Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Day Out 2009!!!

Options
  • 02-10-2008 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

The first lot of acts have just been announced and there's some good ones -

Neil Young
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Prodigy
    The Living End
    My Morning Jacket
    Sneaky Sound System
    Bullet For My Valentine
    Birds of Tokyo
    The Ting Tings (Ugh :mad:)
    The Datsuns (Remember them?!)

Not the biggest Neil Young fan by any means so not too excited about him headlining but it'll be good to see the Monkeys and the Prodigy.

Dates -

AUCKLAND - Fri, Jan 16
    GOLD COAST - Sun, Jan 18
    SYDNEY - Fri, Jan 23
    MELBOURNE - Mon, Jan 26
    ADELAIDE - Friday, Jan 30
    PERTH - Sunday, Feb 1

Tickets on Sale -
    SYDNEY - Wed, Oct 8
    GOLD COAST - Thurs 9th, Oct 9
    AUCKLAND, MELBOURNE, ADELAIDE & PERTH - Fri, Oct 10

http://www.bigdayout.com/home.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The first lot of acts have just been announced and there's some good ones -

Neil Young - Yep
    Arctic Monkeys - Not a fan
    The Prodigy - Hell yeah!
    The Living End - WHO?
    My Morning Jacket - WHO?
    Sneaky Sound System - I DETEST THESE C**TS
    Bullet For My Valentine - Summit for the children i guess
    Birds of Tokyo - WHO?
    The Ting Tings - WHO?
    The Datsuns (Remember them?!) - Yes but only the name

Not the biggest Neil Young fan by any means -. Likewise but hes a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The Living End are a renowned and much loved Aussie band. Real legends over here. They have some pretty good tunes (check out their latest single 'White Noise', it's quite catchy).

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The Living End are a renowned and much loved Aussie band. Real legends over here. They have some pretty good tunes (check out their latest single 'White Noise', it's quite catchy).

Ah, are they the lads who live in St Kildas?

Got I love the boards front page, helps me find forums I wasnt previously aware of!

Prodigy live = epic win

The Datsuns are bastards! i saw them a few years ago and they didn;t play "In Love"... boo urns.

Bullet are good fun live. I find their sound a bit weak though. I likes me metal THICK!

Xavi will ya bottle the Ting tings for me? Ya know, for crimes against my ears.

Ha ha yeah I'm sure I could lash something at the Ting Tings. A serious contender for worst band ever.

Prodigy should be headlining the dance stage which will be quality.

More acts tba so no doubt the lineup will only get stronger

@ brendansmith - haven't a clue where they're from but they've been around years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I'm there! Nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

This seems pretty cool, cheers Xavi. Checked there and tickets are $139.50. Not on sale until the 10th Oct.

Cut Copy are also playing, they're pretty good.
    As is Tiki Taane, NZ dude. And for anyone thinking of the NZ show, the Black Seeds are really good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

God what a CRAP lineup, barring Neil Young, who most of the muppets going to this wont appreciate anyway. Tiki Taane - an idiot wannabe black rapper who just happens to be maori! Almost as bad as Scribe! How can anyone like the Artic Monkeys? Am I too old or does it just sound like really sh*tty distorted noise to everyone else too?

I think you're just too old! :p

Seriously though, the first Monkeys album is feckin quality. It was different to most of the generic crap and considering they were only 18 at the time it was very, very good. One of those bands I've wanted to see, and at least at a festival they won't playin any idle fillers.

they seriously make me feel ill when I hear them. I think the prodigy are awful live aswell, just Keith and the black dude shouting into the microphones. Really bad shouting at that. They should just let Liam play a DJ set or something, it'd sound a lot better.

• Advertisement

Xavi did you go to that Park Life thing? I can see them deconstructing the tents outside my office window right now. I might go to Global Gathering. And what's with the weather, worst bloody weather in Australia today, it's 24c and sunny in Melb, and 33c and sunny in Sydney ffs!!!

Nah Park Life isn't really my scene tbh. Same goes for Summadayze.

Not much on Global Gathering that would appeal to me either. Mark Ronson is a twat. ATB would be quality though.

Southbound looks ok with Franz Ferdinand, The Hives and The Kooks. Doubt I'll go though. Chances are I'll probably just do the BDO and then some solo gigs. Considering Supergrass next week and I've got tickets for Slipknot at the end of the month.

Tis all money, money, money.

As for the weather, last weekend was great! I hit the beach on sunday arvo. It'll be like that all the time by the end of the month.

Jeez, I think someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!;)

Neil Young is class
    Prodigy I don't like at all.
    Arctic Monkeys are one of the best and most original rock bands in many years.
    Tiki does have a few bad songs, but he also has some great ones-Always on my Mind is in no way a black rapper song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Bah, was talking to someone last week and they garaunteed to me Kings of Leon would be headlining, "no really they are, my cousin works in the booking office", bitch. Ahh well maybe they are just waiting till later to announce it, hopefully. Decent enough line-up though. Wouldn't mind seeing the Arctic Monkeys live, they were way over hyped/rated when they came on the scene but still a decent band with good songs.

