Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build

Options
  • 01-10-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Was handed a new Intel Q9450 today. I was going to just sell it but now I'm thinking the auld work PC could do with replacing.

Usually buy from Dell. Cheap and cheerful with no real problems. Never built a PC before but think its about time I give it a go.

PC is used for data processing. Mostly extremely large Excel files, anything upto 500mb in size and getting bigger.

Currently have a E8650, 4GB RAM with Vista. Budget around 1000e.

Would appreciate some help and any recommendations with a new build.

Thanks
    ambrose

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

a faster cpu wont really help you out here. What you really need is faster hard drivers like SSD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Hi Manties,

I plan on adding an SSD into the new build alright.

From doing a bit of research, Excel is very much able to take advantage of having a quad core. From what I can see I could possibly get upto a 40+% improvement on processing time. Even if I get a 25% improvement, it'll be well worth it. When it takes an hour and more to do some typical cell calculations, any sort of improvement is always good.

Advertisement