindch wrote: »
    Jainism would probably do it for me, but they haven't really created a god figure, so it's probably not what you want. From your list, I'd choose Buddhism, as it's from the same general atheistic direction as Jainism.

Guess I`d have to pick Buddhism:)

@Robin, just curious, why Jainism

robindch wrote: »

Yep-know that about Buddhism.
    So, given Buddhism is on the list, we can add Jainism -am sure there are tons of others too.
    Why this religion? As I don't know alot about it, I'm curious as to why you would choose it.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Bah! No love for Scientology? I wanna see aliens damnit!

Scientology eh? Ok then-apart from your love of aliens :rolleyes: - why Scientology??

Scientology eh? Ok then-apart from your love of aliens :rolleyes: - why Scientology??

Well TBH, it offers the chance to meet aliens. None of the other big religions do that.

edit: oh yeah, I wouldn't come in here rolling my eyes at someone for seeking out aliens. It is no more crazy than someone seeking out God. Perhaps less.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well TBH, it offers the chance to meet aliens. None of the other big religions do that.

edit: oh yeah, I wouldn't come in here rolling my eyes at someone for seeking out aliens. It is no more crazy than someone seeking out God. Perhaps less.

The rolling eyes were more of a 'why would anyone want to meet aliens anyway' rather than the fact as to whether or not they actually exist...

• Advertisement

The rolling eyes were more of a 'why would anyone want to meet aliens anyway' rather than the fact as to whether or not they actually exist...

Assuming they arent the anal probey type it would be a great experience. Imagine how privileged you'd feel to be one of the few who made contact with an intelligent race from another planet. Who knows, they might even divulge some of the secrets of the universe!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Asiaprod wrote: »
    @Robin, just curious, why Jainism
    Mostly because I've never see a war, or even mild civil strife, started by Jainists -- it seems a most peaceful religion, hardly even warranting the term in the strict sociological sense.

From the wikipage, the best of its (edited) main points are:
    1. Regard every living being as yourself and harm no one.
    2. Every soul is the architect of its own life and destiny.
    3. Non-violence is the soul of good conduct.
    4. Limit your possessions
    5. Enjoy the company of the better qualified
    All of which seem rather honorable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

1. Christianity
    2. Islam
    3. Judaism
    4. Shikism
    5. Buddhism
    6. Hinduism

Well the first three are mainly about guilt and plastique.

The 4th is about not liking the 3rd.

The 5th is a bit too "Blossoms fall gently on spring water" to which the Buddah responded "Ah, but the lark sings in many voices" for my tastes.

The 6th has too many elephants.

I'm wondering why you are asking this? Consideirng that for the most part logic, evidence and rationality are at the core of most of the posters on this forums worldview it seems a little peculiar to ask them to "put it aside".

Put another way, its a bit like asking a Christian "Putting the existance of god and the holy trinity aside for the minute, which of this short list of alternative religions would you pick to believe in".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'd choose Judaism....because I'm tired of being poor. And they make better scientists and better comedians than the others.

Although I'm sure Jehova's Witnesses would know the best knock knock jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Buddhism, Zen Buddhism to be more specific.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Mormon - giggidy giggidy :).

*Whistles bilssfully* "Joseph Smith was a prophet, dumb da-dumb-dumb-dumb"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'd go for one of the main Aztec religions. Who among ye first wants to have their chest ripped open and have my hand in there, digging out their heart?

Form an orderly queue now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

What, no noodley appendages? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd totally become a violently Islamic nut. That sounds awesome. Truly believing you're an avatar of God's wrath against the infidel, has to be empowering. Just think back to all those AK-47 rallies where we see thousands of furious Muslims screaming DEATH TO BUSH!

That sounds liberating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

No love for the Rastafarians?

If I *had* to pick ... worshipping the man-God Haile Selassie, smoking dope and great music!

"He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man."
    Psalms 104:14

Amen to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    I'd totally become a violently Islamic nut. That sounds awesome. Truly believing you're an avatar of God's wrath against the infidel, has to be empowering. Just think back to all those AK-47 rallies where we see thousands of furious Muslims screaming DEATH TO BUSH!

That sounds liberating.
    I knew this quote would come in handy:
    Zillah wrote: »
    Intolerance is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

how about wicker its one of oldest - if you do not like someone put a spell on him or her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The only religion I could go for would be some form of Deism. It is entirely plausable when compared to the revealed religions and makes no major demands on its followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

1. Christianity
    2. Islam
    3. Judaism
    4. Shikism
    5. Buddhism
    6. Hinduism
    1. Unitarianism. Because they are the only religion who are mature and intelligent enough to acknowledge the tentativeness of their beliefs.
    2. Jainism. Because they promote peace.
    3. Buddhism. Some interesting philosophy.
    4. Quakers. Some interesting people and like Unitarians they don't claim to know the ins and outs of God and encourage you to have your own view.
    5. Anglicanism / Roman Catholicism. The only intellectuals in Christianity have come from either of these Churches. Also I like the way they do a lot of humanitarian work. Trocaire and all that. I like the Catholic emphasis of forgiveness and they way both of them acknowledge Darwin, evolution and think the literalists / fundies / creationists are nutters.

Amish - I'm so fed up with electricity right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Origin for me, all hail the Ori!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'd go for that wicca stuff sure it'd be a great laugh with giving the ol evvvvvil eye and all that nakit sexual healing. Ohh baby.

It may as well be a fun religion if you have to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Dades wrote: »
    What, no noodley appendages? ;)

"Oh ye of little faith, why have you forsaken your Lord for cheap TV dinners? Don't you know that His Noodlage, Our Lord Spaghetti, provideth when ye are in need?"-Book of Mamma's Ragu Recipe 20:2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Hicksism - I've just started writing the Good Book on this man. In about 2000 years they'll be arguing about his existence.

• Advertisement

1. Christianity
    2. Islam
    3. Judaism
    4. Shikism
    5. Buddhism
    6. Hinduism
    Buddhsim as in the non-theistic one...?

Advertisement