Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local residents

Options
  • 02-10-2008 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Attention DCU students.

stfu_lg.gif

The local residents here (Albert College/Wadlei) have tolerated occassional noisey crowds over the years but this year the noise levels are getting just a little bit uncomfortable.

As I write this, there has been a lot of screaming and shouting in and around the Ballymun road entrance for the past hour, and at 230am, these kind of noise levels are not acceptable.

Of course, early October is always a busy time here, and we hope things will quieten down as the year progresses.

Please, when revelling, bare in mind that elderly people make up a considerable proprtion of the local population, and show due consideration.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

womoma wrote: »
    Attention DCU students.

stfu_lg.gif

The local residents here (Albert College/Wadlei) have tolerated occassional noisey crowds over the years but this year the noise levels are getting just a little bit uncomfortable.

As I write this, there has been a lot of screaming and shouting in and around the Ballymun road entrance for the past hour, and at 230am, these kind of noise levels are not acceptable.

Of course, early October is always a busy time here, and we hope things will quieten down as the year progresses.

Please, when revelling, bare in mind that elderly people make up a considerable proprtion of the local population, and show due consideration.

Thanks!

I was leaving DCU via the Ballymun Road entrance around the time you posted and the noise levels weren't notable. I did not hear "screaming and shouting"... Maybe it was different shortly before or after this? And/or maybe it was just a small group?

In any case, calling your local Garda station and not posting "shut the **** up" on boards.ie might have being more productive. There were a number of Garda on campus at the time and they could have easily been despatched to sort out any noise / trouble makers.

I know it's a bit stupid to reply at this hour but I just had to agree with monument, at the time stated I was helping carry someone home and the noise levels were fine...there were plenty guards around the area and even outside the hub it wasn't too bad (much better than other times)...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭ding_dong

wow, im sorry but that is totally the wrong attitude. :| You have put MY back up and im usually so mild mannered.

I think the noise levels havent been that bad.

And they are elderly, so shouldnt they be deaf?

ouch, that was a low blow, sorry XD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Wasn't it the Freshers Ball ?

Its inexperienced first years having a good time at the start of the
    year.

Its not as if they are going to be doing this every day.*

Chances are that the majority of them (other than the 20 or so in the Freshers Ball Thread)
    are completely unaware of this forum anyway.

So in effect you are telling innocent "lurkers" to STFU.

I live in the middle of Ballymun and listen to this "craic" EVERY night.

Get over it OP and close your window at night, you wont be hearing
    noise like this other than when large events are taking place.

*(Well, not the majority of them anyway:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Do something more productive other than telling the tiny minority of DCU students who use boards to stfu and complain to the gardaí (plenty of them around dcu last night) or someone in dcu who can do something about it, I'm sure the SU would happily reiterate to keep to noise levels down if they received complaints.

Secondly, it's not as if there is anything on the scale of the Freshers ball every night or even every week for that matter, it's like once a month there's an event that big, so really In all fairness let the students have there one night and then be done with it.

Really if noise is the only major problem stemming from the night then really your blessed there's no vandalism, attacks etc. I also find it quite hard to believe that the noise levels last night were anywhere loud enough to actually keep people awake unless they were up at their pc browsing boards at that time already :)

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    I was leaving DCU via the Ballymun Road entrance around the time you posted and the noise levels weren't notable.

I meant at least not for after the Freshers Ball or the one or two other events like it across the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

Attention womoma,

stfu_lg.gif

Events of this scale are infrequent; there are only a handful of balls during the year. Of course freshers are going to be a bit rowdy; its their first ball in their first week of college. If you really have a problem, contact the SU or the gardai, instead of posting here telling us to stfu.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

The STFU image was meant in good spirit. Sorry to anyone who took it the wrong way. Perhaps it was a poor choice of image.

I'm aware that big partys in DCU don't happen often, and apart from a few occassional exceptions, students have generally conducted themselves very well over the years. I was not pointing fingers or making broad accusations.

The main point of the post was to raise some awareness among some new students and hopefully that has been acompished.

I didn't expect it would make me popular in the DCU forum. I expect further replies will follow, as of course we all know, the internet is serious business.

Thanks again for reading.

Good luck with your studys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Fair play to ya womona, don't listen to the rest of them. It's a DCU forum after all and you've every right to raise as much awareness as you want on the subject.

But I am sure that it was just a once off. I don't head back that way when I'm leaving since I'm staying on-campus so I'll never know exactly how bad it gets, but now that all the Orientation and Freshers events are over and done with it should begin to settle down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Bloody undergrads, hang the lot of em.

Postgrads on the other hand.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

TomCo wrote: »

Postgrads on the other hand.........
    Shoot the lot of em :pac:

NiSmO wrote: »

"You're not my mammy!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

NiSmO wrote: »

Ah yeah, and then you had a go on the swings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

Attention DCU students.

Thanks!

A considerable proportion of the population are students - if you want to live in a quiet area, next to a university isn't the best idea.

I'm sorry the girl i brought into the park would not STFU kicking and screaming... "help me... help me.. i don't know you!" Sorry again
    What night was that? It's just, I was at a fancy dress party recently, dressed up as a girl, but on my way home through DCU some guy dragged me into the park and tried having his wicked way with me. :p
    A considerable proportion of the population are students
    Cognos, with all due respect, that is absolute rubbish. You should check your facts before committing to writing them.

In Albert College there are about 4 houses in total rented out to students, and only a handful in all of Wadlei. My parents, aswell as most residents in this area, moved here over 30 years ago, when the DCU was nothing more than a building and a couple of prefabs, called NIHE.

Students make up an almost neglegable proportion of the population in Albert College and Wadlei.
    if you want to live in a quiet area, next to a university isn't the best idea.
    If you want to have a university in the middle of a nice quiet community, be sure the students behave themselves.
    < Both statements sound as daft and conceited as the other. Let's not get silly.

It just takes a little consideration on behalf of the students, and everyone's happy. It's not asking much really.

Oh and give us our tennis courts back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

What night was that? It's just, I was at a fancy dress party recently, dressed up as a girl, but on my way home through DCU some guy dragged me into the park and tried having his wicked way with me. :p

Hope you didn't wake the neighbors... They don't like that sort of thing.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

< Both statements sound as daft and conceited as the other. Let's not get silly.

Intentionally so and phrased the same as your statement in an effort to highlight how "daft and conceited" your argument was, sorry you didn't get that.

deise59 wrote: »
    Fair play to ya womona, don't listen to the rest of them. It's a DCU forum after all and you've every right to raise as much awareness as you want on the subject.

And nobody said s/he did not have such a right.

Or at least my post and posts below it were mostly pointing out that it would have been more productive to call the police when the "screaming and shouting" was occurring (or, if they wished, complained after). With the amount of Garda that were in the central section of the campus at the time they could have sent one or two down to the Ballymun Road entrance.

And talking about productive, saying "don't listen to the rest of them" is a more than a bit silly when s/he is trying to get us to listen.

Anyway, I think the majority of the posters (and lurkers) looking at this thread aren't the target readers of womoma's request to quite down, and that goes back to the central point made above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

*Shakes fist at noisy shower of feckers up in DCU.*
    a handful of balls
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Creadak

It just takes a little consideration on behalf of the students, and everyone's happy. It's not asking much really.

Yes, I agree with you that the noise can be rather annoying, but its rather infrequent. Like other people have already said, if it really annoys you then call the gardaí, thats your right.

At the same time though, you cannot expect me to believe that you have never walked home at half two in the morning an not been rowdy or loud, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

If you want to have a university in the middle of a nice quiet community, be sure the students behave themselves.

Oh and give us our tennis courts back too.

Now this post I find hilarious considering the little sh1ts that live in the area, most of the time when you hear a late night ruckous it's not the college age folks it's the f*ckwits that should be in bed early on a schoolnight but who's parents couldn't be arsed actually being parents and telling their kids to get in and stop hassling the neighbours.:mad:
    Lived in the area for years and have had, and heard of, FAR more problems involving the local yobs than those renting places to attend the college. Can even remember quite a few instances of local kids coming into DCU, when I was an undergraduate there, and wrecking the place because their wonderful parents weren't bothered what the kids were up to as long as they didn't have to hear about it.:mad:

Just wait for the upcoming mid-term break and you'll wish the slightly noisy college folk were your main concern, and not "which one of these idiots hanging out on the corner will throw a banger at me?":(

Now this post I find hilarious
    Oh, well if you find it hilarious, it must be utter rubbish then.
    considering the little sh1ts that live in the area
    f*ckwits that should be in bed early on a schoolnight but who's parents couldn't be arsed actually being parents

This sounds utterly snobby and conceited. I shouldn't even humour you with that attitude but I want to explain something.

I grew up in this area and I can tell you, the vast majority of people in Albert College and Wadlei are friendly, decent people.

I've seen local teenagers hanging around, drinking, and sometimes making noise, but they have never been paticularly menacing, nor have they ever contributed to the noise levels in a way that compares to local students.

I've been shouted at by a car full of students, I've had "nicknacks" on my door from local students. I've had students p1ssing in my garden, I've had lost count of the amount of Buckfast bottles aswell as other litter I've seen students throw onto Albert College Lawn or leave at the bus stop.

I'll concede that there can be noise made by older locals coming from The Slipper sometimes, but most of the teenage "little sh1ts" around here are pretty normal teenagers.
    Pointing the finger at them is pretty lame to be honest.

Don't bother coming back with "my mate got a box from a local scumbag" because your mate was probably drunk and acting like a d1ck. Unprovoked attacks on students are very rare around here.

