Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maybe it's time to buy a bike...

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

It's test time again, but of course there's more trouble for me...

Here's my "test life"

1st test (2005, RSA) - Was only driving my own car for 2 weeks, came out with 9 blues, was happy with that after only 2 weeks to be honest.

2nd test (2006) - I think I was part of a comedy tv show, tester turned up 20 minutes late, wasn't wearing the high vis, was still eating his lunch when he called me, skipped all technical checks, the drive lasted 5 minutes, and he managed to give me 16 blues during this, even ones for roundabouts, I didn't even drive on one. I made a few complaints about this one but never got a reply, but later found out this guy was fired.

3rd test (2008, SGS)
    - I had an abscess the size of a tennis ball in my jaw, but still turned up for it, the tester tried to get me to call it off, but I was willing to give it a go and ignore the pain. This test was going brilliant, with only the odd blue, but then the abscess sent a jolt of pain down my neck and I took a corner to tight, maybe it was only a blue offence, but I got a pink for it. Didn't think much of it, I just wanted to finish and go to the dentisis.

Now, time for number 4
    (2008, SGS)
    I got my letter from SGS the other day, to arrange a date, that's all well and good, until the radiator in my car decides to let me know it's had enough of these driving tests and dies. With a cost of nearly €400 to fix that I got my hands on a 01 golf on loan for now, insurance and tax is all sorted on it. But no NCT, and the NCT crowd are telling me it will be up to 6 weeks to get a test with them. And on top of that, this car needs a bit of work to pass an NCT. So basically I think I'm going to have to ring SGS and pick some far away date like the end of November and sort out either car to do the test in.

Back to my point, I think it would be easier to buy a bike! (and I'd be playing my part with the global warming too!) Thank god my provisional isn't out until Feb '09 (or is it 08??, only messin)

Anyone else have any horror stories to share? I'd love to hear them, make me feel less alone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cassie1

Sorry for all your troubles. I passed my test but my instructors husband was a tester with SGS up to recently and is instructing now. He was testing north and southside but he might be able to answer some questions about the tests. where are you doing this test? I'll PM you his details

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Cassie1 wrote: »
    He was testing north and southside
    North and southside of where? ;)

Cassie1 wrote:
    where are you doing this test?
    Probably Kilkenny! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Cassie1

Sorry, my mistake. He's in Dublin but I'm sure he'd answer any questions regardless of where they come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Probably Kilkenny! ;)

Got it in one! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the NCT crowd in Kilkenny are a joke - 5 weeks I was told but try the one in Waterford you might get luck and have it on a few days - post on the Kilkenny forum about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A bike will take more maintenance than a car, though maintenance is cheaper. Your insurance will be very high compared to what you're paying on your car; Even on a small bike, and assuming that you're under 25, you could be paying anything up €2k third-party on a 125cc bike.

Talk to the driving schools and see if you can get a loaner for your test from them. They'll be in good condition, with all discs intact and you should get a pretest as part of the cost beforehand which might ease any nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

seamus wrote: »
    A bike will take more maintenance than a car, though maintenance is cheaper. Your insurance will be very high compared to what you're paying on your car; Even on a small bike, and assuming that you're under 25, you could be paying anything up €2k third-party on a 125cc bike.

I assumed he meant a bike as in a bicycle not a motorcycle did I pick it up wrong?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

ztoical wrote: »
    I assumed he meant a bike as in a bicycle not a motorcycle did I pick it up wrong?:confused:

Yeah, as in a push bike.

No test required etc....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Borrow a driving school car. As someone has already said, you get your pretest thrown in and don't have to worry about radiators, nct's etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Don't give up entirely. Winter's coming, don't fancy any cold mornings on a bike!

When discussing the test with my Dad, he keeps illustrating that if I fail I should keep reapplying - eventually I'll pass :p Use your past experiences to help you focus on what you've to work on.

Get a bike if you need something to get from A-B, but I keep mine for the summer weekends ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

TheElf wrote: »
    It's test time again, but of course there's more trouble for me...

Here's my "test life"

1st test (2005, RSA) - Was only driving my own car for 2 weeks, came out with 9 blues, was happy with that after only 2 weeks to be honest.

2nd test (2006) - I think I was part of a comedy tv show, tester turned up 20 minutes late, wasn't wearing the high vis, was still eating his lunch when he called me, skipped all technical checks, the drive lasted 5 minutes, and he managed to give me 16 blues during this, even ones for roundabouts, I didn't even drive on one. I made a few complaints about this one but never got a reply, but later found out this guy was fired.

3rd test (2008, SGS)
    - I had an abscess the size of a tennis ball in my jaw, but still turned up for it, the tester tried to get me to call it off, but I was willing to give it a go and ignore the pain. This test was going brilliant, with only the odd blue, but then the abscess sent a jolt of pain down my neck and I took a corner to tight, maybe it was only a blue offence, but I got a pink for it. Didn't think much of it, I just wanted to finish and go to the dentisis.

Now, time for number 4
    (2008, SGS)
    I got my letter from SGS the other day, to arrange a date, that's all well and good, until the radiator in my car decides to let me know it's had enough of these driving tests and dies. With a cost of nearly €400 to fix that I got my hands on a 01 golf on loan for now, insurance and tax is all sorted on it. But no NCT, and the NCT crowd are telling me it will be up to 6 weeks to get a test with them. And on top of that, this car needs a bit of work to pass an NCT. So basically I think I'm going to have to ring SGS and pick some far away date like the end of November and sort out either car to do the test in.

Back to my point, I think it would be easier to buy a bike! (and I'd be playing my part with the global warming too!) Thank god my provisional isn't out until Feb '09 (or is it 08??, only messin)

Anyone else have any horror stories to share? I'd love to hear them, make me feel less alone!

Just do the test!! Rent your instructors car for the test!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭SeanW

As I recall reading from somene's sig about the intricacies of tug-of-war, the best strategy is to
    keep F***ing at it.

I had a hard time getting my licenese too but it was worth it. Nothing quite like that though!

Advertisement