Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for first time driver

Options
  • 27-11-2004 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I’m 24 and male and am just learning to drive(1st provisional)
    I know next to nothing about cars.
    Put simply I am looking for opinions please on what first car to buy.
    I’m not looking for some mad sporty GTI to impress the mates with :) but a decent, reliable, nice driving motor to get me from A to B with out costing a fortune to run and maintain.
    Does such a car exist??

Many thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

From what I gather, Polos are reliable, cheap to tax, and mainly cheap to insure considering its a 1litre.

Insurance will be your killer as your on a 1st prov

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

a decent, reliable, nice driving motor to get me from A to B with out costing a fortune to run and maintain.
    Does such a car exist??

It does, the Nissan Micra 1.0 liter

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

cheers lads will give them both a look

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I have a Nissan Micra, they are very good indeed. It's my first car, I don't have much experience with others but it hasn't let me down yet. Probably upgrading, for €2,500, it's yours;) 96, 60K on clock. Fine condition. NCT'd and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Micra's have a high second hand value due to their good record. They're known to last for ages, but they look naff! If I had the choice itd defo be a polo over a corsa/micra/etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Daewoo(now chevrolet) Matiz only 0.8 litre good on the fuel costs tax insurance etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭twin cam girl

Hi all,

I’m 24 and male and am just learning to drive(1st provisional)
    I know next to nothing about cars.
    Put simply I am looking for opinions please on what first car to buy.
    I’m not looking for some mad sporty GTI to impress the mates with :) but a decent, reliable, nice driving motor to get me from A to B with out costing a fortune to run and maintain.
    Does such a car exist??

Many thanks,

what about a pug 205 van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

what about a pug 205 van

Most insurance companies wont issue domestic insurance on "commercial" vehicles anymore.

I'd go for a boring but wise Micra.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

mike65 wrote:
    Most insurance companies wont issue domestic insurance on "commercial" vehicles anymore.

I'd go for a boring but wise Micra.

Mike.
    or if you need more room the 1.4 almera, maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm outside the age range for the Hibernian Ignition programme but you should give it a go. Supposed to get 20% (I think) off your insurance quote if you take their course. You could take it (probably educational if nothing else), get a quote and then ring around and tell each insurer the Hibernian quote.

Each year when I get the renewal quote from my current company I ring around trying to beat it. If someone offers lower I tell my current gang, if they can't match I move. I moved from First Call Direct to AA last year.

As a cyclist I ask that you look out for us, even those that like to wear black clothes at night (grr, give those of us who wear nerdy yellow stuff a bad name).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

daymobrew wrote:
    As a cyclist I ask that you look out for us, even those that like to wear black clothes at night (grr, give those of us who wear nerdy yellow stuff a bad name).

One of them blue flashing front lights will cost you €25. So worth it, you can see them from a great distance approaching. As a cyclist/driver myself I feel very safe with them. It's just down to relying on good drivers to keep me safe. Red flashing light is fine too, just has to be bright. The reflector belts work very well, the difference between them and dark clothes is substantial. No gear, no chance!

Advertisement