Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local residents

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

womoma wrote: »
    farohar what age are you? You're acting very childish, I'm starting to think you might be one of the "local yufe"
    Strange that earlier my complaint about the local youth had you defending them as decent people.:rolleyes:
    But nope, mid-late 20's here and just because I disagree with your idolisation of the local teens doesn't make me "childish". I agreed that the students should show consideration for the locals, but, as Shiney realised, I was pointing out that in the grand scheme of things noisy students at night are a blessing compared to the behaviour of most of the local teenagers, so complaining about all the DCU students after one or two loud nights, when we all know that there are a few crazy weeks then it all dies down seems rather silly to me, especially when others have drawn into question just how much noise there actually was.

Getting OT so taking the rest to PM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Lets please stop confusing Ballymun with Albert College and Wadlei, which were the subjects of this thread, and are in Glasnevin.

Ballymun is without doubt, a far more troubled area than Glasnevin. It's also half a mile up the road from the area this thread relates to.

Either way, discussing local teenagers behaviour is beside the point, because the initial point was a light hearted request for students to show due consideration for the local population, during party times.
    It was not an affront to students, or the DCU, or a claim that there are no troublesome local teenagers.

There are a lot of benefits from having the DCU close by, and I think most of the locals appreciate them.
    Strange that earlier my complaint about the local youth had you defending them as decent people.
    You obviously completely missed my point.
    Also, You didn't address my questions about what area you are from, where all this joyriding goes on. If you are talking about Albert College or Wadlei, you are telling porky pies.
    I wont be humouring you anymore either way, because I get the impression you'll just want the last word regardless. Feel free to "take it to PM".
    And thanks for the bump.

Lets please stop confusing Ballymun with Albert College and Wadlei, which were the subjects of this thread, and are in Glasnevin.

Ballymun is without doubt, a far more troubled area than Glasnevin. It's also half a mile up the road from the area this thread relates to.

Also, You didn't address my questions about what area you are from, where all this joyriding goes on. If you are talking about Albert College or Wadlei, you are telling porky pies.
    I wont be humouring you anymore either way, because I get the impression you'll just want the last word regardless. Feel free to "take it to PM".
    And thanks for the bump.
    The joyriding used to continue down as far as Mobhi Rd. so you can get off your high horse claiming that it didn't happen in our area, as I'm sorry to break it to you but I'm from Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

Holy Crap.

This is like an agruement between extremeists.

Lets face it. not every signle student is noisey on the way home, but alot are, and it's those lot that annoy poeple and cause me to hide my car during Balls so they dont rip off the wing mirror again!
    Maybe some locals are noisier, but have to remeber, there's alot more student drinking on any given night.

Did some one miss a point? Albert College and Wadlei are in Glasnevin, and DCU is in Glasnevin and Whitehall. Nothing to do with Ballymun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

farohar wrote: »
    The joyriding used to continue down as far as Mobhi Rd. so you can get off your high horse claiming that it didn't happen in our area, as I'm sorry to break it to you but I'm from Glasnevin.
    You make it sound like it's a regular occurrence, when it's anything but. There are incredibly isolated incidents, when you would get hardcore scum coming from Finglas or Ballymun for a bit of a holiday. Haven't heard of it happening in a few years.
    farohar wrote:
    Did some one miss a point? Albert College and Wadlei are in Glasnevin, and DCU is in Glasnevin and Whitehall. Nothing to do with Ballymun
    I think the point was that the "local" kids who are apparently far worse than students, aren't really that local.

The OP has a fair point. DCU is located in a quiet area and the university has expanded rapidly in the last decade. For those who remember the NIHE it's been quite a change. In general I think it's been a good thing for the area, but occasions like Freshers Ball are an exception.

In fairness it is a minority and the same complaints can be made about students from other colleges. The incidents this year regarding the abuse and assault of Dublin Bus drivers in UCD is a disgrace. I wonder whether this small minority of immature first years, who can't handle their drink, behave the same way when they go back home at the weekend to mammy and daddy.

