Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not smoking is a load of balls

Options
  • 02-10-2008 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

i only gave up 24hrs ago and already i want to go back on them....
    how long does the strong cravings last for
    i have been smokin for 8 years...30 a day for 3 years
    the budget is coming soon and no way am i paying 9euro for 20 blue!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Hi, well done for giving up. Best advice i can give you is firstly check out stopsmoking.ie and put in the date you gave up and time etc so you can keep checking how well you are doing and how much you saved. Drink loads of water and most importantly i think is get up off the couch and exercise!! After many failed attempts, the one different thing i have done this time is join a gym and i am going every night to keep me off the couch and to keep me thinking of fags! obviously i wont always keep up 7 nights a week but i really think its getting me over the initial cravings. Day 10 for me today and feel great.

Try your best with it its worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

I agree its very tough but I am on day two and woke up with no foul taste of fags in my mouth... I have a long way to go but do feel "Cleaner"!
    I'm keeping busy... keeping away from tv til late as possible.. keep reading motivational Quit smoking stuff.. good idea to print out pointers and advantages and each time you feel weak take a look at the list.. It is hard but not impossible.. Allen Carr book is also good for keeping you motivated.. Good Luck Monty!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Someone on here recommended "break the chains" by Mark Jordan. you can download it free online. i found it very helpful, much more so than allan carr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Don't stop now!!! in the first 24 hrs since giving up you have HALVED the possible chances of a heart attack......worth it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

sorry to dissappoint but im back on them!!!! :o im so weak !!!
    but im going to try again on monday and hopefully this time ill last longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I this is going to sound stupid to some people but I believe it all to do with your own thoughts. if you start off thinking "im am finding it so hard to give up, I will never be able to stay off them" then, you wont succeed. like when someone asks you how are you getting on without the fags you say stuff like oh god its terrible I want one right now... instead try to keep saying positive thoughts.. say to people "gee its not as hard as I thought and I feel so much better" It really does work. My daughter had tried several times to give up until a friend gave her that tip and now she is off them 5 yrs!!! and never thinks of them now.
    good luck.. stay strong. YOU CAN DO IT.. ITS EASY.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

instead of being a perfarer of doom think positive and instead of saying it's a load of blah blah blah, think positive and when you want to give up you will,
    not when someone tell's you, you should but when you tell yourself you can you will.

Advertisement