Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got about 800 books to shift

Options
  • 02-10-2008 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

hi all,

don't have room for my books where i'm staying and my parents are asking me to remove them from their house so i need to find a home for about 800 books. Usual assortment Fantasy (eddings, jordan etc), Fiction (ellroy, clancy etc) and some biogs.

I'm based on the northside of dublin and would like to sell as many as possible to any second hand shops that will take some of these and give the rest away to charity.

can anyone recommend some second hand shops that might be interested in some of these and a charity shop that might take the rest?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Chapters, Parnell St. and the Oxfam shop in Temple Bar, respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭romperstomper

erm, i was really hoping for somewhere not city centre. the weight of these books (currently in 7 suitcases & nylon sacks) is immense and parking in the loading bay area in either establishment will be impossible.

anywhere where i can park easily?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

Are they in good condition? You should ring up your local oxfamy place but I doubt they'll give you money for them. You could try and sell them on adverts.ie if you like bundle them together etc. but it would take a while and you wouldn't make much money.

You should try and give them away.

i figure i'll wind up giving away over 3/4 of them but wouldn't mind making even a euro a book on the rest. and they are all in excellent condition. adverts would be ok if I was in no hurry to shift them, unfortunately my parents want the space that they take up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Might be surprised how quickly books can disappear once they are listed on the boards. Don't think I've ever sold a book on though, kinda weird, giving books away more the norm.

• Advertisement

if i was REALLY stuck i suppose i could put them in the green bin. can no one tell me a 2nd hand store / charity shop (that takes books) outside of city centre???

if i was REALLY stuck i suppose i could put them in the green bin. can no one tell me a 2nd hand store / charity shop (that takes books) outside of city centre???

hi if u have any philip k dick books or music biogs i will buy if u r willing to post. let me know what u have:confused:

sorry i don't have but TBH besides ones where i can 10 or more by (clancy, edding, jordan, ellroy), I would be hard pushed to come up with a list off the top of my head. I was REALLY hoping not to have to catalogue them all (for probably no payout)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭theboytaylor

There are plenty of Oxfam shops outside of Dublin city centre:

http://www.oxfamireland.org/shops/shops-list.shtml

As for selling the books, there are second-hand book markets out in Howth
    every weekend/fortnight, the one I know of is in a little old schoolhouse looking building about 200 metres up from The Bloody Stream, maybe have a word with them?

Thinking about it now. Maybe you could ring Oxfam (Or indeed Chapters) and ask for them to collect the books, pretty sure I have seen vans belonging to them driving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

anywhere where i can park easily?
    Same boat as you - I normally unload my unwanted paperbacks in the St.Vincent de Paul in Kilbarrack because of the handy car park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I found chapters offer very poor prices! I've used bookshops in dundrum and dun laoghaire that gave fair prices but they're probably too far. I've sold a load of books on boards and got fair prices that way too. You might want to insist on collection only if you don't know the buyer and don't want to be lugging piles of books around for nothing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

IMO, it would be worth listing them up on adverts.ie. If you have 800 books, you should be able to list them in an evening (although a relatively boring one:p). You should get well over a €1000. Not bad for a nights work!

You can specify that people have to take a min of five books. With 800 books people would undoutably be able to find 5 that they like. I recently picked up an Ellroy book for €5 in a second hand shop, so five books for €15-20 would be good value for everyone...and book shops probably won't give you more than €1-2.

I understand why you'd want to just get rid of them in place though...a lot less hassle.....but just think of the recession:D

rosboy, reckon you might be right, but i don't think the FS books section of adverts is all that busy (ie i could be trying to shift half the books there in 6 months time). is the broke & stolen a good place to shift books (i'm HAPPY to sell @ €1, 2, 3 per book)

rosboy, reckon you might be right, but i don't think the FS books section of adverts is all that busy (ie i could be trying to shift half the books there in 6 months time). is the broke & stolen a good place to shift books (i'm HAPPY to sell @ €1, 2, 3 per book)

"broke & stolen"? Are you referring to a section on Adverts? Haven't seen it before, so can't comment on it (unfortunately adverts is down at the moment for maintenance so I can't check it out). To be fair, once you have this thread up near the top of the literature forum you should have pretty good exposure for your ad.

I'd be interested in some of your Ellroy books definitely, but unfortunately I'm in Limerick and I don't know if (a) you'd be intersted in posting or (b) it would make sense from a point of view of cost to post them.

rosboy, my apologies i didn't realise that not everyone referred to it as such.

the 'broke & stolen' is the buy and sell paper and website in dublin parlance :)

while posting books that i'm only selling for a few euro each mightn't make too much sense, most people find themselves in dublin sooner or later (flights etc) or i'd be happy to drop books off to friends/relatives

rosboy, my apologies i didn't realise that not everyone referred to it as such.

the 'broke & stolen' is the buy and sell paper and website in dublin parlance :)

while posting books that i'm only selling for a few euro each mightn't make too much sense, most people find themselves in dublin sooner or later (flights etc) or i'd be happy to drop books off to friends/relatives

The Dublin eloquence of "broke & stolen" went over the head of a simple culchie like me:P.

The draw back of the buy and sell is that you wouldn't be able to list the books you have. You'd have to get people to come a dig throughthe books to fins something they like, or get them to ask if you have particular books. The benefit of something like adverts.ie is that you can list all the books and people can come to you with an exact list of what they are interested in.

Let me know if you decide to catalogue your books and put them up for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

EBAY!

I love buying books on e-bay, but it might be too much hassle for you. It's just a suggestion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

You should try advertise them on Adverts definitely. Even if you don't catalogue them. Just mention the genres and some authors. I sold 130 books on there about 2 years ago & got €125 for them. Someone took them all, possibly to sell on, but I was happy to just get rid of them & make some money back. Another place would be Gumtree.ie.

Advertisement