• Advertisement

Mobhi road - the leafy ghetto. :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Evangelion wrote: »

Parts of areas that are right beside each other are "Nothing to do" with each other. Right.

What Garda station would the op being calling?

monument wrote: »

What Garda station would the op being calling?

That would be Santry

Maybe I'm wrong here but the Santry district station is Ballymun Garda Station? It is also the closest to DCU, isn't it? Is there any other Garda station less than a mile away?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Evangelion wrote: »
    Holy Crap.

This is like an agruement between extremeists.

Lets face it. not every signle student is noisey on the way home, but alot are, and it's those lot that annoy poeple and cause me to hide my car during Balls so they dont rip off the wing mirror again!
    Maybe some locals are noisier, but have to remeber, there's alot more student drinking on any given night.

The reason I was mentioning Ballymun was to highlight to the OP how
    bad things are in other areas to point out how students are relatively
    well behaved in comparison.

When someone is living in an area they get "accustomed" to a certain level
    of noise, people, incidents etc. I'm sure living in the Albert College area is
    quite nice and rarely has any problems. As a result of this, the few times
    a semester that there actually is noise/problems, they are more noticeable
    and in the OPs case more annoying.

I'm basically saying that its just blown out of proportion considering that
    most of the year there is very little noise. To be honest I don't think
    anyone wouldn't have responded with such hostility if it had not of been
    provoked. Which it was due to the "STFU" icon which removed any dignity
    and validity from the post.

• Advertisement

You make it sound like it's a regular occurrence, when it's anything but. There are incredibly isolated incidents, when you would get hardcore scum coming from Finglas or Ballymun for a bit of a holiday. Haven't heard of it happening in a few years.
    If you read the entire thread:
    farohar wrote: »
    The joyriding in the area may have died down a few years back but the general behaviour otherwise hasn't improved much.

I think the point was that the "local" kids who are apparently far worse than students, aren't really that local.
    Yes they are, it's just foolish snobbery, IMO, that people think any specific parts of this region are miraculously only occupied by the good kids.:rolleyes:
    Sure, there's some of them who've enough respect to leave folks alone, but there seems to be far more who don't.:(
    The OP has a fair point. DCU is located in a quiet area and the university has expanded rapidly in the last decade. For those who remember the NIHE it's been quite a change. In general I think it's been a good thing for the area, but occasions like Freshers Ball are an exception.
    The OP has complained about something which is
    • little more than a minor nuisance
    • that they know there will be but a few such instances of
    • using a somewhat confrontational image
    • ignored counterpoints from those claiming that they were about the area at the time and did not notice the claimed noise levels
    • and more to the point if the OP was genuinely bothered they would not have used a forum which only a rather small portion of the DCU students will in fact read (looking at the levels of posts it's quite clear that just like when I was an undergrad in DCU only a very small percentage of the student base are active the DCU forums in boards.ie. I only swung by to see if there was much news and got into this.).

Throw in the suspicious fact that the OP was also up posting at 2am Tuesday morning this week anyway, when nothing major seemed to be happening in DCU that night and I have to begin to suspect it was a complaint just for the sake of complaining.

Now the wingmirror incident Evangelion mentions would be good reason for complaint and I hope Evangelion did take action with the gardai and campus security in the hopes of finding the person(s) responsible, make them realise such behaviour is not acceptable, and ensure such stupidity doesn't spread.

Dad:
    Hey can you keep the noise down upstairs, I'm trying to watch the news, thank you.

Angsty defensive brat:
    Oh my God I hate you. My stereo was at like 5. This thing can go up to eleven. You don't even know the DEFINITION of noise. You make me feel like I'm some sort of psycho delinquent. Get a grip. Get a life. If you hate me that much you shouldn't have had me in the first place. UGH! You are so abusing me. I know my rights.

Dad:
    Yeah ok, thanks for the bump.

Angsty defensive brat:
    I know you are but what am I?

Dad:
    Hey can you keep the noise down upstairs, I'm trying to watch the news, thank you.