I heard Parklife wasn't that great (apart from Soul Wax), but it's one of those things ye really have to be full of drugs for, went down to it on crutches (hint: sometimes walls are low on one side with a much higher drop on the other) and tried to jump the gates with a few people from the hostel (every ten seconds down there there were scores of people making dashes over the fence, it was like an all out assault from a WWI battle with everyone going over the tops of the trenches, don't know how they manage to turn a profit at it), made it over the first then my leg gave out on me. Did get some free first aid from the hot paramedic girl though, so it wasn't a total loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The lineup always seems to be average. Couple of big names, but never really amazing. This will the 3rd Big Day out since I came here, and to be honest and not really interested in going.
    Apart from the whole festival feel and fun, the music line up isn't really drawing me in.

Yeah I'd agree with that alright. Apart from the Monkey and the Prodigy there's not a lot to get excited about.

Neil Young headlining is gonna turn a lot of young people off. I'm hoping some good ones get named in the second round of announcements. It's my third one as well and I'll definitely go, though it won't be as good as Muse in 2007 and RATM this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

aww, would love to go. no one band that makes me go 'wow, i NEED a ticket', but quite a few i'd have liked to see, but never quite have the overpriced ticket's worth to see them by themselves.

unfortunately, if it was three months later, i could go... but not at the date it's at... not counting hte return plane flights and that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hmm, I also heard Kings of Leon were playing. My OH is a big fan.

We had planned on going, just because he's always wanted to a never did and it'll be my first summer in NZ. The Arctic monkeys would be good but not sure of anyone else. I'm getting old and don't recognise a lot of bands these days. Tiki Taane - I'd like to see and my OH was just at a black seeds concert last week so he might be up for that.

When he wakes up (he's currently lying hungover next to me) I'll have to see is he up for it. I'd like to go for the experience more than the music, tbh.

Sydney and Gold Coast both sold out already.

Just got my Perth ticket.

Sydney and Gold Coast both sold out already.

Just got my Perth ticket.

****, the Auckland ones went on sale today too. Bet they're sold out.

/ runs off to check

I booked a holiday to Vanuatu today so I can't afford them now anyway!

• Advertisement

Why the fu(k does anyone give a sh!t.

The acts are soooo poor!

watna wrote: »
    I booked a holiday to Vanuatu today so I can't afford them now anyway!

I'm headin there too! When have you booked it for?

I'm headin there too! When have you booked it for?

Going in February for 4 nights. We got quite a good deal. Flights, accomodation in a posh 4 star place with an adult only policy (my most important thing for a relaxing tropical holiday) and meals included for $999 each. (That's €500 each).

Can't wait! I'll let you know how I get on when we're back so you know what to expect when you go.

Bf is pushing for us to get big day out tickets now too - I just mentioned it to him. Not sure if I can spend any more money today!

FFS I've just read that Neil Young is going to be playing a 90 minute set at the BDO. Talk about a snooze fest. Just let him play his own feckin gig and stop eating into our festival time!

Not happy at all.

Yeah but he's a legend
    Plus you'll have the Arctic Monkeys earlier in the day to rock out to.

But 90 minutes!!! Come on now. RATM barely got an hour last year and I know which would interest a young crowd more.

anyone check out V festivakl yet?
    Killers
    Snow Patrol
    Kaiser Chiefs

I seen them all last year .. though avg at best albums for Killers & Kaiser (worst lyrics in world), but they were all pretty good live

(maybe cause I just like live gigs)

I've seen The Killers three times so can't see myself forking out for them again, especially considering the new material I've heard.

IMO Snow Patrol suck live. Lightbody just can't sing! Haven't seen Kaiser Chiefs.

If you haven't seen any of the three bands then it's worth going to but I'm gonna keep my money for Kings of Leon in March.

I've seen The Killers three times so can't see myself forking out for them again, especially considering the new material I've heard.

IMO Snow Patrol suck live. Lightbody just can't sing! Haven't seen Kaiser Chiefs.

If you haven't seen any of the three bands then it's worth going to but I'm gonna keep my money for Kings of Leon in March.

I seen snow patrol last night, they played a very very small venue (maybe like olympia) and thought he was excellent - I seen them in a big arena and agree he wasn't the mai west at all

I tired to get pre-sale for KoL, but they were gone by the time I got back from meeting the pre-sale ended .... guess just wait for the main tix to go on sale

and I'm counting on 2nd/3rd gigs as there is 4 days between the sydney and newcastle show!

• Advertisement

Yeah it was at the festivalthatcannotbenamed that I saw Snow Patrol and everyone seemed let down.

I better get a Kings of Leon ticket! The gig is being played literally 5 minutes from my apartment.

KOL.jpg

Advertisement