Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about the other female candidates ?

Options
  • 01-10-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

You'd think that there is only 2 political parties in the usa, but there aren't.
    You'd think that there is only 2 sets of candidates running and on the ballot, but there aren't.

The green party in American has it's own set of candidates running and both of them are female.

http://votetruth08.com/index.php/learn/meet-the-candidates

Cynthia Ann McKinney.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_McKinney
    Cynthia Ann McKinney (born March 17, 1955) is a former United States Representative and the 2008 Green Party nominee for President of the United States. McKinney served as a Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1993–2003 and 2005–2007, first representing Georgia’s 11th Congressional District and then Georgia’s 4th Congressional District. She is the first African American woman to have represented Georgia in the House.

and her running mate Rosa Clemente

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Clemente
    Rosa Alicia Clemente (born 18 April 1972) is a United States community organizer, independent journalist and Hip-Hop activist. She is the vice presidential running mate of 2008 Green Party Presidential candidate Cynthia McKinney.[1]

Clemente was born and raised in South Bronx, New York. She is a graduate of the University of Albany and Cornell University. Clemente has been delivering workshops, presentations and commentary for over ten years.

Comments

Are they running in every state?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In all fairness I've seen more pertinent posts than this being labelled as spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What makes you think the ballots would vary from state to state ?

amacachi wrote: »
    In all fairness I've seen more pertinent posts than this being labelled as spam.

If you have an issue with the post report it.
    They are legitimate candidates and historic ones at that and they are taking parting in the US Election 2008.

I was surprised that I only hears about them today as they are not getting any main stream press over here and was wondering if anyone else had heard of them and what their opinions are.

Apologies, was mostly joking. How are they historic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's already a thread on third party candidates. It didn't get many posts. There are other parties in the states, they just don't get elected to anything meaningful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Isn't Cynthia McKinney the Representative who assaulted Capitol Hill security? I seem to recall she was a little 'out there', even by the standards of Congresscritters.

NTM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so the 4th and 5th woman are running for the white house?

it's a bit old at this stage isn't it?

Ah right, didn't realise they were both black, there's already been a ticket with 2 women, one black and one hispanic.

• Advertisement

i'm all 'famous first'-ed out for this election. if they had a shot at anything above .03%, maybe more people would take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What makes you think the ballots would vary from state to state ?
    Because they do. Candidates have to register to be on the ballot for each state (hence that whole issue about McCain and Obama not being on the texan one, for instance.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You'd think that there is only 2 political parties in the usa, but there aren't.
    Unfortunately, in the US presidential election, there is a de facto two party system. Other party candidates don't have a chance for the two highest offices. The most they can hope for is to act the spoiler in a close race between the Democrats and Republicans.

On rare occasions other parties have won lower offices, like wrestler Jesse Ventura of the Independence Party winning Governor of Minnesota.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it will be a long time coming before one of the third parties make it into the office unfortunately. makes it a real A or B situation where both choices suck for varying reasons.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    it will be a long time coming before one of the third parties make it into the office unfortunately. makes it a real A or B situation where both choices suck for varying reasons.

Frankly, I think it'll take armed insurrection.

NTM

Frankly, I think it'll take armed insurrection.

NTM

jesse ventura for president.!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Mordeth wrote: »
    jesse ventura for president.!

Ventura (as POTUS): Russian forces will withdraw from Georgia immediately or we will respond.
    Medev: We will make you bleed if you do
    Ventura: I ain't got time to bleed.

Sorry. I'll get my coat ...

Advertisement