Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house with rescued dog

Options
  • 02-10-2008 6:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

We would value advice.

Hopefully we will be moving soon, and taking with us our first wee rescued dog who is fine in the car.

Also our second rescued dog, a collie who was running wild and/or being tied up 24/7

She has come on a great deal in the year we have had her, but she has never been in a car, basically.

And there is not the time now to train her for that, or the need.

It is only a 12 mile journey but am concerned that she will freak out and the car does not have a separate compartment.

We are reluctant to sedate her and ask your advice on this; we want to make the move as easy as possible for all concered of course. She is a beautiful and devoted dog.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

This is what you can do.
    Practice short spells increasing from 1 minute to 5 minutes placing her in the car when its stationary. Praise her to the hills. Also put in the other dog in too so she doesnt feel threatened and more at ease. When comfortable switch on the car engine and let her hear the car when she is in. Continue the short spell sessions. Increase the time very slowly. Again when comfortable then move the car with them in it in and out of the drive or up and down the road. Praise again and never stop praising.
    If it helps play the radio when she is out from the car and she will be used to it by the time she is in the car.
    Secret is to keep sessions short and then to progress using lots and lots of praise.
    Add Bach flower to her water to help with her confidence.
    If all fails then seek advice from Vet but discuss it with Vet too.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

As you say theres no time or need to train her to go into the car but it pays off if you are able to. It wouldnt take that long.
    See what other members say and advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Thank you, but this is not an option and this is a one off thing. she is five years old and was severely traumatised. There is no intention of her needing to be in the car frequently either.

Because of her past trauma, if anything comes about that frightens her, she freezes and glues herself to the ground. She is so much better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Leave all the doors of the car open, and sit in it yourself .... then when she approaches and if she gets into the car, praise her. Take it bit by bit, and make her see the car as somewhere to sit and relax rather than a source of stress!

You can then proceed to close the doors in time, just don't make a big deal out of it, if you're stressing over this, then so will she!

Poor little mite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

If there is not time, then put her in a crate, cover it with a blanket and off you go. You can give her some Rescue Remedy beforehand if you like it might calm her a bit. The more fuss you make the more she will think something is wrong.

• Advertisement

Thank you; I am panicking a wee bit as she is too heavy for me to pick up!! When she went to be spayed, I had to get a large lady with a crate to take her in.

Who she took against and tried to bite apparently... But knowing the large lady concerned I cannot totally blame the dog:)

Going to trust to Prayer and love on this one when the day comes, which is very soon and too much else to do to train her.

Knowing my Jesus, the dog will just hop in and lie down as long as she can see me.....Like the other one does.

She has responded well to lead training thankfully. If she freaks out, then I wll have to stop and send for help. It is a mile to the public road to there is time to see that and I can travel in the wee small hours when there is no traffic

Next time I rescue a dog it will be a chihuaha:) One I can pick up... Not a large and heavy collie.

I suppose I should be thankful it is not a Newfie:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Are you anywhere near me? I am in Co. galway near Loughrea, I could give you a hand? Am used to nervous dogs :D

aw gee thanks:) But we are in donegal

and this one has fast become a one person dog as can happen with rescues. Today she saw off an old neighbour who used to feed her; i was mortified. So was he...

it will be fine; just the move is happening faster than I thought it would.

I will try getting her into the car tomorrow... may be fine; else the family who will help move our stuff may help by brute force:) They know her well... and it is only a few miles and only this once thankfully.....

The cats will have to be on a separate journey.. That would really get the car wrecked....:)

Advertisement