Angsty defensive brat:
    Oh my God I hate you. My stereo was at like 5. This thing can go up to eleven. You don't even know the DEFINITION of noise. You make me feel like I'm some sort of psycho delinquent. Get a grip. Get a life. If you hate me that much you shouldn't have had me in the first place. UGH! You are so abusing me. I know my rights.

Dad:

I dont get it???

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

Maybe I'm wrong here but the Santry district station is Ballymun Garda Station? It is also the closest to DCU, isn't it? Is there any other Garda station less than a mile away?

Santry is the district Garda station for the area:
    http://www.garda.ie/statlinks/dma.html

(The Ballymun and Griffith Avenue Garda stations are tiny by comparison, so this should be obvious)

Historically (A long time before Ballymun even existed in its current form), the Albert College's address was Glasnevin.

FYI before the high-rise social housing disaster that hit the area in the 1960s, Ballymun was generally considered a mixed posh/agricultural area. All the original residents fled when they saw what was happening to their area at the time.

http://www.geocities.com/newballymun/BallymunHistory.htm

http://www.brl.ie/pdf/Ballymun_A_History_1600_1997_Synopsis.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Agricultural_College

Despite all of this, An Post are obsessed with labelling the DCU area "Whitehall".

lego wrote: »
    Santry is the district Garda station for the area:
    http://www.garda.ie/statlinks/dma.html

Did you miss the station name given for the Santry district?

Did you miss the station name given for the Santry district?

Ballymun, Dublin Airport, Whitehall and Santry are all under the Santry Garda Station district. This should be clear from the link.

Ballymun, Dublin Airport, Whitehall and Santry are all under the Santry Garda Station district. This should be clear from the link.

AGAIN: Did you miss the station name given for the Santry district?

AGAIN: Did you miss the station name given for the Santry district?

There's no Garda station for Glasnevin and the closest stations to that area are Whitehall and Santry(District Garda Station).

hey right, Santry covers the 4 areas, though its not very clear there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭hopalong85

There's no Garda station for Glasnevin and the closest stations to that area are Whitehall and Santry(District Garda Station).

ballymun is the closest station to glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

no its not - Mountjoy is - depending on what part of glasnevin you live in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Dad:

Angsty defensive brat:

Dad:

Pointless post tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

gamblitis wrote: »
    Pointless post tbh.

This thread is entirely pointless.

gamblitis wrote: »
    Pointless post tbh.
    Well, Considering you gave no explanation for your point, I wouldn't have taken it seriously at all, but the fact that you wrote "tbh", validates it for me. Thanks for your honesty, and a well made point.
    This thread is entirely pointless.
    There was a "point" at one stage but it got lost among the childish defensiveness and a tangent of trivial arguments. Not to worry, it's getting so silly, I imagine it will be locked sooner or later.

One love. Peace.

There was a "point" at one stage but it got lost among the childish defensiveness and a tangent of trivial arguments. Not to worry, it's getting so silly, I imagine it will be locked sooner or later.

Some posters here seam to have a very strange problem with Ballymun Garda Station being the nearest to the area being talked about (ie around the Ballymun Road entrance to DCU).

OR maybe there a station closer, if so, could somebody here answer my question: Is there any other Garda station less than a mile away?

Santry Garda Station is easily the closest to DCU. Its a 3 minute walk from The Helix. It takes at least 15 minutes to walk from DCU to Ballymun Garda Station.

Take a look at a map, its obvious that it is the closest:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=53.384954&lon=-6.256542&spnx=0.01&spny=0.01&m=h

Some posters here seam to have a very strange problem with Ballymun Garda Station being the nearest to the area being talked about (ie around the Ballymun Road entrance to DCU).

Santry station is definitely nearest to DCU, and probably a bit closer to Albert College as the crow flies, but as far as I know, Ballymun is the "official" local station to Albert College.

Either way, from my perspective, calling the guards never really came into the equation.

Despite all of this, An Post are obsessed with labelling the DCU area "Whitehall".

I don't know what this is in Inverted Comma's, but that's because DCU main entrance is in Whitehall, and the Reception is just inside that.
    I've seen official DCU documents with that address too

Whats the big deal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement