Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E71

• 01-10-2008 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

will meteor be getting the E71 does anybody know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i think they might make a killing if they do. if they did what they did with the n95 a few months back and get their 3g asses in gear they could poach a few of the disgruntled o2 customers out there.

i didnt think i'd like the e71 from the looks of the photo, but i played with one recently, and its quite nice. (and i own an n95 8gb) it wasnt as big and bulky as i was expecting (cos my only peeve with my n95 is the thickness). i dont know what it's be like to live with, any e71 owners out there?

if they bring it out before the current bill pay offer ends, they'd shift a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Meteor in Patrick's St. in Cork have a display card for an e71. However, there was an e61 sitting in it. Didn't have time to ask but i'd guess they're close to releasing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've had an E71 on Three for the last week.

The positives:
    - The battery life is great. I've been using mine for the last three days for music, phone and web and haven't had to charge it yet.
    - It's small and lightweight without feeling cheap.
    - It packs in a QWERTY keyboard, making it great to typing emails or editing documents on the go.
    - You can use it for Exchange
    - You can customise pretty much the entire device and change the function of the navigation keys to open up your application of choice. For example I have the mail button configured to open the Gmail app.
    -The screen is quite big making it easy to navigate.
    -The navigation buttons are very intuitive
    - It features a lot of things the iPhone doesn't like cut and paste and text forwarding
    - The operating system runs very quickly and responds promptly to commands. It's the fastest S60 phone I've used.
    - Opera Mini works very well on it for most websites

The negatives:
    - It's features a 2.5 mm headphone jack which means you have to either buy a converter, get Bluetooth headphones or use the lousy supplied Nokia ones.
    - The phone is not really built for playing video. Youtube plays fine but other websites with video clips don't play that well.
    - It slightly fiddly to transfer your music over to it if you use iTunes.
    - Some people say the 3.2MP camera is a little underpowered.
    - There's not a lot of games for it.

This phone is cheaper than the N96 and if offers more functionality and customisation then the iPhone. However, it's not as media friendly as those devices. If you want phone to play games, take pictures or watch media clips then this isn't the one for you.

However, if you want a more wallet friendly device that can surf the web, play music, handles email and has all the functionality of great phone then this is a good purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

silvine wrote: »

The positives:
    - The battery life is great. I've been using mine for the last three days for music, phone and web and haven't had to charge it yet.
    - It packs in a QWERTY keyboard, making it great to typing emails or editing documents on the go.
    - You can customise pretty much the entire device and change the function of the navigation keys to open up your application of choice. For example I have the mail button configured to open the Gmail app.
    - It features a lot of things the iPhone doesn't like cut and paste and text forwarding
    - The operating system runs very quickly and responds promptly to commands. It's the fastest S60 phone I've used.

The negatives:

- The phone is not really built for playing video. Youtube plays fine but other websites with video clips don't play that well.

This phone is cheaper than the N96 and if offers more functionality and customisation then the iPhone. However, it's not as media friendly as those devices. If you want phone to play games, take pictures or watch media clips then this isn't the one for you.

However, if you want a more wallet friendly device that can surf the web, play music, handles email and has all the functionality of great phone then this is a good purchase.
    sorry.... WHERE were you looking for games? There are hundreds! any game that works on, say, the 3 year old e61 works on the e71....
    If you use itunes, you have only yourself to blame :P
    There is hardly any phone that will play embedded video... what miracle machine have you been using in the past? Opera have been working for YEARS to build a video capable browser and it's still not there - be fair: nokia did a fine job upgrading the safari browser. Show me a phone that plays a 2 hour long google video?

otherwise, thanks for a nice review-lite :)
    great device :P

*STOP PRESS*

E66/E71 on meteor bill pay now from 129-199 depending on tariff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

*STOP PRESS*

E66/E71 on meteor bill pay now from 129-199 depending on tariff!

It has also been available for Business customers for the past few weeks. It looks like a great phone and a worthy replacement to the E61/i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

No sign of it on the website. Is it only in stores, and if so will CPW have it too?

where do you think i got the prices from? :D and yes they're in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

:-) Oh yeah !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I'd agree with most of what you say - if you are looking for a business phone that does email, use as a modem, listen to the radio, podcasts etc then its one of the best.

Its not really designed as a media phone (its an "E series") so I didn't expect much in that department and nor did I want it. I love the size - coming from the E61 its so much better, faster, more user friendly and fits in the pocket real nice.

silvine wrote: »

The positives:

The negatives:
    - It's features a 2.5 mm headphone jack which means you have to either buy a converter, get Bluetooth headphones or use the lousy supplied Nokia ones.
    - Some people say the 3.2MP camera is a little underpowered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

elderlemon wrote: »
    I'd agree with most of what you say - if you are looking for a business phone that does email, use as a modem, listen to the radio, podcasts etc then its one of the best.

