Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Day Out 2009!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Xavi6 wrote: »
    FFS I've just read that Neil Young is going to be playing a 90 minute set at the BDO. Talk about a snooze fest...
    Gotta agree even though I actually like quite a few of his songs. The thing about him and Bob Dylan imo is that they sound really monotone and it only takes the slightest push before they cross over that line and start boring you to tears.

I think the only one of the acts I would get excited about is Prodigy. The rest are a bit ho hum. Are Snow Patrol from Ireland btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Yep, Snow Patrol are from Co. Down I think? I think the lineup is alright. I like Neil Youngs' songs but other bands seem to be able to cover his songs better than he can play them. He does seem very boring though as the main act. I don't know many of the smaller bands, I've seen Prodigy and Arctic Monkeys so I doubt I'll be headin. Are any of the smaller acts any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

They're from the UK (they're from Northern Ireland!) But the Irish like to claim them as our own.
    I personally think they're crap, so I'm happy for them to be Brittish.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

3 of the band are from the north and the other 2 are Scottish. They met in Scotland while in college, did all their early gigging in Scotland and did all their early recording in Scotland. So if anything they could be deemed as a Scottish band, a bit like Franz Ferdinand.

$142 to go see Coldplay!!! :eek: Shove it up your hole Mr. Martin.

Got my Kings of Leon ticket today \o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

$142 to go see Coldplay!!! :eek: Shove it up your hole Mr. Martin.

Got my Kings of Leon ticket today \o/

140 standing for coldplay no thanks
    got my kings of Leon too! Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

$150 for standing tickets to iron maiden :eek:

Brucie has to fill that plane's fuel tank somehow!

also... since when were the standing tickets the expensive ones?! was it just my memory, or were standing tickets back home the cheaper ones?

Was gonna get tics to King of Leon, but I saw them just before I left Dublin.
    Going to Nouvelle Vague next week.

Swell Season is playing the Palais in St. Kilda (in February i think). Thinking of going but I know now it'll be full of muckers in Mayo jerseys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I got an email from ticketek today. They're selling Kanye West tickets for two for the price of one. Guess the tickets aren't selling very well!

I'm a bit tempted now though. I've heard he's good live.

it's embarassing enough that ive seen fiddy and justin timberlake live. not even 2 for the price of 1 could persuade me to see kanye.

Kanye>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fiddy (and justin)

can't generally stand him, tbh. anyway, iron maiden are more to my scene, and im saving up so's i can actually fly to auckland for a band i actually like (already has to miss so many), it's awful having lived so close to dublin and all the bands/festivals i wanted to see both there an europe to everything suddenly getting so isolated and away from all music.

$150 for standing tickets to iron maiden :eek:
    Who the hell still listens to Iron Maiden? Weren't they around when Status Quo were guitar hero's??

:D

also... since when were the standing tickets the expensive ones?! was it just my memory, or were standing tickets back home the cheaper ones?

I just checked out the irish site, KoL = 49.70euro standing
    I paid 90 for the oz

Coldplay cheapest tickets 55euro
    and oz $110

So I guess the same price

hussey wrote: »
    I paid 90 for the oz

and oz $110

but you don't earn nearly as much as you do at home. That's the one main thing that písses me off about NZ. e.g cinema ticket is $15 which is €7.50 - so roughly what it is at home but you earn less - so it actually costs more for entertainment. Gig tickets shouldn't be the same price as they are in Ireland - they should be in line with salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Standing tickets always go faster for the rock bands, its far more fun to be down in amongst it. They have risen the price now to cover it, supply and demand.
    I couldnt get standing tickets to Metallica when they came to Sydney years back, had to get seated and it was nowhere as good.

watna wrote: »
    but you don't earn nearly as much as you do at home. That's the one main thing that písses me off about NZ. e.g cinema ticket is $15 which is €7.50 - so roughly what it is at home but you earn less - so it actually costs more for entertainment. Gig tickets shouldn't be the same price as they are in Ireland - they should be in line with salaries.

Do you not think so? I'm not so sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Flairpinnedme

i cant remember the last time cinema tickets were 7.50 in ireland!

• Advertisement

*sniggers*

*remembers watna is mod ...

Ehhh sure yeah less money here .. *sniggers*

dSTAR wrote: »
    Who the hell still listens to Iron Maiden? Weren't they around when Status Quo were guitar hero's??

:D

well they didnt come to christchurch then... were supposed to in, i think, '84, but cancelled. so this'll be their first time here. it's a matter of principal really.
    hussey wrote: »
    I paid 90 for the oz

and oz $110

yeah, but the standing tickets at home are always the cheapest, whereas here they're the most expensive.
    Jumpy wrote: »
    Standing tickets always go faster for the rock bands, its far more fun to be down in amongst it. They have risen the price now to cover it, supply and demand.
    I couldnt get standing tickets to Metallica when they came to Sydney years back, had to get seated and it was nowhere as good.
    oh tell me about it, i know it's more fun standing. specially for a band like maiden. i just can't believe it's costing me $300 for two tickets.

oh, and guys, don't forget watna's in nz... dollar here's worth less than the ozzy one.

oh, and guys, don't forget watna's in nz... dollar here's worth less than the ozzy one.

Got it in one.

Salaries in Oz = Good
    Salaries in NZ = shocking

Minimum wage works out here as e4.76.... and you're suppose to be able to afford to spend $110 on a gig ticket?

Luckily I don't earn anything like minmum wage but I still earn less than I did at home - and I'm considered not on a bad wage by NZ standards.

i cant remember the last time cinema tickets were 7.50 in ireland!

I said roughly. The last I remember payiny was e8.50.

im a dollar above min wage here... next to no disposable income, and im in pretty average housing... which, as ive mentioned before, includes no heat, insulation, and is prone to mould. though moving tomorrow, which id be more excited about if i thought i'd actually still be living there in a month's tim.e

Line up confirmed for Rock-It 10 in Perth -

Kings of Leon :D:D
    The Fratellis :mad:
    The Music :D
    Birds of Tokyo :D
    Faker :D
    The Stills :confused:
    Sparkadia :confused:
    Sugar Army :D

Excellent line up overall, though The Fratellis are crap. Dyin to see The Music, especially if they play all the early stuff.

Sugar Army are an excellent prospect. Saw them support Interpol and they were very impressive.

So did anyone go to the BDO?

Went yesterday myself and had a great time, even though it was absolutely scorching. The Prodigy were feckin brilliant, and apparently no one went to see Neil Young in comparison. Absolutely crazy that The Prodigy had to play in the smaller Boiler Room considering the size of the crowd.

Arctic Monkeys put on a solid show, but left out some of their better songs ('Mardy Bum' in particular :mad:). Lupe Fiasco was good, as were Pendulum, Birds of Tokyo and Children Collide. Serj Tankian is just a feckin looper.

All in a good day's music. Feckin knackered today!

Sadly, one (very stupid) girl died yesterday following an OD -

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=77&ContentID=122435

All in a good day's music. Feckin knackered today!

Sadly, one (very stupid) girl died yesterday following an OD -
    My days of being able to hack 12 hours of music and scorching weather are definitely over.

Shame to read about a teenager dying. She was only a kid afterall and like a lot of kids that age was probably not aware of the consequences of dabbling with Class A drugs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement