Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E71

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Are these out on Meteor's PAYG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

strecker wrote: »
    When I picked up my e71 on Friday, on of the shop assistants was showing me a working e66... Apparently "coming soon"!
    where'd you pick it up? how much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

metalfest wrote: »
    where'd you pick it up? how much

I don't like credit cards, and the hassle of online return policies etc, so I got a regular vodafone branded from vodafone in castelbar. €370; branding's just the start-up splash, and a discrete little "vodafone" below the keypad... I can live with it. Firmware seems alright: they didn't disable anything and there isn't even a vodafone theme :)
    And yes, in the shop they had a brandnew e66 but only for the staff to show and tell... I guess a week or 2 and it'll be on sale. The e65 was very successful, so they'd be nuts not to get the e66. That e66 is gorgeous btw, and no longer that weird casing material. Oh, the reckon it'll be a bit cheaper than the 71, so I guess €349 RTG?!

And I have to repeat: the e71 is incredible! My friend's website loads faster on the e71's safari browser than on my N95's opera mini!!! And to go to youtube.com and actually see it all work :lol: !!! (of course you'd want to use wifi ;) )
    The ONLY lag occurs when you load the music player, but with all that available ram you can just hide it in the background and then it starts in no time (I have an 8gb card filled to the brim, btw...zero slowdown!)

are you with vodafone?

metalfest wrote: »
    are you with vodafone?

yeah. Is that bad? :P:eek: ???

• Advertisement

lol, na i'm just wondering because i'm with meteor,

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Has anyone actually got one from or seen the E71 in a Meteor store because I went into Henry St today and was told:

1. None in store
    2. Not even on the computer system
    3. Staff were told it would be coming out mid October (to which staff member told me actually meant mid November!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

CPW have a few apparently for Metoer.

129 - 199 depending on the price plan ya choose.
    Cheapest price plan would obviously make the phone more expensive to buy, but you'd need to add on the data addon too I would reckon also if you want to use exchange email without burning a hole in your wallet.

I was due to pop to my local CPW as they had one, but other things came in the way :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Picked up an E71 this evening as due an Vodafone Upgrade

Certainly a better size than the E61

However having a strange problem in that I cannot get it to use isp.vodafone.ie nor hs.vodafone.ie as an APN

Same SIM works fine in E61 and HTC Diamond

Web works, but only using Vodafone Live APN

Originally thought I was going mad as couldnt get mail for exchange to connect, then realised it was the APN, as it worked fine using WiFi

Will ring Vodafone tomorrow, however just wondering if anyone else has the same Vodafone related problem?

I did delete the APN and recreate and have tried both isp. and hs.vodafone.ie and no app will connect using them (web, mail for exchange, map etc)

skearon wrote: »
    Picked up an E71 this evening as due an Vodafone Upgrade

Certainly a better size than the E61

However having a strange problem in that I cannot get it to use isp.vodafone.ie nor hs.vodafone.ie as an APN

Same SIM works fine in E61 and HTC Diamond

Web works, but only using Vodafone Live APN

Originally thought I was going mad as couldnt get mail for exchange to connect, then realised it was the APN, as it worked fine using WiFi

Will ring Vodafone tomorrow, however just wondering if anyone else has the same Vodafone related problem?

I did delete the APN and recreate and have tried both isp. and hs.vodafone.ie and no app will connect using them (web, mail for exchange, map etc)

Could be something on voda's side? I used to have the same problem with my e61 - ever so often only .live ap would work, and I'd have to ring c.c. so they set up sth...
    Have had my vodafone e71 for 5 days now, and all ap's work! In fact, gmail apps, opera mini, google maps and profimail all work fine with .live/isp/hs./wifi...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

CPW should have the e71 on all networks by now.

strecker wrote: »
    Could be something on voda's side? I used to have the same problem with my e61 - ever so often only .live ap would work, and I'd have to ring c.c. so they set up sth...
    Have had my vodafone e71 for 5 days now, and all ap's work! In fact, gmail apps, opera mini, google maps and profimail all work fine with .live/isp/hs./wifi...

Works perfectly this morning! Anyway very happy with phone so far

why did you choose e71 over e66?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Are these out on Meteor's PAYG?

nope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Has anyone managed to get Mail for Exchange working on the E71?