Its not really designed as a media phone (its an "E series") so I didn't expect much in that department and nor did I want it. I love the size - coming from the E61 its so much better, faster, more user friendly and fits in the pocket real nice.

Would this be a recommended upgrade from a Nokia N73?
    €349 on 3 with €100 euro credit.

The battery life in my N73 is terrible. Nokia Email will also kil it in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

E71 battery life, as in all phones with 1500mah battery, is very good. The reason I didn't go for the E71, tempted as I was, is that I don't think the texting will be as fast as on T9. I never got the hang of the qwerty on E61/i so will hold out and use my E51 together with the bluetooth gps receiver, which gives the same functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

sorry.... WHERE were you looking for games? There are hundreds! any game that works on, say, the 3 year old e61 works on the e71....
    If you use itunes, you have only yourself to blame
    There is hardly any phone that will play embedded video... what miracle machine have you been using in the past? Opera have been working for YEARS to build a video capable browser and it's still not there - be fair: nokia did a fine job upgrading the safari browser. Show me a phone that plays a 2 hour long google video?

Do you know any good websites for buying games for the E71 and can you recommend an alternative music player to iTunes which works well with the phone (I have a Mac)?

ahh but the E71 has T9 (or that word completion?) as well! Works very well.

flodis79 wrote: »
    E71 battery life, as in all phones with 1500mah battery, is very good. The reason I didn't go for the E71, tempted as I was, is that I don't think the texting will be as fast as on T9. I never got the hang of the qwerty on E61/i so will hold out and use my E51 together with the bluetooth gps receiver, which gives the same functionality.

elderlemon wrote: »
    ahh but the E71 has T9 (or that word completion?) as well! Works very well.
    I'm actually beginning to think that the e71 might actually trump the e66. Especially now that I can actually get my hands on the e71.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I might be tempted by the E71 as I fancy a new gadget, but it seems that the SlingPlayer will not work with it yet, cannot tell if it will with the E66 or not though. Skype also aparently does not work on it according to the Three page for the E71 but I suspect that is just them being incompetant in writing the webpages as they also say in another part of the same page that it does.

robinph wrote: »
    I might be tempted by the E71 as I fancy a new gadget, but it seems that the SlingPlayer will not work with it yet, cannot tell if it will with the E66 or not though.

Hmm.... that's surprising that it doesn't work with newer phones as it works perfectly with the original n95 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Definately want to get one of these, anyone know if all Meteor (or which) stores have them in stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

all i think

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hmm.... that's surprising that it doesn't work with newer phones as it works perfectly with the original n95 for example.

This thread on the Sling forums has someone from Sling saying they are working on getting the versions for the fruit related devices working first. Surprised that it doesn't work though as there are already plenty of S60 devices out that it does work on.

• Advertisement

anyone know if this will be availiable on PAYG?
    i'm out of my bill pay contract in november and i don't know whether to move to pay as you go or get myself an amazing upgrade (currently using nokia 6233)

Three have it listed for €349 on 3pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

And its 369 on VF

By the way, a comparison of texting with E71, E90 and N95 is available here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Interesting, I happened to play with one of these yesterday and while I use my n95 for exchange email at the moment, I would love to have the E71 for it.

I may pop into a meteor store and see what they can do for me.

hmmm , i think i might get it as an upgrade with meteor in november, i dont have the cash to pay 350 for a phone....
    anyone know how much it will be on talk 300?

Won best phone and best smartphone of the year :)
    http://forums.ixplora.com/index.php?showtopic=2457

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭kirving

Do Metoer or Vodafone have the E66 available on PAYG? I'm looking for either that or the N78. No vodafone shop I have gone into has the N78, or even a release date. The N78 is on the Vodafone website though.

Do Metoer or Vodafone have the E66 available on PAYG? I'm looking for either that or the N78. No vodafone shop I have gone into has the N78, or even a release date. The N78 is on the Vodafone website though.

When I picked up my e71 on Friday, on of the shop assistants was showing me a working e66... Apparently "coming soon"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,128 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my mate just got an e71 and he wants to get his work email on it.

id imagine they have a basic mail server (family run business), how would i go about setting up email on it?

• Advertisement

probably the best bet it to try the nokia email - email.nokia.com. This supports pop and imap. You give it your mail login details and the type of server and it fetches your email for you and pushes it to the handset.

Cyrus wrote: »
    my mate just got an e71 and he wants to get his work email on it.

id imagine they have a basic mail server (family run business), how would i go about setting up email on it?

Advertisement