Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitten Found

Options
  • 01-10-2008 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just looking for a little advice. My son's friend found a little kitten at the side of the road today(in our estate)-they called to a number of houses to find out where it went missing from but had no luck...So I agreed to take it in, and wait and see is someone missing it.

To my untrained eye, I reckon he/she is about 6-7 weeks. A beautiful looking black and white kitten.

I'm just wondering, what next? Any lost/found sites I can post pictures on? Should I put up posters in the estate.

Also, what should I be giving the kitten-gave it some warm milk earlier and that was lapped up and some soaked dry kitten food.

We already have a tempermental cat who was not impressed with the new arrival(lots of hissing) and two dogs one of whom is calm enough but the other is a bit nutty!

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Perhaps some kind boardsie can adopt him and maybe he could become the official boadsie mascot ???

Best name for kitten get's free drink in BGRH bar and a weekend with bordsie of his / her choice

perhaps we'll just stick to free drink :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

If it's eye's a are blue he's under 6-weeks old if not then he's over 6 weeks, please do not give him milk, a lot are lactose intolerant, just give it the dry food and fresh water and some chicken or turkey once or twice a day, yes put up posters in the nieghbour hood a kitten dosen't travel far, it could be possible if you think he may not have been handled that their are more were he came from. Put up a photo if you can and I'll try to age him for you, and it might help people to see a photo of him to give him a home, I'd take him for you but I've just come through a bout of cat flu the vac's don't cover and I'm not 100% it's gone yet and won't put another cat at risk till I am.

But if you need any advise just post, if your in dublin I know a vet that wanted kittens from me as every one was looking for them so I could give you there no. as I can't let mine go just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

If nothing comes up i can foster, i'm a veterinary nurse and can also rehome when he/she is fit and ready.

Just pm and we can sort something!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hi-yes the eyes are blue. Thanks for the advice re the milk and feeding, should I get kitten milk? Will check out the lost and found sites and post something there. Will take a photo and post it up when I get a chance. I am lucky today as its my day off college so can try and sort something out.

I am in the cork area btw. I am willing to keep the kitten until it can be rehomed. Will post back soon with photo

Update-Think we know where the kitten came from. Girl who found kitten yesterday called this morning and reckons she was talking to a woman who owns a large number of cats. One of the cats had a litter. She has abbandoned the litter and is hissing at the kittens that come near her....(one of who is moo-moo(the name I've given kitten-cowlike colouring!)(I don't know WHY people don't neuter their cats esp when they have a large number of them). Will keep ye updated once I know more

I wouldn't bring the kitten back until you have spoken to the woman first, if a kitten is allowed to wonder around alone a that age by it's self then I would question it strongly, if you think she is not taking care of them hold on to the kitten, problem is were are the rest, if you can get hold of them and bring them to spca at leased they'll stand a better chance at a good home than left to be killed. Take mammy to if you can or in a few months you'll have more kittens wondering, I know it's all well said and still has to be done, but I hope you will.

As long as he is drinking and eating ok then don't worry about the kitten milk the whiskers is full of sugar and not good for them and I don't know any that like it anyway once they've tasted real milk. Some have recammended royal cannin kitten milk got from pet shops and vets, I've never had to use it yet so leave it up to your self an that one.

Fare play to you for taking him, if you put him under your jacket next to your heart you'll find he should love that and nod of if you think he's streessed in any way or just looking for comfort.

Ment to say the only thing my vet has ever recommended for flea's and such was frontline spray if you need it.

Keep us post on how you are getting on with him and the ejit that let them wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Update.
    The little girl who found the kitten has taken the kitten to her home. I'm happy that moomoo is not going back to "crazy cat lady". I'm not 100% sure that the kitten will be ok with this girls family but what could I say? I'm hoping I'll be proved wrong. Unfortunatley I could not have made my home moomoo's forever home anyway, but I was hoping to find a more suitable home.Don't want to go into the reasons here. My cat(who as I said is tempermental) was hissing and growling(!!) at the kitten. Big Dog was ok, but moomoo was rather taken with my bichon-yorkie cross and was following her everywhere and trying to suckle her(!)...sadly the love was not returned and I was afraid that the doggie would hurt it!

Anyway, fingers crossed that everything works out.....and its not a case of "oh what a lovely small kitten" and forgetting that kittens grow into cats. Twas an experience anyway and I'd gladly temporarily take care of an abandonded animal again!

Frae play to you for taking in rescue's and I hope thet moomoo will be ok.

Advertisement