It is quite obvious that many students need to show more respect for the local area, and it's residents, both young and old.
    "which one of these idiots hanging out on the corner will throw a banger at me?
    What do the teenagers where you come from do? Offer you flowers and shower you with confetti?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

This sounds utterly snobby and conceited. I shouldn't even humour you with that attitude but I want to explain something.
    Gee, yes, how dare I expect to be able to walk from one location to another without having to wonder if some group of lads from the local secondary school will try pick a fight with me because it makes them feel big to pick on people walking alone.:rolleyes:
    I grew up in this area and I can tell you, the vast majority of people in Albert College and Wadlei are friendly, decent people.
    I can name a few families in the area who are far from such though.
    I've seen local teenagers hanging around, drinking, and sometimes making noise, but they have never been paticularly menacing, nor have they ever contributed to the noise levels in a way that compares to local students.
    Probably not seen as particularly menacing when you're hiding in your house making daft posts blaming students for all the ills of the area.:rolleyes: FFS only a few years back there was a leaflet dispersed in the area asking parents to keep their kids off the greens due to used syringes!!:eek:
    I'm sure it was the evil students coming into Wadlei just to shoot up.:rolleyes:
    I've been shouted at by a car full of students, I've had "nicknacks" on my door from local students. I've had students p1ssing in my garden, I've had lost count of the amount of Buckfast bottles aswell as other litter I've seen students throw onto Albert College Lawn or leave at the bus stop.
    I've had the same from local teenagers, pulling over just to lob a firework or shout some stupid comments that they think is clever and funny.
    If students are in your garden doing anything call the gardai, simple as, even if they don't catch them physically the camera network should let them identify which twit it was.
    I'll concede that there can be noise made by older locals coming from The Slipper sometimes, but most of the teenage "little sh1ts" around here are pretty normal teenagers.
    Pointing the finger at them is pretty lame to be honest.
    Different from your directing blame at the students because:rolleyes:
    The DCU crowd are no worse than from any other college from the stories I hear about the different groups and most of them are in fact teenagers, so either the locals are no better or somehow the large number of teenagers in DCU is somehow abnormal whereas the smaller number in Wadlei and Albert College is miraculously different in spite of some of the DCU students coming from this area.
    Don't bother coming back with "my mate got a box from a local scumbag" because your mate was probably drunk and acting like a d1ck. Unprovoked attacks on students are very rare around here.
    Mate nothing, I even have female friends who don't drink and still get grief from the local secondry school kids. Don't drink myself either, yet I've been attacked myself simply because I happened to be passing by when the bin they'd set on fire was becoming boring. It's great that parents have taken the time to teach them equality, they'll pick on lone females as readily as lone males.
    What do the teenagers where you come from do? Offer you flowers and shower you with confetti?
    Like I said before, I LIVE IN THE AREA AND HAVE DONE MOST OF MY LIFE!
    I'm (and even those I'm friends with are) far from alone in terms of my distain of the local youth, know staff in the smaller local shops who are less than fond of them and their behaviour and are more than happy to tell stories of what they've seen and had done to them. The joyriding in the area may have died down a few years back but the general behaviour otherwise hasn't improved much.

Yes the students should show some consideration for the locals but I just feel that the noise from the odd student night is rather low down on the area's list of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

I've been shouted at by a car full of students, I've had "nicknacks" on my door from local students. I've had students p1ssing in my garden

How exactly do you attribute these acts to DCU students? Do you know they were definitely DCU students?

farohar what age are you? You're acting very childish, I'm starting to think you might be one of the "local yufe"
    I LIVE IN THE AREA AND HAVE DONE MOST OF MY LIFE!
    ..... The joyriding in the area ....
    What area? What joyriding? There has never been any joyriding problem in Waldei /Albert College, which is the area I am talking about, so quit making false accusations.

If you talking about Ballymun, yes, there are joyriders up there. That is a different area altogether though.

Anyway, thanks for bumping the thread. My point was to raise some awareness, and I feel that has been acomplished. Feel free to keep bumping the thread, perhaps a moderator will decide to sticky it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

the original post was fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

You're damn right it was fair.
    I've had the same from local teenagers

Mate, you're a local - surely to god you can distinguish the locals from the knackers of ballymun.

I'm laughing here though at some of the things that have happened to you. You must be the biggest heat seeker out there! But seriously, that car thing is usually guys from out of the locality. No one does that in their own area!!

As for the secondary schools, well that's them for ya. It can be fairly intimidating for anyone when a group of them are causing hassle but these are the same guys who are either in the comprehensive up by the tax office or the ones who are attending Aidens because they got kicked out of the comp.

I'm not saying everyone in the immediate vicinity of DCU is an angel, but by and large undergrads are the biggest pile of ****wits going. My 3 years in DCU taught me few things, but the biggest was that people moving away from home for the first time + meeting similar types + alcohol = ****wits, acting like bigger ****wits. Anyone can attest to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Coming from someone living in the middle of Ballymun, drunken college students are angels compared to what goes on around here.

No matter what time of the day or night when you walk past a group
    of students in DCU, be they drunk, stupid, first years or "****wits", there
    is no feeling/atmosphere of being attacked/stabbed.

Branding 4 or 5000 undergrads as ****wits is a bit silly when in this case
    the OP was concerned with a few isolated groups.

Advertisement