Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Want to change....but how?

Options
  • 02-10-2008 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

.....o.k., here's the story, short version.

I want to change the car - 06 Saab 9-3 1.9Tid 150bhp estate. Reason ? We bought in an emergency earlier in the year, being (remarkably) transport less at the time.

However, we've now sorted all that, and the Saab has been unused for most of 2 months. Sensibly, we've now thought it's a waste of money, paying that much for a car that's done that little - 4k kms since beginning of March.

In the current climate, though, car's ain't selling. And, being the (fickle :rolleyes:) person that I am, I still want to change it, so........I had me an idea !

Trade it (down) for something else - maybe even something else that someone else can't shift. I just missed the opportunity to do just that for an MX-5 inside the last few days...........so I thought about it..........but where to go ?

Carzone, etc, ...isn't really a suitable arena, as it's a selling site only. Wonder if our resident 'carlist' guy on here is reading..........how about a 'p/ex' or 'trade in' option on the menu ?

Thing's I'd consider to get, which have the advantage, maybe, of being difficult to shift at the moment:
    Saab 9-5 2.0 LPT auto
    Saab 9-5 2.3 HOT
    Saab 9-3 2.0 auto
    W210 E200K or 230K
    C Class coupe, pref Sport Kompressor, or similar...
    Alfa GT 2.0

..or something else not-quite-sought-after, aka, 'interesting'...

Everything has to have leather. Preferably auto.

So, ideas?

I think there's an opening in these times for a more flexible car-change mechanism than the tired sell-and-then-buy, one.

Anyone ??

EDIT 2nd Oct: After some 'frank in-house discussions with the CEO , I have to amend the wish list......car must have 3 rear seat belts........something to do with being able to bring kids to Irish Dancing yada yada yada......which knocks the C-Class coupe and GTV out........but not the GT !.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately I just want rid if my car though, I don't want a replacement. Still, for most people it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...thanks, I hadn't heard of that one - must have been the quietest launch, ever !

Well, added mine anyway HERE , but you have to advertise separately to find a car, so I've done that as well - here's hoping something meets in the middle !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Great idea, except for the "Everything has to have leather" comment. That baffles me about Irish buyers more than most things. Anyhooo, tis your choice. Alfa's and petrol Saabs are the most obvious choices for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi,

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news: but your car is probably over priced in the current market. I am selling a similar 2006 Saab Estate for a lot less money with only 19950 miles. Yours with above 67,000 miles would be worth less than you might think off any trade-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,449 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

galwaytt wrote: »
    Trade it (down) for something else - maybe even something else that someone else can't shift.

Good idea! Maybe pm one of the adverts.ie mods to suggest a "cars for swap" section?

That cartrades site doesn't work. There is no distinction between cars for sale and cars for swap and no one is gonna browse all ads to see if someone is willing to swap

Biro wrote: »
    except for the "Everything has to have leather" comment. That baffles me

Two words: small kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

unkel wrote: »
    Two words: small kids

Puked-up baby milk. Frubes. Lollipops. Nappy leaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

.....o.k., here's the story, short version.

I want to change the car - 06 Saab 9-3 1.9Tid 150bhp estate. Reason ? We bought in an emergency earlier in the year, being (remarkably) transport less at the time.

However, we've now sorted all that, and the Saab has been unused for most of 2 months. Sensibly, we've now thought it's a waste of money, paying that much for a car that's done that little - 4k kms since beginning of March.

In the current climate, though, car's ain't selling. And, being the (fickle :rolleyes:) person that I am, I still want to change it, so........I had me an idea !

Trade it (down) for something else - maybe even something else that someone else can't shift. I just missed the opportunity to do just that for an MX-5 inside the last few days...........so I thought about it..........but where to go ?

Carzone, etc, ...isn't really a suitable arena, as it's a selling site only. Wonder if our resident 'carlist' guy on here is reading..........how about a 'p/ex' or 'trade in' option on the menu ?

Thing's I'd consider to get, which have the advantage, maybe, of being difficult to shift at the moment:
    Saab 9-5 2.0 LPT auto
    Saab 9-5 2.3 HOT
    Saab 9-3 2.0 auto
    W210 E200K or 230K
    C Class coupe, pref Sport Kompressor, or similar...
    Alfa GT 2.0

Everything has to have leather. Preferably auto.

So, ideas?

I think there's an opening in these times for a more flexible car-change mechanism than the tired sell-and-then-buy, one.

Anyone ??