Took me a few attempts messing around with the settings to put the right things in the right options but it does now display a connected message, but then I get an "Error in exchange server" message and no other indication as to what may be wrong. I've seen a couple of old threads on the Nokia forums with people having the same issue but it didn't look as if they managed to fix the issue. I'm running the MfE2.7 client now rather than the 2.4(?) that came preinstalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I have MFE 2.7 working with exchange (mail2web). Works great. Are you connecting to your business server? If so what security is enabled? Could be a certificate problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is the companys mail server. I am able to get the certificates OK though and the MfE client breifly says that it is connected, then I get the "error in exchange server" message. It's exchange 2003 that they are running at the moment, but I just discovered that they are switching to 2007 in the next week or so, so I think I'll leave it for a bit and try again once they have done all the required messing around for that.

What is mail2web, is that for using exchange for a non-exchange email account?

does getting email notifications on receiving the email use data?

^ Yes, but not much if it's only set to download the headers.

Think I've got mine set to download the full emails on my gmail account at the moment but the data usage isn't an issue on Three.

ah ok, hmm i've been thinking of getting the e66/e71 but it just occured to me that the n series's are also high end.......

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get Mail for Exchange working on the E71?

Took me a few attempts messing around with the settings to put the right things in the right options but it does now display a connected message, but then I get an "Error in exchange server" message and no other indication as to what may be wrong. I've seen a couple of old threads on the Nokia forums with people having the same issue but it didn't look as if they managed to fix the issue. I'm running the MfE2.7 client now rather than the 2.4(?) that came preinstalled.

Have it running on my Vodafone E71, connecting to Exchange 2003 server without any problems.

Is this the first device you have tried to configure or are other S60 or WM devices working ok ?

It's the first device I've tried to connect, and most likely the first that anyone has tried to connect to this particular server or the IT guy would have known what I was asking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ash001

Has anyone used the GPS functionality on the E71? Would like to know your thoughts… Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I used it the other day to find and get to some place in Walkinstown. It was great. I use nokia maps instead of google maps as I have the turn by turn stuff enabled.

Doesn't appear to hit the battery too much either.
    Ash001 wrote: »
    Has anyone used the GPS functionality on the E71? Would like to know your thoughts… Thanks

The GPS seems to be pretty good on it. It seems to get an initial satelite fix a lot quicker than my Garmin 60csx manages, but it will loose the signal again if there is even a slight bit of cover overhead as it only has a minute ariels compared to my "real" GPS which can keep a signal quite well indoors.

Google maps for mobiles seems to have been updated quite a bit since I last used it though on another phone and will give directions itself as well now and although it won't talk to you it is free.

Ash001 wrote: »

Seems to work well, I prefare Garmin to built-in Nokia maps, but both work well

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

Ok so I can't get an upgrade from Meteor for this so i'm gonna have to go sim-free!! Where is the best place in Dublin to get one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

Got mine on 2/10, came home after an evening out 13/10 , took it out of my pocket and the screen has a small crack in the top right hand corner with the screen itself gone dark rendering it out of use, a total head wreck seeing that I was on holiday and needed to communicate with friends etc. I definitely didn't drop it, it was in my pocket all night in it's case and there are no marks on the case or the body of the phone.
    Do any of you guys got any experience of this happening to other phones? Cheers.

Matamoros wrote: »
    Got mine on 2/10, came home after an evening out 13/10 , took it out of my pocket and the screen has a small crack in the top right hand corner with the screen itself gone dark rendering it out of use, a total head wreck seeing that I was on holiday and needed to communicate with friends etc. I definitely didn't drop it, it was in my pocket all night in it's case and there are no marks on the case or the body of the phone.
    Do any of you guys got any experience of this happening to other phones? Cheers.

Are you sure?
    I've dropped mine a couple of times, and nuddin... It's really quite sturdy (bgr actually wrote they tried to break their review model and failed ;):lol: )
    Having said that, it seems the first batch had an issue with the screen cover being slightly misalligned...but I haven't heard of any self-destruct events ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

I brought it to Voda today and explained the situation and they are sending it away with my explanation of what I felt had happened, maybe a fee of 80 yo-yo to fix it, all I can say is that I took two flash photos with it and later that evening when I looked at it the LCD screen had a small crack in the corner and I couldn't see the display. Still, I love this phone but I was looking forward to learning all about it whilst on holiday. I'm not very tech aware but when it was upgrade time, comments like yours and others about this model helped make my decision. Cheers.

Advertisement