Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

northern import questions

Options
  • 01-10-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Sorry in advance if these questions stupid but here goes...

I was thinking of buying a car in the north. I have ear marked one that looks like a really good deal.

1. As there would already be road tax paid on the vehicle does the irish road tax have to be paid straight away?

2. Is there any recourse from a private sale if the vehicle is a dud?

Anyone have any experience of what I'm about to do, would appreciate your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,964 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1: Their road tax is not valid here. You need to tax it as soon as possible after registering it - but as you need to register it anyway theres no 'right away' factor.

2: Principle of Caveat Emptor applies just as if it was a private sale down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 diydan

Thanks for that.

One other question, I know that the car came originally from the UK at about 6 months old and was then reregistered in Northern Ireland. I did a HPI check on the car just now and it said that the car was still registered to it's "first keeper". Am I ok in saying that the person I am buying it from, who imported it from the UK in the first place would be classed as the first keeper even though it was owned in the UK (with different, UK plates)?

Advertisement