EDIT 2nd Oct: After some 'frank in-house discussions with the CEO , I have to amend the wish list......car must have 3 rear seat belts........something to do with being able to bring kids to Irish Dancing yada yada yada......which knocks the C-Class coupe and GTV out........but not the GT !.....

i just did some pricing around and shock horror, was offered 20k and 24k from different places for my car as trade in!

cars on dealers forecourts are way overpriced, and they are offering ****e trade in values,,feck them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

could you expand on the above please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Zube wrote: »
    Puked-up baby milk. Frubes. Lollipops. Nappy leaks.

Ah ya, makes more sense now alright. That's fair enough.
    When I was selling my Celica the two first callers both asked as the very first question "Has it got leather seats?" to which I replied no, then they said "OK" and that was it. End of conversation. In that case they weren't interesed in baby protection. It baffled me, because the leather in the Celicas is so shyte and plasticy that I deliberately bought one with cloth trim. It's just that "Ya... my car's great... 'sgot leather 'n all in it!" thing that half the population have that bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Alfa GT 2.0

....you know you want too!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Ah ya, makes more sense now alright. That's fair enough.
    When I was selling my Celica the two first callers both asked as the very first question "Has it got leather seats?" to which I replied no, then they said "OK" and that was it. End of conversation. In that case they weren't interesed in baby protection. It baffled me, because the leather in the Celicas is so shyte and plasticy that I deliberately bought one with cloth trim. It's just that "Ya... my car's great... 'sgot leather 'n all in it!" thing that half the population have that bugs me.

Personally I hate leather. It makes my clothes shiny. Also, nothing ages a car more than cracked up leather.

I have half leather seats in my 940 - and with 115,000 miles on them they *genuinely* look as good as the day I got it. Will always try for half leather in the future. Also - they don't get so hot like full leather and its lack of ventilation which leaves me sticking to the seats!!

Half Leather! Yeh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea. Unfortunately I just want rid if my car though, I don't want a replacement. Still, for most people it might work.

Which one?

Not the Scooby surely?

pburns wrote: »
    Which one?

Not the Scooby surely?
    No, the Forester's like a doggy - it's for keeps. Seriously though, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to still have that car in ten or more years time. The Porsche, though, has to go.

The Porsche, though, has to go.

What (if anything) are you planning to replace it with?

What (if anything) are you planning to replace it with?
    Food on the table, unkel, food on the table.;)

That's a lot of food :D

Car-dealer wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news: but your car is probably over priced in the current market. I am selling a similar 2006 Saab Estate for a lot less money with only 19950 miles. Yours with above 67,000 miles would be worth less than you might think off any trade-in.

Sorry, mileage is not 67k miles, it's kilometres .....whatever you think about the price, it's not that far out - what model/spec is yours, and what are you asking ?

I've done a quick spot-check, and my asking isn't unreasonable - it's a € 49k car, new..........

[EDIT]Judging by the multiple ones you're selling, I'm presuming they're ex-fleet, ex-rental or similar. And they're not the same spec as the one I'm selling, the 150bhp Vector Sport.

Ode To The Motorist

Great idea, except for the "Everything has to have leather" comment. That baffles me about Irish buyers more than most things. Anyhooo, tis your choice. Alfa's and petrol Saabs are the most obvious choices for sure.

Because cloth gets too tatty, too easy, and is too hard to keep stain-free. As mentioned, kids, etc.

And leather only crazes/cracks if not maintained, so that's not an issue for me.

Besides, I like the smell !

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Gypo

You can do it - Put your back into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cartrades

Hi guys, my mate told me about these comments, so just to clarify some things about our site -

You don't need to be looking for a replacement, thats an option. You can still put your car on it as per normal.
    ...thanks, I hadn't heard of that one - must have been the quietest launch, ever !

Well, added mine anyway HERE , but you have to advertise separately to find a car, so I've done that as well - here's hoping something meets in the middle !

To be honest we're just in pilot doing some research, tweaking how it works etc. early enough days yet so we haven't launched fully. You don't need to advertise seperately, you can put your exising car and new car up in one action (or in seperate actions - this enables you to have multiple cars for sale and multiple cars you want).
    That cartrades site doesn't work. There is no distinction between cars for sale and cars for swap and no one is gonna browse all ads to see if someone is willing to swap

If you log in (you need to register first), you can then search for cars that are for sale (and see what that person if looking to buy - if any), or you can search what cars people are looking for and what they are selling/trading. This way you could see if anyone was interested in a car like yours. The user homepage also does this matching for you when you ad your car, i.e. it automatically matches what you have for sale with cars others are looking for.

It would be very rare to find an exact swap as such but this site allow people to see what other have and want. That way trading up/down, swapping etc. is made easier.

Anyway, just clarifying those few things, all comments welcome!
    cheers.

Advertisement