Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT & Free Movement of Goods

Options
  • 01-10-2008 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

How do the government get away with charging VRT on cars imported from other EU Member States? Surely it would seem to contravene the free movement of goods provisions but I'm sure the government must have some loophole

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Doesn't stop you moving anything, you can bring 100 cars into the country and not pay vrt if you want. It's only using them on public roads you have to register them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Kelso wrote: »
    but I'm sure the government must have some loophole

Your quite free to bring a car in from another E.C. state, without having to pay an import tax. Thats the free movement part covered.

However, the government are entitled to charge a registration tax, or any other tax, without interference from the E.U. if they wish. Thats the loophole, if it can be called that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Kelso

Makes sense I guess. Kind of makes the EU provisions pointless though if you can't use it for it's proper purpose.
    I would have thought if a case was taken on these grounds there may be some chance of success but from d replies I guess not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Kelso wrote: »
    Makes sense I guess. Kind of makes the EU provisions pointless though if you can't use it for it's proper purpose.
    I would have thought if a case was taken on these grounds there may be some chance of success but from d replies I guess not

And its not just Ireland doing it, The Netherlands also has a registration tax called BPM, usually costs about 30% of the Open Market selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

craichoe wrote: »
    And its not just Ireland doing it, The Netherlands also has a registration tax called BPM, usually costs about 30% of the Open Market selling price.
    And Denmark has something similar too. It's very, very high for high-end stuff as well, something approaching 100% IIRC.

When I lived in Germany a Danish colleague of mine made a small fortune exploiting a loophole in the law at the time buying second-hand Porsche 944's, I think, in Germany, converting them to "vans" by removing the rear seats and blacking out the windows, importing them into Denmark paying less tax, and then converting them straight back on the other side and selling them on. The loophole only existed for a few weeks, but he made enough money to buy himself a new 928S!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds much like the cowboys here bringing in "commercial" X5's and then converting them back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stephen wrote: »
    Sounds much like the cowboys here bringing in "commercial" X5's and then converting them back.

Customs are all over that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Various VRT cases have been taken to Europe and failed.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meetdocs/2004_2009/documents/cm/536/536456/536456en.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

Stekelly wrote: »
    Doesn't stop you moving anything, you can bring 100 cars into the country and not pay vrt if you want. It's only using them on public roads you have to register them for.

Not true, you can only keep non-VRT'd vehicles if you are a dealer and have a TAN number.

Not true, you can only keep non-VRT'd vehicles if you are a dealer and have a TAN number.

Theres plenty of people in the country with non registered race cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Race cars are (supposedly) not driven on the public roads and therefore not subject to VRT!

kbannon wrote: »
    Race cars are (supposedly) not driven on the public roads and therefore not subject to VRT!

I no, same principal as bringing in a car and keeping it on private land. cmon kbannon, read the thread and keep up. :)

Advertisement